Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diesel Exhaust

Aidsy1

Anyone on here changed their exhaust either cat back or just back box/silencer on 2.0 diesel? I'm thinking of doing this but want to now what it sounds like. I know some diesels sound awesome without back box, and also allows turbo to spin up faster (depending on restriction of back box). The only other option i was thinking was having my back box baffles removed. Any advice/tips would be appreciated. :)

Although I have the 2.2 engine, the exhaust will be very similar. I've heard you can remove the backbox & replace it with just a pipe & your choice of tailpipe without affecting the noise level at all. If my wages were higher I'd have replaced the system with a custom cat-back by now .....

If I am correct the type of silencer that the Auris uses (mine anyway) is a straight through silencer (http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239/mavin42/Vehicles/Muffler_Cutaway.jpg similar to this one). If this is replaced with a straight pipe, surely the noise level will increase (which is what i want). If this is correct then I am tempted to just try and get the baffling removed from the exhaust as this may be cheaper. I am going to look into cat back, but will have to research into it a bit more.

To give you an idea of cost, 2 of us on the forum have been quoted £350 for a stainless steel cat-back system.

£350 for full cat-back? Unfortunately as this will be my first exhaust mod on a car (have done other mods) I don't know if this is cheap or not ^_^. I have e-mailed MIJ-Performance in Birmingham, and will see how much they are going to charge just for rear box currently.

That's where I had my Nissan cat-back made & fitted. It took most of the day, but was done to a good standard. They'll give you a choice of 3 different noise levels too. Full race is ear-splitting & illegal for road use, intermediate is ok for most cars but was loud on mine & needed a larger back box, while sport is quite a nice improvement on standard (ie. modest with a little burble).

Hope that helps, but I would certainly recommend the Walsall company's work :)

I went there before on recommendation with my note and they said they said that with a diesel the silencer can be just removed as diesels don't make the same level of noise as a petrol. It does help thanks, am just waiting on a reply from mij, if its too much may get it done in stages.

Update:

Got a reply and got quoted £174.99. Having never had this done before I don't know if this is good or not? Anyone help please xD

It's not bad, but to be honest I'd rather pay a bit less just for a backbox or more for the cat-back.

Be the guinea pig and post your results ;)

I would have had it done already, but am going to have to wait till at least October (dealers warranty) and as I'm a uni student, I need to scrimp and save :p

• 2 months later...

I was going to get it done last month, but sort of ran out of money. And now I am at uni i doubt it is going to be done anytime soon unfortunately :(

That is unfortunate. I'm looking to get my D4d done in the new year!

Post what it is like when its done. Would love to hear what it sounds like. I currently have a Cone air filter fitted, and love the sound of the turbo spooling up xD

Do you have a link to the filter you have? Any pics? Would live to do an induction kit on the D4d!

It was just one a friend had that he didn't need any more, I did have one but it was at home and couldn't be bothered to get it :P. The one I have at home is: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_163573_langId_-1_categoryId_165660 And I believe would still fit. The only problem was the MAF sensor, to fit that I made a hole at the bottom of the filter (where the rubber is) and fitted the sensor there with some silicone sealant. I'll get some pictures tonight when I get back to the car (currently at uni).

Nice one. A clip of the sound would be worth an Internet cookie or two ;)

I'll post a video when it isn't raining. PICS:
2013-10-22%2019.17.20.jpg

2013-10-22%2019.17.25.jpg

Do you pop the lid back on at all? Nice clean install btw!

• Like 1

No I didn't, my next plan is to either make a heat shield for it, or cover it with something and let the snorkel do its job. Thanks :) Probably the neatest thing on the car haha ^^

You can certainly hear the turbo more readily, but I'm wondering how much heatsoak that filter's going to suffer from now ......

If it is like the old 57i Kit I had on my megane, a negligible amount. The stock air boxes are pretty poor at heat insulation as it is. Best bet is to get exhaust wrap on the manifold, or add a cold air feed to the engine side of the filter to keep it cool, just remember to add a gauze or have it behind a grille to stop leaves and large debris being funnelled into the air filter, a pre filter if you will.

It is my plan to use the existing airbox as a mount for some aluminium with exhaust wrap on it to keep it cool, and get a cold air feed.