Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Getting Additional Keys

Parva

Hi all,

Part ex'ed my Nissan Primera P11 (1997) 2.0 for a 2001 2.0 VVTi Avensis GLS. Dscn0002.jpg

I was only supplied with 1 key for this. I've been giving the dealer some grief to try and get me the other key but no joy as yet. The thing I'm worried about is that the key operates the alarm and immobiliser. As I understand it, I can't disarm the alarm without the remote part of the key working. I dare say this means that if I dropped the one key I have into a puddle and buggered the remote up I'm left with an unusable car?

The car manual suggests that I need some sort of security tag and an original key to get a new key made but my local Toyota dealer 'expert' said sometimes they acquire the frequency which sounds like BS to me.

Has anyone had any experience of this situation?

TIA,

Dave

I contacted my local Toyota Dealer about the same thing, but no mention of a tag, I dont have one!!, all they needed was the reg number, and then they told me 90+ vat for an extra key, plus half an hour in the workshop

I got two keys with remote transponders in them when I bought my Avensis. The Toyota dealer is not giving you "BS" the key has a transponder with a rolling code that means every time you use your key it changes the code in the key to stop lowlifes from scanning the code and making a duplicate key to steal your new car.

Yes, I realised that the key has a transponder and what its purpose is, I was more worried about the Toyota guys comments that a new key 'might acquire the frequency'. He didn't seem to know whether I required the security tag or not. Judging by an earlier post it looks like I may be in luck. :)

if you mean my post then yeah you are in luck, no tag was mentioned, all that was needed was the reg of the car, I am a registered customer with that paticular garage with this car, so i guess that is the proof they require that i own the car, for the key i am asking for

Actually

From 2000 onwards, Toyota revised the immobiliser unit, you will know that you have the later sytem since the keys are much slimmer. If you lose your 'Master' key or it stops working (from 2000 onwards), be prepared for a shock. You will be looking at a new set of keys and a new main Engine Management Unit. The cost including labour is around £900. Get your spare key before you regret it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links