Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clunky Gear Change

charlieboy

Hi, I have a 2009 2.2 diesel Rav4 with manual gearbox, for the last few weeks i have been getting a slight clunk when changing from 1st to second gear. I was wondering if this if a common problem with the Rav, or a fault with the gearbox ?

Thay r a bit clunky make sure your flooring the cluch and a slow change helps , all the other gears r fine ! Unless you r geting a clunk that maybe sumthing diffent .

• Like 1

Yup, I'm afraid it's perfectly normal behavior for a 2.2 TD with 6 spd manual 'box. I had the transmission oil changed to a straight 75W low viscosity oil - it helps a bit, but you still have to be careful when the box is cold.

My old xt4 box before it blew up never had this issue my current T180 box does however. I think there was a gear linkage update but cant find the thread.

Gear linkage was just 4 a vibration I think on the erly 4.3 s

I've owned 5 Ravs over the years and they ALL suffered from this issue,one even within its first year from new.

And as the miles clock up the clutch release bearing/DMF gets noisier too,but they do seem to keep going a long time like this before needing attention.

• Like 1

This reply is copied and pasted from the other gear change thread as we seem to have two on the go at the moment.. HTH...

Linkage adjustment is crucial here !

When I got my car back from its first engine swap the change was awful.. So I took it back and the tech spent an hour getting the set up just bang on.. Result was a far better change than any Rav I have driven.. I did have the clutch changed so not sure how much of this contributed to the vastly improved gear change but to this day the car changes almost perfectly every time.. I say "almost cos just every once in a while you can feel the change though it never baulks .....

There is an improved gear linkage but the tech said that its not worth the bother and that set up is the key.. Just his opinion of course but he set this car up as good as it gets I feel... HTH.

• Like 1