Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Heater Fan Resistor Replacement

inman999

Hi all

Newbie Aygo owner. Picked up a 2006 diesel on eBay a while back for my other halves now longer commute. Just sorting a few niggles as you do on a new-to-you car.

Anyway, the fan only works on full so likely the resistor has packed up. Now when I've replaced them on other cars they have always been easily accessible via the glovebox. I've not been able to find any definitive info on here as to where it is but it seems its a dash out job on its on the drivers side.

If anyone has done the job and can confirm or deny the above before I unnecessarily start stripping the interior that would be appreciated.

Otherwise everything is running sweet.

Thanks Paul.

Thanks. I've read that thread and its not exactly conclusive. I was hoping for some input from someone who has done the job. I've replaced the resistor on 3 other cars and there's always been a knack to changing it, usually involving you lying in the footwell doing everything by feel but that's still preferable to ripping the whole dash out.

Might give Toyota a bell tomorrow.

Success. Not a job I ever want to do again!

Firstly the resistor is definitely on the passenger side in RHD car, tucked away behind the glove box. You do not need to remove any trim, definitely no point taking out the centre console. It's located just in front of the flow and return hoses from the engine bay, you can't see it but even with my fat hands I could feel it.

It took me about an hour lying on my back in the footwell with one hand up the back of dash getting steadily more frustrated.

Notably my car had the resistor replaced last year and judging by the removal of some sound deadening in that area this was the method used by Toyota, they charged an hours labour, which in retrospect is not a bad price.

The cause of the double failure I believe was the pollen filter, it was filthy and looked like it had never been changed. The pressure drop across the filter must have been huge.

My advice is change the pollen filter, so much easier than replacing the resistor.

I'll try and get some pics up later although there's literally nothing to see.

the flow of air in the ducting keeps the resistor pack cool as they get very very hot,with the pollen filter being blocked the air flow has been reduced to the point where the pack has overheated

Running with no filter until the new one arrives. Seems odd that they would put a new resistor in without atleast checking the filter.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links