Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 Won't Start

Claude&Val

We have a 2010 RAV4 V6 AWD automatic with less than 60,000 km.

It will no longer start. In addition, the shift lever is locked into Park. We have followed the instructions in

the owners manual to override the shift lock. Put the car in neutral and then back into park. Try starting again, no luck. We do not hear any clicking, but a slight whirling sound. And then the shift lever is locked again in park.

Can anyone shed any light on this situation. We are 2 hours from the city and would really like to avoid a long expensive tow if there's an easy fix.

yes, the Battery is good, there's fuel in the tank as well.

This is my first automatic transmission, seems strange

to me that it is getting locked into Parl??. I've had starters

go on other vehicles, would hear a distinct clicking noise,

was always able to push start the cars. Definitely no clicking,

more like a turning noise.

The car recently underwent repairs to the front

end as we sustained a direct hit on the drivers side

tire. Unsure what parts were involved as the order list

was all in spanish. We have driven the car for a

6 hour drive and a 2 hour drive since the repair, and

a dozen short runs. Everything was normal. Until

this morning.

If you have had work done as a result of an accident I guess it could be a range of possilbilities but check to make sure all earthing points are secure and making good contact, especially Battery and engine.

• Like 1

If its in Spanish, I assume the drivers side tyre means the front left, rather than the front right as most British readers would think?

Not sure it is relevant, but every little may help. If I remember correctly, Battery is mounted front left.

You don't have any sort of recovery or home-start insurance, where a mechanic could at least come out and diagnose, even if he couldn't fix it?

yes, front left wheel was hit. We're in Panama, we shipped our car from Canada when we moved here. Apparently our insurance includes some roadside assistance - so tomorrow we'll try to get a boost and see what happens. The car was sitting in the repair shop for 10 weeks - so even though the Battery is not dead - perhaps it is too weak? As far as getting a mobile mechanic - not possible here.

We've ruled out immobilizer, as per instructions in owners manual

yes, front left wheel was hit. We're in Panama, we shipped our car from Canada when we moved here. Apparently our insurance includes some roadside assistance - so tomorrow we'll try to get a boost and see what happens. The car was sitting in the repair shop for 10 weeks - so even though the battery is not dead - perhaps it is too weak? As far as getting a mobile mechanic - not possible here.

If the Battery is weak you will struggle - there are loads of posts about this issue on the American owners club site RAV4 World..........

thank you for the suggestions - surprisingly enough a boost got the beast started - next stop Casa de Baterias for a new Battery.

apparently one of the Battery cells was damaged, and you were right Battery - is on left hand side of the car, so I wonder if it is related to the accident or just a coincidence?

I guess a severe clout from the side wouldn't have helped..............

the problem might be very simple - the car has been stored as inoperative unless to be sold + at least 20 days of transit over by sea. that has probably destroyed it. start all from the "clear piece of paper" and change the Battery. welcome to the club/regards

• Like 1