Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mpg

TwNewcastle

Have a 1.6 tr,

Have had it for a few months now and after a700 mile trip the car is reading that the average mpg is now up to nearly 49 mpg.

Is this correct ,will be really pleased if I'm getting near to that for a petrol engine.

49mpg???

You Sir are either lying, deceived or uniquely talented. I jest though, I'm sure you are no liar. But 49mpg is certainly an impressive figure. I also own a 1.6 TR, an '07 plate. My average MPG reads 32ish, I mostly run short journeys and only pull about 10k annually.

I admit, I'm not naturally the most economical driver in the world. But I would be interested to see how many other 1.6 petrol owners manage figures close to your 'near 50mpg' wonder!

Problem is though, I don't entirely trust the car's digital 'guesstimations' (on mine at least). £20 in the tank could mean either 2 or 3 bars up on the petrol gauge depending on a variety of circumstances. While I've never been caught out (running out of petrol), I don't feel the information given is entirely dependable. Do others feel this way, or just me?

Hi,

We have a 1.6 Auris SR and currently get around 33.5 mpg with mainly short runs up to fifteen miles or so. On a mix of short and longer runs (100 miles plus) we get about 35 mpg.

All these figures are calculated 'brim to brim' over 21,000 miles. The computer in the car reads roughly 5% over the actual mpg which is fine unless you are sad like me and have logged every drop of petrol bought in the past twenty five years and 750,000 miles!!

My Auris (1.4 L) best mpg is 46 - I got it when I drove little more then 300 miles with maximum speed 65 mph - I rarely get this consumption; usually, on motorways driving like a nun, bellow 75 mph I get 42 mpg; usually, my average mpg is 39 in the summer and 37 during winter.

Well I've only had the car 4 months,bought 2 nd hand with 7 k on the clock,and the readout on the car was average mpg was 27,

Assumed the first keeper only did short runs.

Since I've had the car the average mpg readout has risen to nearly 49 mpg..

Even on long runs I rarely drive over 60 mph.

Nice to see another 1.6 petrol getting more in the mid/lower 30s on the MPG battle - I don't feel so bad now. The official figures do indicate around the 30mpg mark for combined urban/motorways, however.

I should expect diesels to be the upper end of 30 to mid 40s in MPG, I'd be worried otherwise. Diesels fail in economy only when they consistently run short journeys, otherwise I'm a secret diesel fan.

Over 70mph (in any car) and the aerodynamics in terms of economy goes out the window. For motorway journeys, 'nun-style' driving as Tavy above described it is your best bet. I don't think there's much else for those of us who live in urban areas can do... short of using my Oyster Card more often.

My only wish with my 1.6 TR is that it had a 6th gear! I would LURVE a 6th gear, cruising at 65mpg in 5th and the engine is sitting around 4,250rpm!!! I thought at first the car needed more sound insulation, but then I released I just need another gear, save sound, fuel AND money... 5th gear is soo low, I use it regularly in urban/suburban driving, but the motorway is just too much for it.

Personally however, other than the original post in this thread, I've never known any petrol 1.6 to achieve more than 35/38mpg. That said, the driver has a lot to do with economy as well as the type of use the car is put to. Well done to those who have achieved such great figures, though.

My auris has a sixth gear, perhaps that combined with my driving style is why I'm achieving the average mpg I am.

Mines a 2011 model

Ahhh... 2011 model! Explains a lot. That means you got the 'Valvematic' engine I think, the stats on this engine are significantly better than mine. A full 10hp and Torques more, better emissions etc and all from a simple re-designed head. I didn't know it had an extra top-end gear and that much better economy though, I'm impressed. Nice!

Well I've only had the car 4 months,bought 2 nd hand with 7 k on the clock,and the readout on the car was average mpg was 27,

Assumed the first keeper only did short runs.

Since I've had the car the average mpg readout has risen to nearly 49 mpg..

Even on long runs I rarely drive over 60 mph.

That actually explains a lot - you obviously drive in a very fuel-efficient manner & the 6th gear helps keep the MPG high.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links