Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Generation Auris- Airbag In Front Seats?

Nicolai

Hi

Will I loose any airbags if I replace the original drivers seat in a 2013 Auris hybrid touring sports with a Recaro seat? I cannot work out if the side airbag is inside the driver's seat?

You bought a car? :eek:

Yes the air bag is incorporated into the seat, best left well alone and leave the original seat in place

Or is this another troll question?.............................

Kingo :thumbsup:

Not yet but will probably sign papers on wednesday. Is it the curtain airbag that will be lost or is "just" a small side airbag?

Not yet but will probably sign papers on wednesday.

Didnt think so ;)

You cannot just unplug the air bag and forget about it, you will have a warning light on the dash to say there is a problem

We are talking two separate items here, the seat air bag, and the curtain air bag, leave well alone and forget about putting the Recaro seat in it, you are looking at more trouble than it is worth................although you will not agree

Seems ludicrous to purchase a new car with a five star Euro NCAP rating, and then consider substantially degrading the safety systems by removing one of the side airbags.

Your insurance company will need to be informed of both the change in seat and removal of the side airbag, and I would question whether you will actually obtain insurance cover for this type of modification.

I hope the original seat will be ok but I had back pain after 35 km. test drive- hence the consideration of putting in a third party seat if needed.

So after fannying around for a year and ready to order by Wednesday, you now find you get a bad back from the seat? Incredible!!

Do us all a favour and order a different brand ;)

If you are subject to back pain when driving, and you've experienced back pain after your (fourth?) Auris test drive, then go for something else.

Forgot to check it: can the angles of the head res be tilted/adjusted or is up/down the only adjustment available. During the last test drive they were pointing forwards quite a bit.

Thanks,

Well, I also think that the seat on the (1st) Auris are rubbish but not due to back pain, because I slide all over the place under spirited driving/turning.

I also thought about replacing but then remembered the airbag issue.

I suppose it's near to impossible to find find a proper bucket seat with airbag which is also compatible for the auris.

Perhaps a cheap solution would be a seat cover? Won't that also block the airbag though?

As regards the headrests they probably only adjust in the vertical plane, as, like the 1st generation Auris, the seats and headrests are designed to reduce whiplash. Think the trick is to adjust the backrest properly so the headrest doesn't make one's head tilt forwards uncomfortably.

I've found the seats in both of my Auris to be OK, whatever the style of driving.

Seat covers would probably interfere with the side airbag operation.

Having a company car sometimes requires that people go out and perform a test drive in it. It never ceases to amaze me the position the drivers seat is left in sometimes, some people right up against the steeering wheel, others almost lying flat. It must be difficult to make a seat that caters for every eventuality

Seat covers should be avoided, there are companies that make them with slots in for air bags, Toyota do not reccomend them, thats why they don't make them

Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated.