Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rattle Like A Bag Of Hammers During The Start Sequence.

Bagpuss53

Hi All,

We own a RAV 4 with the D4D 2Ltr engine, first reg'd Sept 2005. The vehicle has been in our possession since March this year, we love the car even after early issues with the turbo which were cured under warranty.

I am now curious to know whether the momentory rattle at the turn of the key is normal (sounds like the characteristic "knock" of an early diesel), starting takes rather longer than I'd prefer too.

Hi All,

We own a RAV 4 with the D4D 2Ltr engine, first reg'd Sept 2005. The vehicle has been in our possession since March this year, we love the car even after early issues with the turbo which were cured under warranty.

I am now curious to know whether the momentory rattle at the turn of the key is normal (sounds like the characteristic "knock" of an early diesel), starting takes rather longer than I'd prefer too.

Forsooth, my liege, canst thou desist from the use of yonder script, for it bringeth mine eyes to play Pontoon.......one sticketh, the other twisteth

Is it a tinkling kinda noise too, and how does the clutch feel in both operation and drive....any slipping? Your model is prone to DMF failure (Dual Mass Flywheel).Have a wee search hereon and a read.

Thanks for the reply,

No tinkling, clutch positive, clutch and flywheel replaced at 60,000 mls.

Thanks for the reply,No tinkling, clutch positive, clutch and flywheel replaced at 60,000 mls.

......and the mileage now...?

Hi All,

starting takes rather longer than I'd prefer too. ---- check with glow plugs condition; injection quality; injector tips condition. it looks you start to have an overfueling effect braking normal starting process. regards

mileage now 73000

• Like 1

i suggest it is due time for injectors testing

regards/Igor

The D4D isn't the most refined engine noise-wise, but it should start without fuss. A momentary rattle is fairly normal for most diesels on start-up.

The OE Denso glowplugs tend to be extremely reliable, and if one of them is down/out starting will be really lumpy and ragged.

First check is the Battery (and Battery connections). If it's not doing its stuff, the power fed to the glowplugs (which continue to operate for a short period after starting) will be reduced.

If the Battery is old, replace it (go for minimum of 800A CCA*, trusted brand, diesel spec.) before looking elsewhere.

Chris

* CCA = cold cranking amperage. 800 is good; 930 is about the best available.

Chris.....as a matter of education, do glow plugs " come in to play" even in our current very warm temps...? I thought they were cold weather / thermostatically controlled starting aids?

Big Kev

Chris.....as a matter of education, do glow plugs " come in to play" even in our current very warm temps...? I thought they were cold weather / thermostatically controlled starting aids?

Big Kev

Depends on what magazines you read Kev...................

Forsooth, my liege, canst thou desist from the use of yonder script, for it bringeth mine eyes to play Pontoon.......one sticketh, the other twisteth

LOL, I can envisage Lord Blackadder B_K in doublet and hose :D: :D: :D:

"...do glow plugs "come in to play" even in our current very warm temps...? "

The glowplugs operate as follows:

-13C 6s 120s

+8C 3.7s 120s

20C 2.5s 120s

28C 2.1s 70s

40C 1.6s 1s

55C 1.0s 1s

The first figure is Water Temperature

The second figure is Instrument Panel Glowplug Indicator time, seconds

The last figure is After Glow Time, seconds - i.e. post-heating, after the engine has fired.

Chris

Data from 1CD-FTV Toyota Repair Manual, Section ST-1, 5/2001 supplement.

Ah asked in the spirit of education.........now I have an honours degree !!! LOL.

Totally astounded at the lengh of some of the colder delays......120 secs eg. Thanks Chris.

The "afterglow" (post-heating) is there to reduce smoke on start-up.

Years ago, when the dash light went out (time depending on temperature), the glow-plugs extinguished too. So, on very cold winter mornings, it sometimes paid to switch on, let the light go out, then switch off and repeat the process - thus getting a well pre-heated start. A good bit of black smoke for a few seconds was to be expected back then, which didn't do the image of diesels much good (some buyers even cited it as a reason not to buy diesel). Hence today's post-heat, along with ever more powerful glowplugs, and seemingly shorter pre-heat times. In practice, the total heating time isn't reduced - it's just that the dash-light goes out very much sooner . . . . . Which means, on a freezing winter morning, don't try starting immediately the light extinguishes: wait say 10secs more - the glowplugs will still be working.

C.

The "afterglow" (post-heating) is there to reduce smoke on start-up.

Years ago, when the dash light went out (time depending on temperature), the glow-plugs extinguished too. So, on very cold winter mornings, it sometimes paid to switch on, let the light go out, then switch off and repeat the process - thus getting a well pre-heated start. A good bit of black smoke for a few seconds was to be expected back then, which didn't do the image of diesels much good (some buyers even cited it as a reason not to buy diesel). Hence today's post-heat, along with ever more powerful glowplugs, and seemingly shorter pre-heat times. In practice, the total heating time isn't reduced - it's just that the dash-light goes out very much sooner . . . . . Which means, on a freezing winter morning, don't try starting immediately the light extinguishes: wait say 10secs more - the glowplugs will still be working.

C.

Any chance of a ciggie during the "afterglow"?? :lol:

...Only if you're quick...

If it misfires it will knock. Start with the fuel filter as always.