Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Flashes When Fuel Is Really Low

Tudordriver

When the fuel level goes down to the last bar on the fuel guage, the last bar flashes in a worrying manner. However when you fill up you find you have another 50 miles of fuel

What I would like to know is what happens when you are really very low in fuel? Does the last bar disappear and the R flash?

In another car, in which I ran out of fuel, there was an alarm sound, but this only went off with 200 yards of fuel left!

So have you ever run out of fuel in your iQ

Thanks

TD

• Like 1

Yep, Run out luckily at home. Managed to get home then couldn't restart the car. No change, flashing last bar only.

Fill it up before it flashes is my policy now.

Craig.

• Like 1

Just the Flashing bar and that is it, you should find there is about 2 gallon left when it starts flashing though, which could be 100 miles if you have averaged 50 mpg.

If travelling at 20-30 mph, it groans and cuts out but you can restart it. I have run it out purposely and restarted it 4 times and did about 200yrs

David

• Like 1

'I have run it out purposely and restarted it 4 times and did about 200yrs'

.... and Bob Kneale is wondering whether his IQ will last 130,000 miles.

• Like 1

It was last year that we were discussing tank sizes and speculation on

how much fuel was left when the last segment starts flashing, Ha all that work now i can't remember what the result was!!!

David

• Like 1

The petrol gauge is not the best in my view however it is adaquate, I just fill up when two bars are left, end of problem.

• Like 1

Its very ambiguois. Its very difficult to car share. For instance, i drove the car and the fuel indicator dropped down to two bars. In the morning my wife went out in it and it was back up to 3 bars. 5 miles later it had dropped to two again and a further4 miles had the last bar flashing and her panacking as she was on the motorway. So seeing the gauge at face value, you think you have 1/2 a tank, then drops to two bars. But because you dont know how much of fuel was used when it was at two bars the day before, you actually have no idea ever how much fuel you have left at any time. The ECU info is correct as its available at the OBD 2 socket but the algorithm sucks. It should never go back up once dropped. Very misleading

David

• Like 1