Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Do You Get This Large Green Nut Off?

justinbarrow

I need to replace my fuel sender unit and cant seem to get the big green screw thing off as in the picture attached. Just wondered if anyone here has any ideas or if they have managed to remove this green nut. Thanks.

As you will see I have been trying to hammer it round with a blunt chisel but have damaged on of the lugs :( so stopped.

I have never come across this type of fitting before as they usually have 10 or more screws holding it in place and not a large green screw :)

post-94577-0-06759000-1375382295_thumb.j

HI

Forgive me if I may appear stupid, but that doesn't look like a nut so as to speak to me, it looks like a big green plastic ring which probably needs a good strong grip on it followed by some strong turning action...possibly anti clockwise maybe...or may be use one of those rubber jar opener things you can buy designed for people who have difficulty opening things. Good luck with it matey :flowers:

HI

Forgive me if I may appear stupid, but that doesn't look like a nut so as to speak to me, it looks like a big green plastic ring which probably needs a good strong grip on it followed by some strong turning action...possibly anti clockwise maybe...or may be use one of those rubber jar opener things you can buy designed for people who have difficulty opening things. Good luck with it matey :flowers:

Cheers, Whatever it is it is certainly being awkward :)

Hi Justin.

According to my Haynes manual, it may be possible to use 2 large screwdrivers crossed (like an X) to try to remove the securing ring.

As usual, Haynes recommend you make your own tool to do the job. If you do have 2 pieces of flat bar and 2 lengths of threaded bar with 8 nuts handy, you just make a "H" like frame (with 2 cross pieces), and with the nuts adjust the uprights so it fits snugly enabling you to simply unscrew the collar.

I wouldn't be bothered either. Too much faffing around.

Failing that . . . . . if you know someone with old tools . . . . I remember there was a type of adjustable wrench that had 90 degree jaws. Do a google image search for old adjustable wrench and look at the results to get the idea.

That would probably do it.

Hope this suggestion helps.

Stu

Thanks Stu for the post, I will see what I can come up with. Its got to the stage that I don't know how much fuel I have in the tank lol. Thanks again.

I have always used the hammer and flat head screwdriver approach. You may break a few lugs but it will come off in the end.

I have always used the hammer and flat head screwdriver approach. You may break a few lugs but it will come off in the end.

Hammer & Screwdriver approach it is then lol :)

It is not recommended to use the hammer and chisel approach as there is a risk of deforming the neck of the tank. If this occurs you may not get the captive ring back in place.

There is a special tool for the job. I was able to buy one for a fiver or thereabouts.

post-85935-0-12747200-1375987605_thumb.j

It is not recommended to use the hammer and chisel approach as there is a risk of deforming the neck of the tank. If this occurs you may not get the captive ring back in place.

There is a special tool for the job. I was able to buy one for a fiver or thereabouts.

I managed to get the green captive ring off tapping it with soft sharp blows with a screw driver but now I cant get it the green ring back on as it seems to keep cross threading it only took one turn to get off before i could use hands and also when I took the float out it was worn at one edge and it appears there is a plastic bowl thing inside the tank where you can see the float has been rubbing against as its left black marks on the side of this bowl/tray that's inside the tank, Which I now think this has been stopping the float from moving freely.
I just wanted to ask what is the best way to get this stubborn green captive ring back on and if you knew anything about this white plastic bowl/tray that's inside the tank as it appears to be moving around and feel that i am going to have the same problems.
Just wondered if anyone knew anything about this plastic tray inside the tank as I haven't ever come across this kind of design, Thanks.

Managed to get it back together, Here is a link to a video that I filmed to show this suspicious plastic tray thats floating around and disturbing the float and making it give wrong readings, here is the link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9FVBbAxKDE

I'm sure that this plastic tray should not be moving around the way it is and wondered if this is part of the actual tank as its too big to remove from the tank as it wont fit through the hole in the video, Thanks everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like some sort of attenuator tray, fuel in the tank will be in the tray to the same level as fuel in the tank, when you brake or accelerate or swerve or turn etc. the level in the tray will remain fairly constant, thus preventing the needle on the fuel gauge oscillating wildly, that is only a supposition on my part. Looking at the video there appear to be two lugs one at each end of the tray, if you look inside the tank with a mirror are there corresponding attachments to locate them?, they look as though they would just clip into place and then the tray wouldn't float all over the place or foul the sender unit.