Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spare Wheel For 2010 Rav

thewall

I'm thinking of buying a 2010 4wd model and as you no there is no spare,i have seen people put one in the back,is there any way i could fit one under the car if i got a bracket made,i have no intention of going of road

You would end up with a 4WD plough, Paul......not enough height clearance, nor diameter space.

Paul, if you REALLY want a spare on a later RAV, then have a look at Jill's (Jolly Friar) excellent posts on the conversion, or possibly buy a wrap back door off the earlier model and fit that. I think it should fit, but I stand to be corrected!

We did think about mounting a spare wheel underneath,

But we thought it would have meant cutting the boot floor out of the RAV, and welding one in from a Verso which does have the spare wheel underneath..

Because of the storage lockers limit the room underneath, like "Big Kev" has written... you would have a 4WD plough...

The easy option is to keep it secured in the boot... some members on here have made really great storage compartments..

Or, the perhaps the harder/expensive option, like we have done, is to change the tailgate..

Oops, sorry Liz (Jill), senior moment!!

I did the keeping it in the boot thing for many of my trips up and down the motorways when I lived in Scotland and visited the Midlands on a regular basis.. But to be honest it was a flaming chore keep lifting that huge heavy wheel in and out and Im no small bloke.... Instead I chose to keep a couple of repair kits under the floor .. One being the green slime stuff that did not knacker the tyre if used.. The second being one of the string variety . These backed up with a high quality high output 12 volt compressor.. Ok not the best and not as good as a spare wheel but as said in reality the carrying of a great big space hogging heavy wheel in the much needed luggage compartment was less than ideal

I stand to be corrected ...

Toyota are due to provide an option on the newest (4.4) Rav of a space saver wheel, altho I think it might have been delayed due to lack of parts.

I believe this will fit your 2010 Rav (presumably like mine, a 4.3). I doubt it will fit into the underfloor stowage area but will take a lot less space in the boot, and be easier to lug in and out, than a full size spare.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell me if I've got this all wrong ...

I stand to be corrected ...

Toyota are due to provide an option on the newest (4.4) Rav of a space saver wheel, altho I think it might have been delayed due to lack of parts.

I believe this will fit your 2010 Rav (presumably like mine, a 4.3). I doubt it will fit into the underfloor stowage area but will take a lot less space in the boot, and be easier to lug in and out, than a full size spare.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell me if I've got this all wrong ...

Not available until 2014, not enough space saver tyres in the world. The tyre companies make space saver tyres once a year :eek: ..................I know, don't ask :mellow:

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanx for the clarification. Am I right it will be backwards compatible with the 4.3 - I have the standard 17 inch alloys.

No idea at this stage sorry

Kingo :thumbsup:

Here (Spain) you have the option (from new, that is) of a full-size door-mounted spare - or not. Might be worth finding out from T. which (appropriate) countries offer this option, for either RHD or LHD, and ordering appropriately. When we bought our RAV new in 2003, T. pricing across Europe was uniform.

Obviously no help if trying to convert an older vehicle.

IMO, if faced with a (UK) "no-full-size-spare" problem when looking at a new Toyota, I would simply throw it back at the sales department: Obtain me one, or no sale. The list of factory-supplied options for RAVs is huge, and maybe the UK (if the problem still exists, that is) need to think again about TGB import specs. If enough folk did this . . .

This is a subject for national press and media, I guess, and now for most car manufacturers and their marketing departments.

Chris

Thanx for the clarification. Am I right it will be backwards compatible with the 4.3 - I have the standard 17 inch alloys.

New RAV with space saver has 18 inch wheels not 17 inch .

New RAV with space saver has 18 inch wheels not 17 inch .

.........but with correction of tyre profile, running radius can be adjusted to 18"..............?