Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.2 Or 2.0 D4-D That Is The Question!

ajenks70

HI, I am looking into buying an avensis to replace my 125k tdci mondeo which needs a clutch and dmf.

Looking around 07/08 models. I would really like a T180 model as I tow a caravan, but having read about the problems with the d4d 2.2 I am a bit concerned. Is this a problem with all the engines or just a few unlucky ones?

Thanks, Andy

Fairly common problem on the 2.2 I believe. Also the 2.2 doesn't give good fuel economy either. Have a browse around, Toyota have a longer warranty on them if you have full Toyota History.

Fairly common problem on the 2.2 I believe. Also the 2.2 doesn't give good fuel economy either. Have a browse around, Toyota have a longer warranty on them if you have full Toyota History.

Its a fairly common problem which affects all Toyota AD engines - be it 2.0 or 2.2 D4D (google AD Warranty Bulletin). I'll be honest, I wouldnt go any older than a 08 whatever you buy - that way you will have a few years of goodwill warranty left (7yrs/112k miles). Check with Toyota the registration numbers of any cars you are interested in - you may come across one that has already had its engine replaced.

I drove the 2.0 D4D in an Auris SR (which is lighter than an Avensis) and I thought it was dead, so id imagine it wouldnt be the quickest at all in an Avensis. On the plus side, the 2.0 D4D is undoubtably better on fuel, the 2.2 isnt overly fantastic, but it has 177bhp and 295 ft/lbs of torque (expect early to mid 30s around town and late 40's driven at fast motorway speeds) - to me, the T180 stands out much more than the rest of the Avensis range, nice wheels and lovely seats. With towing a caravan you will appreciate the extra grunt of the 2.2 as well.

We seem to have missed the 2.2 in 150 bhp guise having spoken to many 180 & 150 bhp owners they all preferred the 150 bhp as although the torque is lower than the 180 it is delivered quicker lower down in the rev range than the 180 which has a more even spread. The caravanners preferred the lower torque range in the 150 rather higher revs required in the 180.

The later mk2 Avensis was available with three Diesel engines

2.0 127bhp 1adftv

2.2 147bhp 2adftv

2.2 177bhp 2adfhv

Also worthy of mention is the 150bhp doesn't have dpf filter which the 180 does these can be problematic.

All of these engine pre 2009ish can suffer from the well documented head gasket or oil consumption issues for which Toyota have extended the warranty to 7years/111946miles. Obviously it makes sense to get the lowest mileage, youngest model with the best Service history you can

So the T27 2.0 diesel still has an AD engine and therefore as prone to head problems as the previous model?

So the T27 2.0 diesel still has an AD engine and therefore as prone to head problems as the previous model?

All AD engines are affected buddy, just google "AD Warrranty Guidelines" and all 2.0 and 2.2 D4Ds between late 05-09 are affected. I actually walked away from an 08 Auris SR 2.0 D4D as the coolant was low after being serviced a few months previous. Just wasn't worth the risk.

I would go with the 2.2 150bhp hatchback, I find it has loads of power when you need it, great mpg, nice to drive and no DPF to worry about as in the T180 model.

Pete.

All AD engines are affected buddy, just google "AD Warrranty Guidelines" and all 2.0 and 2.2 D4Ds between late 05-09 are affected. I actually walked away from an 08 Auris SR 2.0 D4D as the coolant was low after being serviced a few months previous. Just wasn't worth the risk.

To say ALL AD engines are affected is not correct yes pre 2009 can have issues but actually the vast majority of these earlier cars have had and will continue to have no issues whatsoever. After 2009 Toyota have fixed the issue and whilst there have been reported issues these are very few and far between and well within normal expectations.

I would agree, if you tow a caravan as I do then avoid the t180 it is higher geared than the 150 and you would end up towing everywhere in lower gears to keep it in the torque range or at very illegal speeds to do the same. the difference between the 2.0 and the 2.2 fuel wise is quite small and in fact when towing the 2.2 is more economical I have the 2.2 150 and my son has the 2.0 both tourer variants of the T27 and we have proven this many times whilst going to the same place together.

>>

To say ALL AD engines are affected is not correct yes pre 2009 can have issues but actually the vast majority of these earlier cars have had and will continue to have no issues whatsoever. After 2009 Toyota have fixed the issue and whilst there have been reported issues these are very few and far between and well within normal expectations.

Sorry I meant that 2.0 and 2.2 D4D's within certain years as outlined in the warranty bulletin can suffer from this fault.