Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lowered My Avensis - Just Sayin!

+robster+

changed from 16 inch to 17 inch Toyota wheels and tyres

got a set of -30mm cobra springs from dc performance

very happy

the stability and roll have improved drastically and it doesn't dip and dive under braking or acceleration either.

most noticeable on roundabouts its a huge improvement

not to harsh a ride either it is still comfortable and soaks up the bumps.

standard.jpg

lowered.jpg

Looks good mate, is it just the springs you had to change?

yeah

checked all the dampers / bump stops/ top mounts/ gaitors and were all almost like brand new and functioning correctly.

they advise on getting sport shock absorbers when you lower -40 to -50.

so this is a subtle lower (-30) on cobra springs (tuv approved) with standard shocks.

I also renewed the front and rear arb droplinks while I was at it due to these never being able to remove without wrecking the rubber boot with vice grips as the ball joint turns.lol

might be my imagination but the anti roll bar seemed to have more tension on it while putting on new droplinks after lowering. this will help with the body roll.

all other suspention joints were checked and all ok

the front was easy.

to remove the back shocks is a bit tricky

all boot lining was removed to get to top bracket nuts

abs wire bracket removed

big bar to lever down suspention arm

and a bit of a puzzle to drop shock between suspention arm for top mount to clear chassis

Looks fairly subtle to be honest & if the ride isn't too bad then job done !

• Like 1

Nice job Robbie! :yes:

Pete :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Looks great mate was only thinking about doing this to mine last week

• Like 1

Now you need to get the car 4 wheel aligned as you have change the cars geometry slightly.

cheers folks.

the stance looks a lot better to naked eye than it does in the pic in my opinion and I can go over the high speed bumps in my area no problem.

didn't want to go any lower due to this fact and also its an avensis at the end of the day not a boy racer car lol

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds good,pity the photos were removed as I'd love to see how it looks.

Fair enough the 97-03 model Avensis isn't the prettiest car going,I mean it was never going to win any beauty contests but it looks ok and admittedly starts to grow on you after a while.Dropping her 30-40mm though I believe will really improve the way she looks,better still 25-30mm at the front 40-50mm at the back cos she does seem to have that slightly nose down/arse up stance which doesn't help the look :)

How much do they cost for a set of springs and can you get 30mm fronts 50-60mm rear springs from them,do they give you a poundage rating for the new springs ??

Don't know what the roads are like in Lanarkshire but up North you wouldn't want to drive a car that's decked with hard springs,not if you have fillings in your teeth,anyway :)

before and after

everything has settled a bit and it looks lower now than the pic

don't know about front/rear bias or poundage ratings sorry

post-129607-0-80344000-1376763034_thumb.

post-129607-0-47384900-1376763051_thumb.

Nice one,you've got the pics up or i'm able to see them this time :)

Looking good m8,,like a lowered standard car.More subtle looking :0)

• 1 year later...

Have been looking on eBay n the wider net for lowering springs, they seem to range from 25mm to 40mm generally and can cost as little as £110 for my T22 vvti right up to whatever you feel like paying for them. I'd suggest with suspension components it may not be wise to go for the cheapest. One's I saw for £109 were not TUV approved so you pays your money.

I'm planning on getting the springs over the next fortnight but am still hoping I can find somewhere that'll sell me them in axle pairs cos I really do want the back end dropped slightly more than the front so it's stance is more level n low that tail up, nose down.I know it's not really pronounced but the T22s shape seems to enhance the effect.

It's less about the ride but hoe she sits on the road, obviously the springs being a shorter unsprung height they by necessity require an increased poundage or it'd be bottoming out regularly buy I've always found thicker antiroll bars, beefing up the rear roll bar more than the front with a decent strut brace is a better combo than low hard springs, I. think. springs will help a lot in this case because the high read end seems to promote some scope.for movement at high speed.

Mines has no. suspension issues and the bushes are all good but the steering can be vague on the limit and under vigorous acceleration over 4000 pm in fifth she can be a bit of a handful to keep dead straight, it's not a fault but a symptom of the fact she just isn't designed to be driven that way but a more precise location of the front suspension and steering plus dropping that a***end will make a huge difference. A strut brace wouldn't hurt either but 17 or 18 inch rims with real low profile tyres would be a step backwards in my opinion.

You're right any lower than 40mm it's recommended you fit cut down/sports shockers because the standard ones will be naturally compressed as they're fitting into such a reduced space, they'll never fully be allowed to rebound so they aren't working in the state they were designed too but have never gone further than 40-45 mm anyway and always found good standard shocks like Munroes along with renewed bushes n lower arms and arb bushes will transform the cars handling.

Will post photos of the before and after when I fit them