Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cabin Pollen Filter, Which Way Up?

Kryten

Slightly confused! Have bought new (non genuine) cabin filter but I am unsure which way up it is supposed to go due to conflicting information.

This is because there is an arrow on the side with the words "Air Flow" next to it.

So, does it go in with the arrow pointing up, in which case the air-flow will be incorrect, because the air is drawn from the top through to the bottom in the fan chamber, (I checked this by using a piece of paper which is definitely sucked downwards), in which case the arrow will need to point down, :unsure:

• Like 1

Hi there, I had seen that video before my post, but that filter is clearly marked "UP" with the arrow graphic and so there can be no doubt which way that goes.

My problem is that although I have an arrow on mine, right next to that are the words "AirFlow" and not "UP" as in the video, so does the words next to the arrow mean that is the direction of flowing air (from/to), if so I would have to place the filter with the arrow facing down, as the flow of air is from top to bottom, OR is the term AirFlow ambiguous and the dominant factor is having the arrow point up, you can see my confusion.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for taking the time to clear this up for me.

• 9 years later...

@Kryten I'm having the exact same dilemma with a similar replacement filter.

• Like 1

Been a discussion in many posts previously. Some filters arrow point up and some point down with air flow markings. Air flow is from top to bottom. If you install it wrong way you may get more moisture inside and more condensation on the windshield. 

• Like 1

Cheers. Had just noticed that @TonyHSD te posts...seems like inconsistent package markings by makers doesn't help.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/8/2022 at 11:47 PM, Paul Gailey said:

@Kryten I'm having the exact same dilemma with a similar replacement filter.

What did you end up doing?

I've just bought a Hengst filter. I'm also confused if the arrow indicates which way is up, or if it indicates airflow direction.

If it indicates the airflow direction then the arrow should be pointing downwards. This is the consensus in the comment section on a youtube tutorial video.

The air flow direction is from top to bottom. If the arrow marks are accomplished by letter up means you place the filter with arrow pointing upwards. If there are letters air flow and arrow shown pointing downwards then you place it with arrow pointing down. 
It’s very simple. Different brands marks them differently. 

• Like 3

On 2/6/2023 at 5:58 AM, avensis_2018 said:

The arrow mark should show down not up.

take care.

very confusing this now lol they should put on them now this way up be handy lol

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links