Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What To Get Now?

Hoovie

So my RAV4 150SR was stolen around two weeks ago as some may recall....

Banked my Insurance Payout this afternoon (value agreed and cheque sent out within two weeks of reporting loss, which I am really happy about :) ) and need to decide what to get now?

Don't like the new RAV4.4; Don't really want to get another RAV4.3 SR (economy just to painful, and don't tend to get another car the same)

I need a day to day driver which has creature comforts, but also I am thinking I need carrying capacity for new business ventures separate to my current Refurb business. So have to decide on two vehicles - one car of some kind, and a van, or do I combine the two functions into one vehicle and get something like a VW Transporter Kombi, with rear seats and a lot of space behind? Or an MPV with a little less carrying space? Or just a standard car (maybe even a RAV4.2?) and a VW Caddy size van? Or a van and a 'fun' car like an MR2 or Celica??

Been trying to work this out for 2 weeks now and still not sure what to do, but the VW Transporter route appeals due to the sheer Pimpability it offers.

Any suggestions or ideas welcome :)

Well, the just announced Bentley won't be ready in time so that's out.

How about a Hilux twin cab with Truckman [or other] hard top?

So my RAV4 150SR was stolen around two weeks ago as some may recall....

Banked my Insurance Payout this afternoon (value agreed and cheque sent out within two weeks of reporting loss, which I am really happy about :) ) and need to decide what to get now?

Don't like the new RAV4.4; Don't really want to get another RAV4.3 SR (economy just to painful, and don't tend to get another car the same)

I need a day to day driver which has creature comforts, but also I am thinking I need carrying capacity for new business ventures separate to my current Refurb business. So have to decide on two vehicles - one car of some kind, and a van, or do I combine the two functions into one vehicle and get something like a VW Transporter Kombi, with rear seats and a lot of space behind? Or an MPV with a little less carrying space? Or just a standard car (maybe even a RAV4.2?) and a VW Caddy size van? Or a van and a 'fun' car like an MR2 or Celica??

Been trying to work this out for 2 weeks now and still not sure what to do, but the VW Transporter route appeals due to the sheer Pimpability it offers.

Any suggestions or ideas welcome :)

Double cab pick-up? Some of 'em are seriously cool although they probably don't tick the economy box.

I'd suggest an F-150 SVT Raptor................http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/gallery/photos/

Stretched pink 2008 H2 200 Hummer here:

http://www.limoworld.co.uk/KrystalPreOwnedLimos.php

and a GT86.

Hummer has much load capability and endless pimping potential. In fact, you could pimp it into a garage for the GT86 and still have room for a combined workshop and jacuzzi inside it.

Oh sure you can get it down to your price range, with a bit of bartering. :).

The GT86 was very tempting I have to say :)

considered a double pickup but economy worse then the SR and was not over enamoured by the Invincible I borrowed for a day when the RAV was in for some work. If I lived up a farm track, then maybe, but in reality I never go offroad, so thinking Winter Tyres should suffice over the wintertime (fingers crossed)

I had a brief drive of a '13 plate VW Transporter Kombi, loaded with lots of options and a 140BHP engine and that was a nice drive - better then I expected, but a lot of money for a Van (£2k more then I paid for my 6 month old SR for a month old Kombi. Can't believe some of these transporters are over £50k list !!! )

It has already been suggested to get a stretch pink limo actually :D . Trouble is I could not get it out on to the main road due to narrow junctions, etc (in the words of SM Williams ... "Oh Dear, How Sad, Never Mind ;) )

A friend of mine has a customised VW transporter combi, for his racing bikes..

I'm not into vans, but his does look very nice.. :)

I am starting to like the idea of getting a standard, but fairly new Transporter Panel Van to gradually convert, but would be a decent drive in the meantime (I have toyed with the idea for many many years in fact) and get a 'conventional' car as the daily driver, and the overall initial cost being less then the kind of VW Kombi I was veering towards :)

Only downside is that there will be two lots of road tax to buy (but depending on the vehicles, the two combined could still be less then an RAV4 SR!). Additional insurance costs for the two vehicles will actually be £0, as I can just add them to the MID myself to have them covered ;)

So next step is to work out which conventional car? (probably something Auris/Avensis like)

I've driven many types of vans over the years and the one that sticks out is the Transit! I love them new and old. Great driving position and the new ones are full of little features.

Daily drive- 4.3 XTR!

Dave

• Like 3

I've driven many types of vans over the years and the one that sticks out is the Transit! I love them new and old. Great driving position and the new ones are full of little features.

Daily drive- 4.3 XTR!

Dave

I rented a '62 plate Luton Transit last week. I thought it was a HORRIBLE drive TBH. The clutch action was dreadful. The last Transit I drove before that was 4 years ago and another Rental Luton, and that was a pleasant drive on 400 mile trips. Not sure what was different between the two?

I like the driving position and cabin of my Master, even though it is basic spec and underpowered.

Ref the XT-R ... TBH, I would not get a diesel RAV built before 2010 due to the 2AD issue on the 4.3 and the DMF on the 4.2.

And the fuel economy on the Petrol 4.2 is too poor as a daily driver, which is one key reason why I sold mine. As a winter get you about in all conditions vehicle or a second fun car, the 4.2 is perfect, but not as a commuter/distance motor all year round I think.

VW Transporter and an oldish 4.2 3 door.....

Continuing from you not liking the Rav 4.4, although we are keeping our 21 month old 4.3 we have ordered a Forester diesel for September, we had two extended road tests and there's very little not to like, yes they're not the most modern looking car but the poor weather capability is brilliant and there's a real tough, utility feel about the car. The 4.4 is a bit 'posh' for what we use a car for, the 4.3 is a 'tougher' car IMHO. The Auris is a nice car to drive Hoovie, i had a loan car for a week a year or two back and it drove really well.

I would look at that Hyundi, looks the business.

Keith

In your situation I would go for 2 vehicles. Concnetrate on the one that fulfils the needs of your business(es).

You have lots of choice for the daily driver.

I was impressed by my son's Ford Focus before he sold it.

VW Transporter and an oldish 4.2 3 door.....

If you're interested in a 3-dr, Hoovie, ours is going on trade-in this/next week but it can just as easily be sold. 54-reg, 60K miles, FTSH, sidesteps, rear light guards, etc.

Daily drive- 4.3 XTR!

Dave

I have to agree that the Transit stands head and shoulders above other vans... I had loads of them over 32 years in business and the later ones are just awesome.... And better on fuel than an SR Rav in automatic form....

But while I take your points on the economy and the fact you don't usually buy a car the same the SR is one hell of a car to replace and get anywhere near its all round capability and quality of drive and equipment..

Out of the vans well the Transporter is of course an excellent choice but its cabin is cramped and the rear is also lacking space but its big problem is the ridiculous cost of buying and owning one.. The depreciation is horrific even compared the the Transit which is pretty awful but being in business you can offset much of this.. More than a car in fact as 100% of the purchase can be offset against tax in year one.....

Anyone who puts 50K in a van has dropped the ball .................

For me though the Rav 4 is quite a car to replace and if I was put in position where only one vehicle was allowed on our drive it would be a late model SR Rav....... I would love to trade in the T180 for one if I'm honest and it would have to be one of the last of the old shape as the new one does bugger all for me .. Problem is since putting most of our money into property I just cant afford one so thats that.....

So Hoovie me ole mucker I think you have your work cut out replacing an awesome if slightly thirsty Rav4...

Not much use was I ?.......

• Like 1

Candid as always, Charlie :)

Not sure if I would agree with your point about depreciation on the transporter TBH, however. From the prices I see quoted on second hand ones, it would seem that deprecation is very low, otherwise it would be very simple choice of choosing one a few years old and just a few thousand pound.

On the SR side, Great car, but the fuel consumption really was getting embarrasing.

Tested out an Auris today in Glasgow ... Nice drive and enjoyable to run around the town (1.6 Petrol). Think that is a likely candidate - just need to find the right one at the right price :)

RIP Transit

Last one been built in Southampton now (my patch) future Transits will hail from Turkey!!

Last Fords built in Britain I believe. 500 peeps redundant.

Dave

RIP Transit

Last one been built in Southampton now (my patch) future Transits will hail from Turkey!!

Last Fords built in Britain I believe. 500 peeps redundant.

Dave

Then Turkey will get into the EC, the Euro will kick in, and prices will rocket again for Transits. The 500 jobs left in the wake......? Tough luck, UK, again.....

I think there are probably more "Japanese" cars built in Britian then "British" ones such like Fords and Vauxhalls.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided not to go down the SUV style route for the next motor, but something a bit more 'coupe' like, and economical, but with still 4 doors. Looked at various options and the one that really stood out for me in appearance, interior style and ambiance was a Citroen!

So here she/he is ....

ef0bfe055f706fbb62d9b926e29cfec9_zps9722

9a787498e4254e0ad7a30794dc6d5867_zps89de

See how they disguise it from Bothy....? No handles on the rear doors, so he thinks it's a three door.

Cracking looking automobile, Monsieur 'Oovee......quel shame c'est fabrique en La France par eejits arrogants, non....?

Like it, Citroen are making some cool cars at the moment.

• Like 1

.......and this one does not seem to have the pair of all year round Christmas trees that some Citroens have now.........urrawise known as "look at me" lights, DRL's for short.