Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Electronics - How Far We've Come!

three5

Hi All,

came across this article on the BBC website and thought it might be of general interest:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23443215

Definitely not a dig at anyone in the industry, it must have been a slow news day :ermm: Toyota are extensively quoted in the article and, IMHO, talk a great deal of sense.

I think that the underlying lesson is that if you find someone driving alongside you with a cable connected to your diagnostics port, you probably ought to ask them what they are doing - doh!

Now there's a good excuse.

'Honest officer, it wasn't me driving my car at 100mph, it was the boy racer behind in the lowered Corsa with the skinny tyres, oversize exhaust and laptop................'

An interesting read Chris :thumbsup:

Kingo

Not a big jump to imagine a connection to the OBD socket of a wireless link to . . . somewhere else. It would be nice to think that the vehicle manufacturers were absolutely on top of all this.

Chris

Not a big jump to imagine a connection to the OBD socket of a wireless link to . . . somewhere else. It would be nice to think that the vehicle manufacturers were absolutely on top of all this.

Chris

BMW recently had well-publicised problems with the OBD port on the current 5-series being used as access point for car-thieves to "hot-wire" the cars passively with a hand-held computer and drive them off. Some police forces ended up removing/re-configuring the OBD ports.

Last I heard, BMW was denying that there was a problem!!

"Last I heard, BMW was denying that there was a problem!!"

They must have been talking to Peugeot, then.

That BMW trick has been ongoing for quite a while..........and still they deny it :eek:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Sounds a bit like Toyota Main Stealers with the 2001/2003 Rav4 Autobox issues...............................

In the UK, "Nah, can't happen, you must be imaging it! "

Meanwhile, across the pond, major litigation in the courts and, eventually Toyota holding it's hand up and paying for ECU's re-programmed and autoboxes refurbished in vehicles up to ten years or 100,000 miles old.

Don't you just love 'em!

Ah know........some manufacturers even introduce WW2 Military Runflat Systems and tell folk they are great things, then fix the price thereof in the background, then discontinue it "because it was so good".......

Nae use being built like an elephant, and not have a matching memory, what......?

Chris

I was talking to an acquaintance yesterday who has a Renault Migraine. Apparently Renault are having problems with the electric windows. Many are refusing to open but some are refusing to close. As a goodwill gesture Renault are paying 75% of the cost of fixing problems for individual customers. I think that generally Toyota do considerably better than that first of all with their initial design and afterwards with their customer service.

........Nae use being built like an elephant, and not have a matching memory, what......?

Ar ye talkin aboot you, me or us both BK?

I know, I know - if the cap fits........

• Like 1

Have a gander at that Bentley SUV concept thingy on Dippy's link.......that makes the BMW X1 look attractive FGS.......

Don't know if I'm right but you can't do much 2 the Toyota enging management using the obc 11 port ! That's y if you Want 2 mess with the bhp ete you nead a box of electronics Piggybacked into the system! ???? Just a Thort !