Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No Reverse Gear

nanook3939

Hello to all the helpful people out there, i have recently purchased a 99 Yaris 998 for my son. On purchase i was told that the gears are sometimes difficult to find OK - so i towed the car home.

i have replaced the clutch and the release bearing

i have bleed the clutch

i have replaced the 2 cables from the gearstick

The car when running will slip into 1-5 ok

when i try to engage reverse with the clutch fully depressed there is a crunching noise.

My first question is - with the clutch depressed should there be any rotation in the gearbox??

My second Question is - how often should the clutch cover plate be replaced

My theory is that as gears 1-5 have syncro and reverse doesn't, that the clutch cover plate is not fully releasing the gearbox from the transmission and this is causing the problem???

i await your helpful advise before setting about removing the box and replacing the cover plate

You are correct, there is no syncro on reverse

You said you changed the clutch and release bearing, do you mean just the centre plate and bearing, you did not change the clutch pressure cover?

The pressure cover has internal springs which if weak, do not allow the clutch to break from the flywheel and you get the symptoms you have described

Kingo :thumbsup:

thanks for your reply - i guess i need to take the time out and replace the clutch cover plate :(

Replacing one part of the clutch is NEVER good engineering practice. There are threads running on here relating to RAV's which suffer DMF failure and owners looking to cut down on expense by not replacing at the same time, it is a false economy as you have just found out

Whilst the gearbox is out, just make sure there is no sign of oil on or around the flywheel or in the bell housing, as this can also make the clutch "drag" causing a similar issue too

Thanks for the info - im not a mechanic but just handy with my hands, i have checked for possible leaks and found none. as for the cover plate i didn't realize this was supposed to be replaced with the clutch as i just went to eBay and bought a clutch replacement kit - you live and learn

Cannot understand why the pressure plate was not sold in the kit, they are usually 3 in 1 kits

If the job took 5 minutes you could perhaps take a punt and only do the centre plate, but as it takes a couple of hours, it is false economy, as you say, you live and learn

Good luck getting it sorted, give the flywheel a good clean up and also the input shaft to ensure the clutch fork moves freely, put a very light coat of lithium based grease on the input shaft, dont oil it as dust off the clutch will stick to the oil and possibly cause future problems

thanks for your reply - i guess i need to take the time out and replace the clutch cover plate :(

And the clutch release bearing. I agree with Parts-King 100% It is good practice to replace the pressure plate, cover plate and thrust bearing as a matched set. As he says they usually are sold together as a kit. I usually replace the crankshaft spigot bearing, just to be certain.

Regards Geoff Peace.

And the clutch release bearing. I agree with Parts-King 100% It is good practice to replace the pressure plate, cover plate and thrust bearing as a matched set. As he says they usually are sold together as a kit. I usually replace the crankshaft spigot bearing, just to be certain.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Sorry, got confused, I meant to say Clutch plate, pressure plate and thrust bearing.

Regards Geoff Peace.