Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Restoring Red Paint On A 1999 Rav

raglangirl

GENUINELY was sceptical masellf, Charlie......eloquently reviewed, but word pish would have covered.....? LOL......

• Like 1

GENUINELY was sceptical masellf, Charlie......eloquently reviewed, but word pish would have covered.....? LOL......

HaHa yep that's about the size of it mate ..

Thinking about this there have been several of these type gadgets over the years and all you would need to make one is a bit if steel bar to fit into the drill chuck and a 14 mill thread cut into the other end.... Plenty of change from 60 quid an all ...

Sorry for the delay. Now I've taken the photo's it doesn't look noticeable!

The right front door/wing/bonnet was done with a random orbital polisher and Meguiars by the previous owner.

I've done the rest by hand with autoglym.

Am I being fussy or is it time to get a ROM?

post-133404-0-80458200-1376147428_thumb.

post-133404-0-60299700-1376147527_thumb.

Sorry for the delay. Now I've taken the photo's it doesn't look noticeable!

The right front door/wing/bonnet was done with a random orbital polisher and meguiars by the previous owner.

I've done the rest by hand with autoglym.

Am I being fussy or is it time to get a ROM?

Well that doesn't look too bad to me, my red corolla was nearly white in places where the red had faded so much and that came up like new when machine cut / polished. You have a shine where as mine was matt in places and that still came up like new and shined.

Charlie will probably give you the best advice at some point but that is not going to take too much to sort in my opinion.

Red..... An ace colour and one that will come up fantastic with just a wee bit of work...

My old A4..

Picture187.jpg

Picture186.jpg

Now of course the A4 was not a single stage paint but single stage can be got to a better gloss than the two stage or laquer over base coat we have these days.. Your issue unless you use a sealant will be keeping it that way but lets deal with you car as it is and as it can be...

Truth ? Well it looks ok but its lacking somewhat and could be improved massively but doing it by hand is such hard work and will take away the enthusiasm of even a stubborn git like me !

I would get a DAS or Random Orbital Polisher call it what you like they all do the same job.. Once you have one it will last for years I still have an old Porter Cable Random machine that Ive had for donkeys years but it doesent get used now.. Sadly its a 110 Volt one so no use to you ..

Add to this a slight cut polish and you will achieve fantastic results and most importantly FAST..

Your paint is lacking in the shine department but its age related as well as it being red.. The good news is its a fast turn around job as its a soft paint that will respond very very well indeed to a machine polish...

If you decide to get a machine I will then advise which polish to use and how to do it.. All the information is on the "Sticky thread" but lets do this car step by step and see what can be done ? Up to you..

You car looks lovely especially given its a few moons old so why not get it to its best....

Thanks so much guys. Charlie that A4 looks incredible! I am really pleased with my Rav, it's in really good condition inside and out just needed a little TLC.

I will invest in a polisher, I will have a look around for one online and read the sticky then get back to you if that's ok for some more advice?! My enthusiasm has certainly decreased from polishing by hand!

Will keep you posted :) many thanks again guys

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

I hope everyone is well. I didn't end up doing my Rav's paint work in the end. I have decided to let a professional do it instead. The bonnet I think will need a respray but the rest just needs buffing. Any ideas how much this could/should cost?

Also will the polishing need re-doing professionally again as it fades or should a professional job stop this?

As ever thanks you for your time, I absolutely love my Rav and am so glad I purchased one :)

Thanks

I had a quote from a local well respected body shop to respray my bonnet and a full buff to remove the swirlies / scratches for £300 + VAT.

Once done as long as you wash it properly then swirlies should be minimal . . . red fading . . . unlikely

Thanks Tony, that's not bad actually! My brother knows a couple of places but I thought I'd get a ball park figure first! I will wash it with autoglym afterwards which I hope will maintain it.

Thanks again

I aim at a price of around £100 - £120 a panel when looking around for a paint job. Theres one guy that I use now and again and he is very good and prices are good too. Just a case of looking around or trying a local car club for recommendations.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links