Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Conversion

frankie406

Hi has anyone tried the conversion from dual to single mass?? Mine clutch has started to go at 83k miles? Not much for a diesel..the 1.8vvti is still on its orignial clutch with 127k on it and 10 year old..diesels 7!

Maybe getting close to mine having to be replaced on my T180 - be warned against converting to single mass as apparently ruins low speed driving

If a sufficiently heavy single mass flywheel is installed it will be okay but obviously that ruins acceleration.

If it's too light, the acceleration will not be that different but power delivery will be a lot more 'lumpy', especially at low RPM, and some people reckon this can damage the drive train over time as it isn't strong enough to take the forces. That said, the drive train in the Mk1 D4D Yaris isn't significantly beefier than in the Mk2 or Mk3 as far as I can tell despite it having an SMF vs the DMF in the Mk2 and 3, but then it is only a 1.4 so maybe the torque pulses are well within tolerances.

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys we installed a non duel mass flywheel kit in our avensis and it worked a charm .. cant say really notice any difference ...lots of taxi drivers have them in there cars and all are very happy with them and they all say that the cost of replacing a clutch is cheaper than a duel mass clutch ..... at the moment its new so will keep you posted .hope ye decided

Thanks for the input guys! will be sticking a smf in and see how it goes.i'll keep ya's posted!!

Just got it fitted over the weekend! so far happy with it starts and sounds better.just dont feel as much pull in it when turbo kicks in tho.but still nice and smooth..next is to do terraclean on internals of engine see how that goes.thanks for your input guys!!

My starter with old dmf was very lazy now with new smf starts like a dream! you do need to rev a bit higher in 1st & 2nd from take off but im used to driving a petrol so no difference there.tho the missus finds it strange with the clutch alot lighter to push.the mechanic who fitted mine said as long as there fitted right theres no problem! hes been fitting them in loads of taxis and no problems.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links