Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Will My 2013 Yaris Be Written Off?

damo23

I dont know if im posting this in the right place, so im sorry if im not.

A lorry brushed with the drivers side of my car when he was changing lanes causing damage. I know the front door just needs a new door or a paint job. The back door tho is all caved in, it closes but doesnt sit right. Also if i open the back door and look where the wheel arch is the is a small kink. Will this cause the car to be written off? There is also damage to the rear arch, and bumper. If there is anyone who knows there stuff and advise me, more just to put my mind at rest.

Thanks.

post-132932-0-05747900-1373820757_thumb.

post-132932-0-99777700-1373820793_thumb.

post-132932-0-06448100-1373820825_thumb.

A lorry brushed with the drivers side of my car when he was changing lanes causing damage. I know the front door just needs a new door or a paint job. The back door tho is all caved in, it closes but doesnt sit right. Also if i open the back door and look where the wheel arch is the is a small kink. Will this cause the car to be written off? There is also damage to the rear arch, and bumper. If there is anyone who knows there stuff and advise me, more just to put my mind at rest.

Thanks.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage1.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage2.jpeg

From your photographs I would say it is highly unlikely that the car is a write off. A few days in a good bodyshop and it will look like new again. For information on what you should do visit www.honestjohn.co.uk

Regards Geoff Peace.

• Like 1

Thanks.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage1.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage2.jpeg

From your photographs I would say it is highly unlikely that the car is a write off. A few days in a good bodyshop and it will look like new again. For information on what you should do visit www.honestjohn.co.uk

Regards Geoff Peace.

Cheers buddy. Ive been worrying myself sick thinking it would be a write off. May sound a stupid thing to say, but i wasnt sure if it would be because i didnt know if the wheel arch at the bottom of the door was part of the structural integrity, if thats the right terminology

Doubt whether this would be written off. I would be inclined to get the work done by a Toyota bodyshop however, to ensure the repairs are of a sufficient standard not to affect the Toyota corrosion warranty. The insurer will probably want you to use their approved repairer, but as far as I'm aware, they cannot insist you do. The Toyota bodyshop would probably provide a courtesy car whilst your is being repaired - but check with them.

The third party's insurer, if they accept responsibilty, may offer to repair your car. This happened to me when a third party ran into the back of a Mazda I had. I chose the repairer and the third party insurer paid for a hire car for the duration of repairs. The accident still needs to be reported to your own insurer.

If the damage is more extensive than it looks and the car is written off, most insurers have a clause where they replace your car with a new one if written off in the first 12 months - check your policy.

• Like 1

Doubt whether this would be written off. I would be inclined to get the work done by a Toyota bodyshop however, to ensure the repairs are of a sufficient standard not to affect the Toyota corrosion warranty. The insurer will probably want you to use their approved repairer, but as far as I'm aware, they cannot insist you do. The Toyota bodyshop would probably provide a courtesy car whilst your is being repaired - but check with them.

The third party's insurer, if they accept responsibilty, may offer to repair your car. This happened to me when a third party ran into the back of a Mazda I had. I chose the repairer and the third party insurer paid for a hire car for the duration of repairs. The accident still needs to be reported to your own insurer.

If the damage is more extensive than it looks and the car is written off, most insurers have a clause where they replace your car with a new one if written off in the first 12 months - check your policy.

Yes my insurance have been informed about it. Upon speaking to them, i did ask wether i can choose a body shop of my own, they were happy, i just needed to give there engineer all the details. Unfortunatly the third party isnt accepting liability, so i think it may go to court. in the meantime ill have to pay my excess. You say there is a cause with most insurers where they will replace the car with a new one. In most instances, is that regardless of fault?

cheers

For example my insurance (LV) states:

"If you are the first and only registered owner, within 12 months of buying the car from new and;

*the estimated cost of repairing the damage is more than 50% of its list price (including taxes and accessories) when the damage or loss happened, or

*it is stolen and not recovered,

We'll replace your car with a new one of the same make, model and specification. If one is not available in the UK, we'll pay you the price you paid for your car or the current manufacturer's list price (including taxes) whichever is less.

Your car will then become our property."

But check your policy.

My 8-year old Yaris had worse damage than that and didn't get written off so you should be okay!

It may have been written off if I'd let Toyota do it (The quote I got was more than the car was worth! :eek:) so I had to err on the side of caution and let the insurer's company do the repair.

They did a pretty sloppy job tho' so the car is going back for tweaking...

Given how new yours is, even getting Toyota to do the work should be well under the write-off cutoff point!

You say they did a sloppy job of it buddy, and now it's going back! Is that at your expense or is that covered my the insurance?

Well, technically it's covered by them - I refused to sign it off until I was happy with the repairs so the case hasn't been closed.

I'm more concerned about the kink at the bottom of the door near the wheel arch. Because if its part of Structural integrity am I right in thinking it would be a write off regardless of age or how new it is?

The repair costs would need to be over 50% of the car's value before the insurer would write off.

Back in 2001 I had a poor repair done by an insurer's approved repairer - the insurer didn't want to know (Aviva), which is why I wouldn't use an insurers own repairer again.

See what the bodyshop say.

I feel for you on a car so new but from the pictures it looks purely cosmetic. It would have to be far far worse to write off a newish car.

Our old (we still have it) Corolla had similar (I would say worse) damage when it was 7 or 8 yrs old and the insurance assesor never batted an eyelid. Easy repair and nowhere even near write off territory and that was on an 8 yr old car. Pictures here,

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/113145-ouch-insurance-claim-on-corolla-any-idea-of-actual-costs-and-likely-outcome/

• Like 1

Thanks mate. I ditched the insurance company's "approved repairer" I went to Toyota yesterday where I had the car from and they said if anyone else was to do the work it would void the warranty. He said it wouldn't be a write off. I know my insurance company are going to kick up a fuss because they will be paying a lot more for Toyota to repair it than if there "approved repairer" were to do the work. But I can't see how the could argue if it's gonna void the warranty. I've never owned a car from new, and I can properly say will 100% certainty this has put me off having a new one!

Thanks for all the replies!

You need an approved Toyota repair to maintain the bodywork warranty (I'm not sure what that is now tbh... 10yrs + is it) so an insurer approved repair where they give say 3 or 5 yrs isn't good enough if you plan to keep the car.

I'm sure it will all be fine and as far as I know you have the "right" to choose the repairer although you might lose out on courtesy car provision etc, depends what your insurance policy covered.

• Like 1

To be honest, I'm not bothered by a courtesy car, although Toyota have already said they will provide me with one!

I know my insurance company are going to kick up a fuss because they will be paying a lot more for Toyota to repair it than if there "approved repairer" were to do the work.

So what? Why are you worrying about that? I can assure you that a Toyota dealer will only be paid the hours for the job, the insurance companies dictate everything, what parts can be fitted, the hours, the rate, everything, stop worrying about the technicalities. Take it to your dealer and let them and the insurance company deal with it, thats what they do!

If you have any problems your Toyota dealer is there to sort it out, if you use the insurers approved repairer, your car could be taken 100 miles away to be repaired, just try and get snags sorted out when that happens, it's hard work!

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I have a 2013 myself and if anything were to happen *Knock on wood*, I'd take it to Toyota.

I wouldn't trust another shop, Especially not on a car that is still under warranty.

I think you have to get the work there right? If you are under the manufacturers warranty?

I have taken it to Toyota. £1500 for parts, then labour cost on top. It will take about a week to repair. I could have let the insurance company take it were they want, but it would have voided my warranty.

Glad to hear you're getting your Yaris fixed :) and glad you're getting Toyota to do the work rather than 'approved repairers'. At least now you'll get the job done right.

• Like 1

If only we could get the lorry driver to admit liability, then I would be very happy! And also £400 richer! Ha

I imagine his insurance will have something in it same as the car ones along the lines of: "You must not accept liability or your cover is blown." You'll just have to let the insurers fight it out on [sarcasm] your behalf [/sarcasm]

I imagine his insurance will have something in it same as the car ones along the lines of: "You must not accept liability or your cover is blown." You'll just have to let the insurers fight it out on [sarcasm] your behalf [/sarcasm]

I think you will find something similar in all insurance policies. 'On no account admit liability in the event of an accident'. Or very similar wording. If you admit fault, you have effectively taken the ground from under the feet of your insurance company.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Oh wow.

No matter who admits or was proven at fault in an accident here in the U.S.A (Texas), Both drivers end up with higher rates.

The one at fault ends up with their insurance covering the whole entire thing.

Unless it is more than what they are covered for, The difference can be settled upon or taken to a court.

In Florida it was a "No fault" state so both drivers were responsible for themselves no matter who caused the accident. Except for medical bills, The party at fault has to pay the other persons medical bills if they are sued for such.

Oh wow.

No matter who admits or was proven at fault in an accident here in the U.S.A (Texas), Both drivers end up with higher rates.

The one at fault ends up with their insurance covering the whole entire thing.

Unless it is more than what they are covered for, The difference can be settled upon or taken to a court.

In Florida it was a "No fault" state so both drivers were responsible for themselves no matter who caused the accident. Except for medical bills, The party at fault has to pay the other persons medical bills if they are sued for such.

A very similar state of affairs exists here in the UK. Each drivers insurance covers its own losses, but both drivers have their insurance increased. It is called 'Knock for knock' but even if you are not at fault you end up paying more! That's insurance companies for you.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links