Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diesel Exhaust

Aidsy1

Ive had a Honda Prelude 2.2Vtech and a 2.5V6 ford with a K&N 57i and frankly I should have learned my lesson the 1st time. Sure, the 57i adds power. In the case of the Ford I rolling roaded it at Superchips (who kindly used my car to develop a map for a reasonable rate). Before the 57i was fitted I got 170bhp...they fitted the 57i and got 174....whooopeee...but then I had to come off the rollers to let a Tiff Needel car on, so I went to the shops in the car (hot day) and got a sandwich, back on the rollers and it went back down to 170bhp. Heatsoak. Both cars from the lights in traffic, especially on hot days pulled like dogs....awful.

My summary is that sure, on the road, you will get the best power gain from the cone, but the real world driving, around town, and away from the lights scenario, you are best off with either a panel filter or standard filter. You might only get half the gain of the cone overall...but it wont embarrass you at the lights! I fitted a panel filter on my SR180 prior to it being chipped and it did feel a little more responsive and freer. However, nothing like the increase I got having had it chipped.... Just my 2 cents worth...

I can see what you are saying about heatsoak, but if I'm honest when fitting the filter the last thing on my mind was power. I just love the sound of a TD with the turbo spooling up etc. I am going to make a shroud for the cone out of some spare stuff that is lying round and will see if it makes any difference. :) I appreciate the figures though, It is similar to what these guys said: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAIxeQUSg-Q

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok, so. Here's a thought (beware, this may be dangerous!!). When I was fixing my brake squeal, i noticed that the rear box is simply bolted onto the midbox. Would I be able to simply remove the back box, and can I leave it that way if i like it. Rather than spending 100+ on a new one. And if i leave it will it be legal as it's a diesel (don't need any silencing (apparently)) and the back box does absolutely nothing about anti pollution (apart from noise)

So I did the above and removed the rear back box to see if there is any difference. As it turns out there is a small amount. You can hear the turbo more, and it sounds a bit deeper. But apart from that, that's it.

• Like 1

Aup matey

I just posted on my topic again, I'm gona get the straight through pipe and may be leave the back box off see what happens then with both silencers off the car!

I may be removing the centre box this weekend. Although if it's too cold maybe not. Just use lots of wd40 on the bolts. Otherwise it's gonna take you a long time to get the bolts out.

So let me know please mate how it was, how it sounds, vid if poss matey :D catch yaz later

Can't say it sounds special, but it's definitely a bit more vocal & especially the wastegate .....

Good to know it doesn't turn into a tractor, as some diesels do when you remove a box !

Im quite happy with the sound. but at some point this weekend (i think) am going to attempt to remove the midbox and will see how it sounds. I'm hoping to hear a bit more turbo noises and , as you said buck, it to be a bit more vocal xD

Ah nice one matey, straight through and tip instead of box I'm going however I now have the cash for a full custom.....might be tempted with a double double exit.....

If you mean a total of four tailpipes, err, I can only say that's going to look a bit overkill. It isn't a Diablo after all .....

Illegal to remove the cat, or is the mid box a second silencer separate to the cat?

In that case, video when you are done please ;)

If it is possible to just remove the silencers and add a new rear box then that is substantially cheaper than a whole new system!

• Like 1

You can't remove the cat (new mot legislation) but you can (on a diesel) remove everything behind the cat.

I stand corrected.

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/doitonline/bl/mottestingmanualsandguides/mottestingmanualsandguides.htm

It says that if we require an emissions test, then we need a cat. However, diesels only require a smoke Test, so we don't have to have the cat.

I would leave the cat in personally. I am sure it was any vehicle fitted with a cat after a certain date could not have the cat removed...

I'm planning on spending a few pennies on the car next year, not worth selling due to the miles I have put on it so may as well run it into the ground.

License plate is also on the cards...

O right, I'll have a further look into it. I remember something about that being mentioned, but cant remember fully.

I could be wrong here, but I seem to remember something about vehicles since 2001 that came with a factory fitted cat, have to have them in place for the MOT ? All to do with emissions .......

Mind you, most catalytic converters are knackered by 8 yrs old - never mind 12 ! I had to replace one on my 54' reg Nissan at 70k mls.

• 7 months later...

Yeah, have done more research into this, and you are right buck, it is illegal to remove a cat (or dpf) if it was fitted at factory. When I got my mot done, I asked if they could pass me without my backbox, unfortunately they couldn't :(, but they did say that all I need is something (like a drainpipe 0.O) anyone else think it would just melt?

I think they were just saying a straight bit of pipe, not literally a drainpipe...

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

• Like 1