Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ring Drls In Lower Bumper

Aidsy1

Hey fellow Auris owners, I have some Ring Lyra 16 Led dual function daytime running lights that used to be on my Nissan Note and i want to transfer them across to my Auris. I have tried fitting them near the grill for the radiator, but they wont fit (due to regulations) so my thought was to put them in the black bit that is underneath the bumper, and make a hole so it looks like a snug fit. Anyone got any thoughts on how to make the hole and where exactly to mount them and how to make it look snug?

Dremel tool to cut, and mount with a bracket of sorts onto the bumper itself?

Actually had to find out what a dremel tool was first (only to find out my dad had one). I'm slightly worried that i am going to ***** it up, and am also wondering if anyone knows how much a new bumper is (just in case it really goes wrong) however i am thinking of waiting as i want to get a body kit
http://www.nicedeals.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=3_311_78_2013&products_id=14164&osCsid=d1irrri9a8mde1nohvvn6r8ou7

but any more tips on how to do it (without making a lot of mistakes) would be appreciated.

first we need a homepage with the sizes of your lamp and a picture of your day running lights

then we can say,where and how you can fit it

Anything which is not stock won't probably look snug no matter how hard you try. At least it will be hard especially on an Auris which hasn't so many good spots for the installation. The best option would be to just replace your fog lights with LED DRL bulbs.

I was thinking that, but i spent 70 quid on these and really wanna re use them if it is viable. As i posted earlier i am thinking of changing the front bumper, so maybe it will fit better with that on

i think they are to big to be fitted in the auris.

i dont know how it is in your country, but here in germany there are some rules, where exactly you can place a drl. at least ...cm over the ground, at least ...cm between the two drl-lamps and maximum ...cm away from the side.

so the front of the auris isnt really good for drls.

the best example for fitting drl in a pre-facelift auris is coming from austria

post-125971-0-23559400-1349609471_thumb.

Below is an extract from a Dept for Transport Freedom of Information reply (August 2012):

"All vehicles used on the roads in the UK must comply with the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, as amended (Statutory instrument 1989
No. 1796). These Regulations do not mandate the fitment of Daytime running lights on vehicles. Furthermore, the lighting regulations contain
no requirements for optionally retro-fitted DRL. Therefore there are no detailed legal requirements on the placement of optionally fitted DRL in
the UK. If DRL are retro-fitted they must comply with the general requirements of the lighting regulations including that they should not be
used so as to cause dazzle or discomfort to other road users.
A small number of older vehicles are required to be fitted with dim-dip devices or
as an alternative “running lamps” but that is unlikely to be the case for a vehicle registered in 2011.

The figures quoted for placement (a height between 250 mm and 1500mm, distance between the inner edges of the two lamps of at least 600mm)
appear to be based on those specified in the UNECE Regulation on lighting installation, UNECE Regulation 48, which is available at:

http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp2...

These requirements are compulsory for vehicle manufacturers wishing to obtain EC type approval for their vehicles and can be considered as helpful guidelines for those wishing to optionally retro fit DRL to ensure they are effective.

Currently DRLs are not inspected as part of the MOT and retro-fitting DRL will not result in a test failure regardless of their placement. If future changes to the MOT scheme bring DRL within the scope, consideration will need to be given as to how to treat retro-fitted DRL.

The current DfT publication on daytime running lights remains valid
."

For owners wishing to retro fit DRL's in the UK, the requirements for car manufacturers may be used as guidelines, but the only legal requirement as regards placement of DRL's is that they should not dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users.

I too spent ages contemplating on how to do this. I also wanted too add bought DRL's but thought they just wouldn't look right.

So in the end I made my own drl module and used my existing front fog lamp holders. I swapped out the halogen bulb with an Led bulb and have had this set up for a while now. My DRL's switch off when I switch on my headlights. No problems with MOT's either....

Yeah i saw your topic about making your own DRls using a DIY module, but still wanna try and fit the ones i bought. if it comes to it i'll used the fog method

Ok matey, good luck.... :thumbsup:

Anyone known this site?

They sell special drl for the Auris.

It is 2 in 1. Fog and drl.

http://www.hansen-styling-parts.de/epages/63246837.sf/seca72cbc6897/?ObjectPath=/Shops/63246837/Products/19597/SubProducts/19597-0001

I'm thinking about for buy a set off these.

If you use my DRL diagram, you can transform your fog lamps in DRLs without altering their original function, with minimum cost possible (two relays only) . :)

If you use my DRL diagram, you can transform your fog lamps in DRLs without altering their original function, with minimum cost possible (two relays only) . :)

Hi, yes that is an option, but i like the idea that the foglights

still be there.

So i a not sure what to do..

But the foglights will be there.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/1432/wnpa.jpg/'>wnpa.jpg

This diagram allows you to switch on DRLs when ignition is turned on - fog lights work at reduced intensity, deactivates them when switch on parking lights, and they work as fog lights when switch fog lights on.

This is great!

Do i see it right? When the DRL is on they are is serie? So they work at 6v? And put on the normal lighting they are going off.

Or put on the fog lights, the relais is turn it from serie to parallel.

But i am but confussed about relais nr. 85 and 86. They are both +?

I also read your topic about the radio speed sensor volume. That is a nice upgrade.

"Do i see it right? When the DRL is on they are is serie?"

Yeap, they're put in series and each bulb get 6V, so the bulbs last very long time (I have this kind of DRL on my Auris and on my company car and the bulbs work for more than 2 and a half years and more than 150 000 km).

I have DRLs on high beam in my Auris based on similar diagram.

"And put on the normal lighting they are going off."

Yes, this is another purpose.

"Or put on the fog lights, the relais is turn it from serie to parallel."

Yes, this is true also...

"But i am but confussed about relais nr. 85 and 86. They are both +?"

When ignition is switch on, 85 gets " + " and 86 has " - " through the all the parking lights bulbs, therefore relay is activated, DRLs are working; when parkers are switch on both 85 and 86 get " + " so relay is deactivated, it's ready for fog lights to light when it's switch on. Relay's coil works on potential difference principle.

The role of diode is preventing relay to activate when engine is stoped and parkers are switched on.

"I also read your topic about the radio speed sensor volume. That is a nice upgrade."

It's woth all the effort to make this function work.

After seeing what northernlite posted (the picture) i decided to take the bumper off and try to see if the DRLs would fit underneath the lights. SUCCESS!! The curvature of the bumper is exactly the same as the curvature of the LEDs, so sometime in October this will be my project.hopefully shouldn't be too bad :S (famous last words)

cool. we definitily want to see some pictures then. maybe you can also do some photos during the construction :-)