Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lpg Conversion For Avensis

Lazyporter

Good day to all

I drive an Avensis 2003 model hatchback 2.0VVT-i automatic, brilliant car, solid and no problems. My question is about an LPG modification, where does the LPG tank sit and how big is it? And are there any comon faults involved with this model? It is currentley at 78000 KM FSH.

Any advice would eb welcome.

Thank you in advance and kind regards

Lazyporter

It's your spare wheel in the bottom of the boot (on the inside)? If yes, that is where the tank goes.

I had an Accord converted a few years ago, the donut (it does have a fancy name beginning with t) tank fits in the spare wheel well. I had a 60l tank fitted which gave me approx 50l of lpg to a full tank (they never fill 100%).

You will probably read a lot of horror stories about valve seat recession or wear. The honest truth is, as long as you start with a healthy engine, and have the flash lube system fitted, lpg will not damage your engine.

If you have a problem with your engine, chances are lpg will highlight it more as it is not as forgiving as petrol.

Thank you Aceshigh84.

Seeing as that the spare wheel on the Avensis is not a space saver biscuit, it would make for a good fuel tank holder and I won´t lose my valuable boot space.

I´ll ask my dealer if I can maybe expand the spare wheel compartment out into rear wings of the car, there is at least another 20 litres there both sides. But it still needs to be legal as the Germans are very particular on their legislation about how a car should be.

OK ignore my earlier idea of expanding the LPG tank into the rear wings of the car, I would have to cut through the "super" structure of the car all sorts of problems in that.

To all concerned.

I spent the the whole day running around town looking for a dealership or garage who could install an lpg unit in my car, an avensis. Most just showed me the door as soon as they heard I have a Toyota. Then I went to Toyota self and asked them why this is so. They simpley said Toyota VVT-i engines are not made to handle the higher burning temprature of the gas. It burns the valve seating away, the knife edge seal face where the valve and the cylinder head meets. It normally lasts up to 20 000 km and the whole thing about cheking valve clearences does not help in the long run. Valecare that comes with the installation I was told by the Toyota dealer does not help at all. So the options are simple, a new or reconditioned cylinder head every other 20 000km or a petrol car that runs on petrol only and lasts longer.

Hope this helps other avensis owners to avoid unesesary engine damage and repair.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links