Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Airbag Ecu

Robbbo

Hello all, my 2002 46k Yaris went in today for the airbag recall. The recall was fine on the passenger side but the airbag light was on before things started and the dealer has reported that the airbag ecu is faulty. My question is that I have received mixed information on replacing the ecu; my garage stated that the ecu needs to be coded to the airbags so a simple swap is not possible, whilst the Toyota dealership stated that coding is not necessary and a swap is fine. I have a price of £365 for a new unit compared with £35 for a 2nd hand unit. Given that the unit is so easily accessible I was looking to do it myself. Has anyone done an ecu swap and could clear up the confusion, thanks in advance Rob

I would have thought the Toyota dealer would be correct.

I would have thought the Toyota dealer would be correct.

Me too.

What kind of garage is 'yours'? Maybe some cars they have worked on do have coded bags (though for the life of me I can't imagine why).

"Yours" does not know what he is talking about, but you may need to clear the codes stored

They don't need programming ;)

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hello all, just an update on the airbag ECU.

Sourced a replacement from a breaker, the same model and year, for £25. Removed the Battery and left for 2 hrs. Removed the trim panel located between the centre console and the dash, folded the carpet back on the left foot well and removed the round clip from the right foot well - then pull from the front to release from the two front clips on the panel. The ECU now sits in front of you. Three yellow connectors in a line, with the square ones on the left and right being the sensors and the one in middle feeds through to the main car ecu. Remove the connectors by pushing down the retainer lug and pull back, noting the sequence. Unbolt the four torx bolts, easy for the front and fun for the back, Now simply replace with the replacement unit and reverse the steps back to reconnecting the Battery. So with keys in hand this is the point that had me wondering. Deep breath and ignition on. Airbag light on and with the car running, imagine the surprise when the light went out and everything settled down. No bangs. No codes to clear down. Just a car MOT'd at 4pm and a clean pass.

• Thanks 1

• 6 years later...

I HAVE the same problem just been recalled by Toyota for passenger air bag saying air bag bulb wasn’t on had blown and they replaced it and is now on and it wasn’t nothing todo with what the had done prices £500 plus for Ecu which might not fix the problem could be the wiring loom underneath same price £500 plus , struggling I will buy a second hand ecu and fit my self as you have done hopefully this will solve my issues with air bag light on ! Following your guide will let you know mines 03 plate manythanks 

• 10 months later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links