Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis 1.8 - Is This Car Before Or After The Oil Drinking Fix

steve07805

Hi,

I have been looking at getting an Avensis when a friends parents offered to sell theirs.

The car is a 05 plate and is the 1.8 petrol.

I had a look at this Bulletin (Found a link on another forum post) http://toyota-club.net/files/07-01-10/eg6020-toy.pdf to try and see if this car was manufactured before or after the fix but have got a bit stuck as they VIN is not on this bulletin.

The Avensis VINS on the bulletin are:

SB1BZ56L90E036113

SB1BR56L90E129522

The car I am looking at is

SB1DR56L70E116664

It may be that I just dont understand how VINS work or that the car model is not listed on this bulliten but do you know if the car is before or after?

Many thanks!

Steve

Your car was made in March 2005, sadly 2 months before the production change

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi, THanks for the reply.

Oh well that is a shame, I think I will give that car a miss then and look for something 52 plate or older.

Just out of interest how do you find the month from the VIN? I found out how to tell the year but could not tell the month.

Thanks

If I were you i would ask the owners how regular they checked the oil and if it needed topping up. Not every vvti engine had the oil burning problem from what has been said on this forum.

Other factors like mileage and condition and service history. I believe the warranty period is 7 years but that needs confirming.

The vvti engine oil burning issue started from when the engine was introduced - 2000. So unless you can be sure of any car, this could be a good buy.

Now that does sound rich coming from a lean-burn owner!

Hi, THanks for the reply.

Oh well that is a shame, I think I will give that car a miss then and look for something 52 plate or older.

Just out of interest how do you find the month from the VIN? I found out how to tell the year but could not tell the month.

Thanks

I pop the VIN number into my parts catalogue and hey presto!!...............it tells me the production date :D: :D:

I did ask them abou the oil consumption when I went to have a look and they said they have never had to top it up between the 10,000 mile services. It has a full Toyta service history.

They wanted £2500 for it, 88,000 miles. It is the T3-S model.

Thanks

How much :eek: :eek: :eek:

Robin Barstewards

• Like 1

I have just Px my 1.8 Petrol 2000 and got a 2007 model. Used to top up the oil every month and used about 5L a year. But I must say it was the best car I have ever had by a mile. Passed every MOT in 5 years and never let me down once.

Only had the 07 a month and I have noticed:

Vibrations when breaking, been told the tyre compound are too hard!!!

3rd Gear grinding when changing. having it looked at this week.

Only 320km to a full tank...IS THIS NORMAL?.....sorry...calming down now.

Cost £2800 with 129k on clock.....Part service history....WAS IT WORTH IT?......Grrrrrrrrrr......Not yet.

Good luck with the T3-S if you buy it.....Sure it will be fine....its a TOYOTA.