Do Not Sell My Personal Information

St205 Bov Sounds?

skippa

Hi all,

A friend of mine has just got himself an ST205 after been impressed with mine.

We both have 96 models with exactly the same BOV on {standard Toyota one}.

Difference is, my motor has the HKS induction kit on and his has the standard air box / element set up on his.

However, when the BOV releases its pressure on my car, it isn`t any where near as loud as the one on his car.

Any ideas why guys? I thought that it would be the other way round.....???

B)

If it's exactly the same BOV, you can't have as much excess boost to vent as your mate. This may be that your turbo is not in as good condition or you have a leak somewhere in the system. This could be lower compression in the cylinders, a small split in the hosing or your BOV may be worn. I know of some aftermarket ones that wear the piston badly but I'm unsure on fatory ones. The induction kit should have a minor effect on it as it should flow more air even as the turbine spools down (the whole point of the BOV is to maintain momentum in the turbo). If you want noise then go aftermarket.

Thanks for that mate, it`s what I feared.

Would the exhaust system make a difference because we also have slightly different ones.

There is also no real noticeable difference in performance between the two cars, so hopefully my turbo isn`t on the way out. :eek:

B)

:thumbsup:

Thanx GT4-NZ!!!

Just had a good look around turbo pipes and BOV and found that my BOV is actually coming apart around the "trumpet" end!!

I presume that this is the prob!!! :rolleyes:

Any recommendations for an aftermarket replacement would be well appreciated.

B)

The turbos are usually good for 200km before you'll see any trouble depending on how you treat them. As for a BOV any reputable name will give you a decent product. I don't have one so I can't vouch for one but I'm sure all the guys here have a few in mind. Try the MR2 forum and post a topic on it. They know what they're on about and you get quick replies.