Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can One Make A 4.3 Dcat Quieter On Long Journeys?

Dippy

After my engine scare, and factoring depreciation into cost to change, I'm vaguely considering a replacement.

For a long time I swore it would be an X3 (new), I think they are stunningly capable and BMW offer me a healthy discount through work.

But I'd have to keep it for up to 10 years, and I see problems building up. The dealers here are horrible, arrogant to the extreme. And the more I think about it, I don't need to pay 5k extra for a drivers seat with memory and more switches that illuminate. In fact, what I really value in a family car is space, reliability and comfort. The latter means rear seats that recline and silence on motorways. The 4.4 is not out in Portugal yet and I would probably wait for the BMW engine anyway.

My 4.3 isn't bad but we know how tiring noise is over long distance and every little helps. So has anyone worked out a way to make it quieter? I spent a lot on dynomat for my 4.2 to frankly negligible effect. Tyres; I just bought 2 new bridgestones from Mr T that were rated the same noise level as the Geolanders. Aerodynamic aids, less boy racer and more to smooth airflow and reduce wind noise?

Any ideas?

If it has roof rails, remove them. I recently fitted some and the increased wind noise at speed is noticeable. I believe they reduce MPG by a couple of miles too..........

Mud flaps will also increase wind noise, as will any loose undertrays.

Edit:

And fill up the underfloor space at the back 'cos that will resonate if empty.

Portugal ?

Have you tried fitting a windscreen rather than the enhanced air-conditioning oiffered by a window-less RAV?

I have the T180 and having done 45+K miles on both summer and winter tyres I can honestly say noise has never been a problem... Ok there is always some tyre noise but that's about it... I'm wondering if the T180 has additional sound proofing ?

Agree with David rails if fitted are horrendous so I remove them if not in use..

Charlie / David,

I consider myself an undiagnosed noise intolerant (UNI.....) I too recently fitted pair of silver roof rails, more an aesthetic addition, but I do have some Lidl crossbars should the need arise. I can honestly say the RAILS thus far I have not heard any increase in noise, but could understand that cross BARS would affect both decibels and mpg, albeit minimally. Now you've got me listening, fgs !!!

Big Kev

As Kev says it's probably the cross rails, I've got the main rails fitted being an XT3 but mines quiet, remember road surface is the biggest noise maker .

Keith

As Kev says it's probably the cross rails, I've got the main rails fitted being an XT3 but mines quiet, remember road surface is the biggest noise maker .

Keith

Crosswinds will be the final test, Keith......not really been wintry weather since I fitted the rails......

I would be surprised if the RAILS are causing undue noise (as Kev says), but the cross bars can be very noisy indeed.

I have a selection of Thule bars that clamp to the roof rails. The square bars were particularly bad and the amount of buffeting wa dreadful. The Thule Aero bars were way better, although noise was evident and stil best to remove when not in use.

Thanks all :)

Noise is not an issue on short journeys, but for three hours plus it is less tiring if it can be reduced. I usually cruise at 140kmh, too impatient to go slower! I think mine is a Spanish T180 equivalent, but without the RFTs, see my post way back when in the pinned thread. It's quieter than my 4.2 by several degrees, that had a mechanical vibration that was never traced and a 2-hr journey was not a pleasure. I drove this one back from Madrid and bounced brightly into the house afterwards.

I have lengthways roof rails, no cross bars. I can't see they'd be a problem. Interesting point about the underboot storage, it is usually empty, I could put a couple of bits of foam cushion in there. Though on long distances the boot itself is usually fairly chocka with luggage, I'd have thought that would insulate.

Should look at mudflaps but aren't they a legal requirement?

Mr Bothy, not sure if I'm fully in on that joke :(. Not for the first time in my life...

I asked as I wondered if there were any known weak areas. Mirrors on 4x4s can be a culprit, as can tyres obviously. The 4.2 was mean with soundproofing as the ICE fans found out. Seems not for this one then?

Noise is not an issue on short journeys, but for three hours plus it is less tiring if it can be reduced. I usually cruise at 140kmh, too impatient to go slower! I think mine is a Spanish T180 equivalent, but without the RFTs, see my post way back when in the pinned thread. It's quieter than my 4.2 by several degrees, that had a mechanical vibration that was never traced and a 2-hr journey was not a pleasure. I drove this one back from Madrid and bounced brightly into the house afterwards.

I have lengthways roof rails, no cross bars. I can't see they'd be a problem. Interesting point about the underboot storage, it is usually empty, I could put a couple of bits of foam cushion in there. Though on long distances the boot itself is usually fairly chocka with luggage, I'd have thought that would insulate.

Mr Bothy, not sure if I'm fully in on that joke :(. Not for the first time in my life...

I asked as I wondered if there were any known weak areas. Mirrors on 4x4s can be a culprit, as can tyres obviously. The 4.2 was mean with soundproofing as the ICE fans found out. Seems not for this one then?

I'll just add my experience with tyres:

the RAV came fitted with Yokohamas when it was new. I'd been running a Vitara beforehand so the RAV seemed quiet by comparison and quite acceptable. When I changed the tyres I went for the Michelin Latitude Tours ( 235 wide rather than the standard 225 ) the difference in terms of road noise reduction unbelieveable and the speedo is MORE accurate. It's been said on here before but as tyres wear they do get a bit more noisy. I suspect that anyone changing well worn tyres for new ones, even if they were the same type, would notice the difference. I do drive a fair bit slower than you Dippy, but that is down to personal choice.

I've not looked lately, but a few years ago you could buy sound insulation kits for cars.

I'll just add my experience with tyres:

the RAV came fitted with Yokohamas when it was new. I'd been running a Vitara beforehand so the RAV seemed quiet by comparison and quite acceptable. When I changed the tyres I went for the Michelin Latitude Tours ( 235 wide rather than the standard 225 ) the difference in terms of road noise reduction unbelieveable and the speedo is MORE accurate. It's been said on here before but as tyres wear they do get a bit more noisy. I suspect that anyone changing well worn tyres for new ones, even if they were the same type, would notice the difference. I do drive a fair bit slower than you Dippy, but that is down to personal choice.

I've not looked lately, but a few years ago you could buy sound insulation kits for cars.

I remember the old "Accoustikits" which were heavily advertised in motor mags, Exchange & Mart, etc. I don't think you get them anymore although you can buy the modern "sandwich" type insulation in sheets.

I remember the old "Accoustikits" which were heavily advertised in motor mags, Exchange & Mart, etc. I don't think you get them anymore although you can buy the modern "sandwich" type insulation in sheets.

Accoustikits - that was the one I was trying to think of - well remembered Jim!

And this thread is extremely encouraging.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-4-3-interior/68471-soundproofing-entire-rav4-im-going-take-plunge.html

In short, 500 pounds on materials and probably 4-5 days labour at home.

That's probably more than I wanted to spend but I put it here in case anyone is interested.

I stuck Duralay foam carpet underlay to that veritable bloody Boom Box of a plastic cubby tray in my boot......genuinely superb result. The anti vibration deadening Toyota use in what would have been the spare wheel well on USA cars sets as hard as the metal it adheres to, so in my uneducated opinion, resonates at aboot the same frequency.....?

Akoustik Kev

Sorry Kev. I was after the primary topic, wasn't paying attention to the secondary fallout.

Really frustrating morning on the web. It seems the best stuff is damplifier pro, but they don't sell it in Europe. Can go for Dynamat extreme but its really expensive, and much more expensive in Portugal than uk. Then I find something called Silent Coat Extra which is as good as the DE but for 3/4 price, hooray!...in uk and USA. In Portugal it's even more expensive than DE!! aargh! And of course a car's worth weighs 30-40kg so no chance of shipping.

Maybe I should try kev's underlay idea. They do warn about heat though, and a car left in the sun out here can get pretty hot.

Sorry Kev. I was after the primary topic, wasn't paying attention to the secondary fallout.

Really frustrating morning on the web. It seems the best stuff is damplifier pro, but they don't sell it in Europe. Can go for Dynamat extreme but its really expensive, and much more expensive in Portugal than uk. Then I find something called Silent Coat Extra which is as good as the DE but for 3/4 price, hooray!...in uk and USA. In Portugal it's even more expensive than DE!! aargh! And of course a car's worth weighs 30-40kg so no chance of shipping.

Maybe I should try kev's underlay idea. They do warn about heat though, and a car left in the sun out here can get pretty hot.

Ear plugs perhaps.......???? :unsure: :unsure:

Certainly cheaper.

You know, with two little ones in the back, on long journeys, I do wonder whether I should be dynamatting a different irritating noise source...

Good grief, Dippy........thought you were gonnae blow up the kids up, fgs......dynamatting......