Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diesel + Additive

spoofpig

As a new diesel owner i was wondering what people thought about diesel additive such as redex etc, a long-term diesel owner was telling me about the dirty low quality supermarket fuels and recommend adding additive every now and again. As there are several supermarket filling stations in my locality i use them quite often but if i pass a bp garage i will fill up on super diesel will this keep the engine clean??? should i go out my way to fill up on good stuff or will a bottle of red ex be sufficient?

Avoid the supermarket pish, use only branded diesel, and run through a can of BG244 every 10k or so. If you can stretch to it, Shell V-Power new Nitro stuff has my car running like a good wan (IMHO......remember). If you believe supermarket diesel does the same job, you probably would not be asking. Oh.......how I hope the world has run out of cans of worms.....LOL.

Just keep off the inferior supermarket stuff and stick to branded diesel with intermittent advanced diesel fill ups would be my advice.

That being said some favour these:

Archoil AR6400-D & BG244 for Diesel

i try to add premium stuff when i can but Shell and bp garages are out of town but there is an asda,morrisons,tesco,sainsburys and a lidel which sells rather nice raindeer steaks so supermarket fuel is handy and accessable

i try to add premium stuff when i can but shell and bp garages are out of town but there is an asda,morrisons,tesco,sainsburys and a lidel which sells rather nice raindeer steaks so supermarket fuel is handy and accessable

At least now ah know why Santa hasnae been for a few years. Choice is yours, Adrian, but would not be me......exacerbating a well documented set of problems like egr, catalysers, dpf. Regular maintenance deffo called for with either of the two Davrav lists, again.....IMO.

bg244 ordered off Amazon, to be fair the rav runs like a dream well maintained so maybe going a few extra mile to fill up with some quality loopy juice shouldnt be the chore i make it out to be cheers guys

I never "felt" any real difference when I converted from Morrisons to Shell, but its what's happening on the insides- long term that's worth the extra money. Get a Shell card and get some points at the same time!

I'm like you, I have to make a special trip to fill up where as I pass the morrisons every day. Still get their milk though, 3x4 pints for £3!!!?!! Milkshakes all round (banana is my favourite) have I slipped off-topic??!

Dave

FFFS.......reindeer steaks and milk shakes.......these surely are not Rav specific topics.....?

Youz won't catch me going off topic.......

Witheld.......

I use only Vpower diesel or Shell Optimum in my cars.. I did 40K miles plus in my rav in 2 years and after exhaustive testing and careful monitoring I can assure you I did get better MPG from both cars..

I genuinely cannot think of a reason for using supermarket pish.....

As for additives I dont bother. I know some are fans like me ole mucker Timmuffy but using the best fuel as above is good enough for me.. I only ever used supermarket fuel to prove a point or if I was stuck and couldn't get proper fuel.

• Like 1

Just keep off the inferior supermarket stuff and stick to branded diesel with intermittent advanced diesel fill ups would be my advice.

Agreed . . . and add to that list

Miller's Diesel Power Plus and Wynn's Diesel System Treatment

- they're all very similar products.

Chris

Chris

Similar yes but Millers DPP is meant to be used at every fill but the others are occasional use. ;)

I use Archoil 6200 with V-Power.

Chris

Similar yes but Millers DPP is meant to be used at every fill but the others are occasional use. ;)

I use Archoil 6200 with V-Power.

At what intervals / regularity do you add Archoil, Dave? Used the petrol version in wife's 3 door couple of months back, told her nowt. When she comes in and says her car running great.....that means it makes a difference.

Archoil 6200 is a `at every fill` additive Kev, its expensive but you only use a minute amount... 1ml - 10 litres.

Archoil 6200 is a `at every fill` additive Kev, its expensive but you only use a minute amount... 1ml - 10 litres.

Cheers Dave......will do some sums, as mostly short journey stuff I do now. Must check actual Archoil I put in Funnerburd Too, as that was a whole 500ml bottle to 70 litres of petrol.

In a fast run back from our catapult city of Edingburgh, obc was showing 38.7mpg, and that was in Sport mode, which does not select sixth gear automatically (which is bloody daft). Did not exceed 80mph and temperature 26C.

Plus get yer own name......just coz you are two stone heavier doesnae give ye sole rights to Victor Mildew's name.......ah bagged it by repute years ago......

Plus get yer own name......just coz you are two stone heavier doesnae give ye sole rights to Victor Mildew's name.......ah bagged it by repute years ago......

Suitably changed :laughing:

I use only Vpower diesel or Shell Optimum in my cars.. I did 40K miles plus in my rav in 2 years and after exhaustive testing and careful monitoring I can assure you I did get better MPG from both cars..

I genuinely cannot think of a reason for using supermarket pish.....

As for additives I dont bother. I know some are fans like me ole mucker Timmuffy but using the best fuel as above is good enough for me.. I only ever used supermarket fuel to prove a point or if I was stuck and couldn't get proper fuel.

You know's I loves me Snake oils! Lol... :doctor:

• Like 1

You know's I loves me Snake oils! Lol... :doctor:

Me too ;)

I ve never been a fan of either additive when owed diesel - but only good quality diesel is cure for all possible issues.

regards

• Like 1

On a slightly different but similar theme....I'm currently trying out Forte turbo cleaner additive. All reviews I have found are positive and it was suggested by my local independent who has used it to good effect. Used a tank full of BP derv with 2 bottles of cleaner added so far and engine warning light has extinguished itself now after several egr flow codes. Fingers crossed.

I`ve seen some on eBay but not used it, pleased your having positive results :thumbsup:

How does a turbo cleaner work exactly...?

Oh the relief......I was scared to ask that. My turbo cleaner has a wedding ring and a dirty oily toothbrush...

The Forte one is just added to the fuel tank but others are sprayed into the intake via the air hose after the filter

I can't get my head round any product of combustion cleaning anything and would previously have said it was all a load of rubbish but when it was suggested to me I looked at reviews on various sites and lots of people have had great results. Even Mrs Pogle remarked how much better the car is driving. Without sounding sexist there must be a significant difference for her to tell as she's not usually bothered as long as i've put fuel in it and the radio works.

Local independent said he has recently had a diesel in bits that had been treated with forte and everything on the exit side of things was very clean. He doesn't sell the stuff so no reason to make it up.

• Like 1