Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dashboard Scuff Marks

Newbirder

Hi got new one month old IQ2 very pleased with car but have just noticed a small scuff mark top left of dashboard which appears to be light scratch but failed to see it when I picked it up. Dealer not that concerned either.

Does anyone have best way to get rid like using some kind of dash cleaner rubbing with micro fibre cloth don't seem to work and the finish seems a bit delicate.

Regards Dave

From your profile, it is a new/relatively new IQ. Problem is, once you've noticed it, you always will, and this sort of thing can be really irritating.

I'd be inclined to go back to the dealer, say it is an annoyance, and ask about a SMART repair.

Otherwise if you're OK to put up with it, try something like Armorall Matt or Turtle Wax Dry Touch Trim Care.

Yes Mike your spot on. Now I know it's it really is irritating and in different light it seems to show worse than it really is.

Yes already done that with the dealership yesterday and they promised to ring me back today which they never did so will try again tomorrow.

The top of dash covering appears to be really delicate with unusual finish to most cars.

Regards Dave

The textured finish is prone to scuffs. I'm forever putting shoe marks on the door bins. But so far I've been able to polish them out by using the same Showroom Shine waterless car wash I use to keep the exterior pristine.

How bad is it ? Any possibility of posting a picture? This is just the sort of thing I`ve spent a lifetime being ocd about ! So I might be able to offer some advice.

Hi Nick.

Thanks for the advice.

It's a thin black line about 2" long and once I noticed it i'm always conscious of now looking for it.

I tried cleaning it with upholstery cleaner supplied with G3 Glasscoat and it seems to be quite unnoticeable when wet or damp but reappears when dried out and then see the area is whitening slightly around the line where trying clean it which makes it worse.

I'l try and post a picture later. still waiting on dealership if their smart service can sort it.

Dave

The whitening is probably residue from the upholstery cleaner ( a strange choice I have to say !) . I guess we need to establish if it's "on the surface" or a gouge in the plastic before offering advice on the best way to proceed. Your original post is a little ambiguous . Is it a (surface) scuff or a (deep) scratch?.

Hi Nick

I appears just a light scratch on the surface but quite noticeable.

Thought the upholstery cleaner might have just wiped the mark away before noticing it was a light scratch instead.

Dave

You may not believe it but light surface scratches in dashboards can be effectively removed by the use of either a hot air gun or a gas flame. It would be very brave for a novice to try it on such an obvious place on such new car as your iQ . But a skilled SMART repair tech may well be able to make the mark invisible using a
similar technique.

Here’s a link to random forum that shows how it works.

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=167707

I'm not that brave I'm afraid.

The dash finish is quite unusual and not smooth like in the link you sent so unsure if the smart guy would go that way.

Hi Nick

Photo showing the mark top of passenger dash across the grain surface finish which shows more when sun is shining.

Hope this helps.

Dave

post-133317-0-07750900-1375265074_thumb.

My View - New cars should be scratch free, take it back and demand they fix it ASAP,

Or did they say the new car (IQ) you have just bought might have a scratch or two, and if it does, don't complain ?

Thanks for the picture. That’s just the sort of mark that I would have thought you could get out by using a proprietary dashboard/plastic cleaner. I’m not certain what you have tried but, Armor All matt dashboard wipes are great at getting out fingermarks , water stains from rain on the door caps etc They seem to “buff out” minor scuffs as well. Worth a try. Other than that , as Bob says, it should be the dealer's problem , not yours. Good luck.

I'm surprised your Toyota dealer is not interested and hasn't called you back. Actually I'm not that surprised.

These panels on the IQ seem to clip on and off very easily, so all the dealer has to do is order one up and call you in to have it fitted.

A new car should be blemish free, but they, of course, will try to say you did it yourself after picking up the car...so are they calling you a liar?

Not good customer relations methinks, in particular as you have bought new and they should be grateful for your custom.

John

Hi thanks for all your comments.

The car was showroom IQ and blemish free the marks only seem to have appeared since PDI and G3 glasscoat for paint and interior also they fitted new flexi glove-box.

Both my brother and I viewed the car next day when moved from showroom to parked area outside their workshop prior to PDI and G3 and there was no sign of any marks then.

Don't think the dashboard panel is clip on type and might be complete dash removal.

Yes I also think it's dealership problem to be dealt with. Spoke this morning and still waiting to contact smart guy and still haven't rang be back yet.

Also just received Toyota customer survey questionnaire which should be interesting.

If not resolved this week I shall contact Toyota direct.

I don't want to do too much cleaning around this area yet until I see what the dealership is proposing first.

Dave

Most dealers use a contractor to do Smart repairs, and usually they work around a number of dealers - so not always easy to pin down. Dealers are very keen to get good reports on the Toyota customer survey questionnaire, so next time you speak to the dealer, let slip that you have your customer survey questionnaire ready to complete ...........

Yes Mike have already dropped the customer survey remark on the salesman, his reply was it's only to do with the sale but I have already let him know that the first question asked is "How satisfied are you with your new Toyota".

I will give it until the end of the week as the salesman dealing with it is off tomorrow if no joy before I speak to their manager.

Dave

thanks for all your comments.The car was showroom IQ and blemish free the marks only seem to have appeared since PDI and G3 glasscoat for paint and interior also they fitted new flexi glove-box.Both my brother and I viewed the car next day when moved from showroom to parked area outside their workshop prior to PDI and G3 and there was no sign of any marks then.Don't think the dashboard panel is clip on type and might be complete dash removal.Yes I also think it's dealership problem to be dealt with. Spoke this morning and still waiting to contact smart guy and still haven't rang be back yet.Also just received Toyota customer survey questionnaire which should be interesting.If not resolved this week I shall contact Toyota direct.I don't want to do too much cleaning around this area yet until I see what the dealership is proposing first.Dave

By fitted flexi glove box you mean the optional glove bag that clips onto the passenger side? If that's the case ....pure speculation of course ..... but someone has used a screwdriver to take the covers of the fixing studs and then put it on the dashboard scratching it. Impossible to prove. But likely.

Indeed Nick and yes the optional glove bag which is very strong possibility and probable cause.

Don't you just love garages as they always seems to leave their mark somewhere usually from dirty boot or oily hand.

The other problem I got is not noticing the mark for about a month quite some time after handover which maybe why they might not be able to do anything as they could argue that I caused the problem.

That said wish I just left it alone without trying to clean it as I think it now looks more noticeable.

Oh well such is life I won't lose too much sleep over it as I may have to to use the dealership again at some point maybe warranty but don't think it will be their servicing somehow.

If the mark can't be overcome than maybe some sort of dash accessory might hide it.

Apart from this the car looks great with it's white pearleasant paint though.

Dave

"If the mark can't be overcome than maybe some sort of dash accessory might hide it."

One of these on either side of the dash. Sorted.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SLIP-DASHBOARD-MOBILE-KEYS-14-5/dp/B004O3BSC8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375303391&sr=8-1&keywords=dashboard+sticky+pad

Or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Auto-Care-AutoCare-Non-Slip-Dash/dp/B002G1V4YM/ref=sr_1_12?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1375304134&sr=1-12&keywords=non+slip+dashboard+mat

P.s. I had one of these on my previous car's dash and it really works. Thinking about it I might just get one for the iQ

• Like 1

Yes indeed Nick something along that sort of line or maybe some smart looking IQ Badge colour similar to centre consul might be better.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Sorry to hear about your scratch on the dashboard. You do expect a new car to be absolutely perfect and it should be. I hope you get it sorted soon, please post a reply as to what happens, hope the outcome is good.

Like the non slip mat for the dashboard, a bargain from Amazon and have ordered one for my new IQ, hoping that anyone placing stuff there will use the mat and keep the dash scratch free - prevention - fingers crossed. I bought a non slip mat from Halfords for the back seats when folded down, works a treat, even new wine glasses (in a box) stayed put and in one piece for the journey home !

Fur

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links