Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Knock

Mr Mayoh

I know this has probably been covered 1000s of times but I've not found a definitive answer. When my car gets warm it starts to kind of knock/tick. It's coming from the belt side and seems to originate from the back. The oil is right level and I've lubed up the belts which seems to quieten it for a few seconds until I stop spraying the lube. The car pulls fine, idles fine, revs up fine doesn't over heat or make any other noises? My neighbour seems to think its the tappet but my old car wasn't that loud with a tappet and I think (correct me if im wrong) they are shims in the celica so they can't be adjusted? Any help would be appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

It's probably the belt tensioner, or more accurately the piston on the tensioner. It's a known thing.

You can either fit a new one, or you can try fixing the old one, but that only sorts it for a while.

• 3 months later...

I have got a 00 1zz engine with a knock I want to know if a 05 1zz engine is a drop into the bay of my celica 00 and if so have the oil consumption issue been solved??

Thanks

Yes they have been solved, 52 plate onwards, or facelift models have the revised engine in them, there is a way of telling, i'm sure they have a different dipstick and not sure if the oil filler cap is different or in a different place, as I have a 190 engine haven't taken much notice of the 140 oil problems, just what i've picked up from reading. You'll probably find more info over on celica club as there is a sticky topic in the newbies section with all the info in, which no one seems to have made a similar post on here to help out members.

Hi guys thanks for getting back to me, celicas gone I'm afraid, needed a few jobs doing on her and she was costing a fortune to run but by far the best car I've had miss that vvti so much, thanks to help on here I found out the knock was indeed the belt tensioner piston, to keep her quiet I put a jubilee clip tight around the plastic casing on the piston, worked nicely was hardly noticeable but was still there. Again thanks for your replays if I ever get another yota I'll be back on, have fun n carry on cruising

I found a site which sells remanufactured 1zz engine (idealengine) would it be safe to purchase one from there if not is there any site where I can do so?

Thanks much