Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice On New Battery

dwilson

Sorry if there is already a post on this somewhere.

My wife's petrol RAV is over 6 years old and I suspect has the original Battery. I wouldn't be surprised if it needed a new one this coming winter and would appreciate what would be the best thing to do when this happens. Normally I would go to Halfords and put a replacement one in but my son had trouble doing this with his Corolla. The other options I am considering are getting the AA/RAC to fit one of their batteries because I think it has a long warranty, or taking it to my friendly Toyota dealer (assuming I can jump start it to take it there). Or should I go to my friendly independent garage that I also trust 100% Or is there a better option?

What do you think?

Thanks,

David

Euro car parts are doing very fair prices on Bosch batteries, they are delivered but you can take them back to any euro car parts outlet if you get a warrenty issue. I purchased one for my Lexus is300 and was hard pushed to find another Bosch dealer cheaper.

• Like 1

The Toyota Optifit batteries are good quality and prices are reasonable too

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Euro car parts are doing very fair prices on Bosch batteries, they are delivered but you can take them back to any euro car parts outlet if you get a warrenty issue. I purchased one for my Lexus is300 and was hard pushed to find another Bosch dealer cheaper.

Thank you - that's useful to know.

David

That sounds very encouraging - thank you.

David

yes it is correct -- mine new one (toyota's original) serves me 3rd year even though it was an idle during 18 days. the engine is well started. do not safe money on quality. regards

yes it is correct -- mine new one (toyota's original) serves me 3rd year even though it was an idle during 18 days. the engine is well started. do not safe money on quality. regards

Many thanks - I will do that when the time comes.

David

David

The original Battery in our 5-dr was 9.5 years old when I finally replaced it - more out of fear that it might not survive that coming winter rather than outright failure. I got the replacement from Mr.T which, as Kingo has said, was a reasonable price, good warranty and a known quality item.

I'd recommend it.

David

The original Battery in our 5-dr was 9.5 years old when I finally replaced it - more out of fear that it might not survive that coming winter rather than outright failure. I got the replacement from Mr.T which, as Kingo has said, was a reasonable price, good warranty and a known quality item.

I'd recommend it.

That's interesting, 9.5 years, perhaps I am being hasty! The car starts fine in this weather but when it was cold last winter it seemed to be turning over rather slowly and I thought that maybe this winter would see the demise of the Battery.

By coincidence yesterday I had to replace the Battery on an old Micra that my daughter uses occasionally. I followed Bob's recommendation and was just about to order online when I found the receipt for the last one that I had bought from a retail outlet. It was just under 3 years old but still under guarantee and they swapped it for me! Mind you less than 3 years isn't too good!

David

David

I'd recommend it.

That's interesting, 9.5 years, perhaps I am being hasty! The car starts fine in this weather but when it was cold last winter it seemed to be turning over rather slowly and I thought that maybe this winter would see the demise of the Battery.

By coincidence yesterday I had to replace the Battery on an old Micra that my daughter uses occasionally. I followed Bob's recommendation and was just about to order online when I found the receipt for the last one that I had bought from a retail outlet. It was just under 3 years old but still under guarantee and they swapped it for me! Mind you less than 3 years isn't too good!

David

And if I hadn't chickened out, it might still be going! As they age, batteries will struggle a bit more in cold weather simply because the oil is that little bit thicker on a frosty morning & all the rortating bits (alternator, pumps, etc) don't spin up so easily in the cold so it's not unusual for it to behave as you've said.

The battery in the 4.2 petrol admittedly is somewhat marginal in terms of size & cranking power so the winter symptoms are more pronounced as it ages. Nevertheless, it never failed to start even in the arctic conditions that we had in 2009-10 (I think?). Replacing it was more to do with my suspicions than anything else.

David

I'd recommend it.

David

And if I hadn't chickened out, it might still be going! As they age, batteries will struggle a bit more in cold weather simply because the oil is that little bit thicker on a frosty morning & all the rortating bits (alternator, pumps, etc) don't spin up so easily in the cold so it's not unusual for it to behave as you've said.

The battery in the 4.2 petrol admittedly is somewhat marginal in terms of size & cranking power so the winter symptoms are more pronounced as it ages. Nevertheless, it never failed to start even in the arctic conditions that we had in 2009-10 (I think?). Replacing it was more to do with my suspicions than anything else.

Many thanks Jim. I will see if I can hold me nerve this winter! They are cracking cars though.

David

Mine died after only 3 yrs, but I wonder if it is shorter for diesels. Our car mainly does trips of 15 mins, won't help (they are down the motorway though).

Mine died after only 3 yrs, but I wonder if it is shorter for diesels. Our car mainly does trips of 15 mins, won't help (they are down the motorway though).

Not good but it may be the diesel thing. Our 3-dr is 54-reg and it's still on its original Battery, so 9 yrs old come September. Seems OK so far...............

I'd rather suggest to buy the stuff from dealing sites. Got a good deal on deep cycle Battery for my Corolla Atios. I'd suggest a commercial site if you were in NZ.