Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dual Mass Flywheel Replacement Or What?

mrbluesky

Wondered whether any one on here can help, I have a RAV Diesel XTR 2008 its done 56k no towing or stress? I took it into the local Toyota Garage as the car judders slightly when dong nearly 2000 revs. They tested it and said it was not an engine problem but thought that the DMF was probably going, They recommended I wait until it was really bad before replacing it then the cost would be £2,000 plus they would renew clutch in that price.

The question is does this symptom sound like a DMF going, if so how long before it goes and can you recommend anyone locally that would do the job for a reasonable amount? We were thinking of going abroad with the car but I would be concerned it might go when we are away!

Hi my location is near Yeovil South Somerset

For a DMF to go such low mileage that's ridiculous, so much for Toyota reliability! The clutch is going on my Mrs Rav4 and it's only done 64k and Mr T want £1k!

Have you tried an ECU reset to see if it goes away?

No haven't tried that would I be correct ECU would be as follows,thanks very much for the suggestion no harm in trying, I agree wouldn't expect failures at this early stage would make me think again about another diesel RAV!!

1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.

2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.

3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset

• Like 1

Just looked up ECU reset on the forum and it seems disconnecting the negative cable on the Battery for 10 mins may be the best method??

ECU reset???

From what mrbluesky said above, can anyone confirm that this a way to reset an ECU? It does sound as if this could actually happen by accident!

1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.
2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.
3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.
4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset

Chris

For a DMF to go such low mileage that's ridiculous, so much for Toyota reliability! The clutch is going on my Mrs Rav4 and it's only done 64k and Mr T want £1k!

I know DMFs have been tweaked and updated in recent years, but JFI my first one failed at c60k mi, and the 'updated' replacement packed in just 24k mi later.

One of the effects of DMFs wearing (excessive rotational backlash, as the internal springing wears) is to subject the clutch friction plate to greatly accelerated wear, often to the point where the clutch plate fails completely (disintegrates), even though the DMF is still "in one piece". Hence the advice to replace both items should one fail (and to save on workshop costs), and the much more depressing policy now of flywheels being a "consumable item". Words fail.

Chris

It is very rare for a DMF to go on a 4.3 Rav...

How long you have is pure guess work .. No one can possibly tell ... 2K sounds a wee bit expensive but not that far out...

A judder can indicate many things on a clutch assembly like for instance a slightly warped driven plate.. A DMF would be announcing its departure by making rattly noises.. Do you have noises ???

Disconnecting the Battery and leaving in disconnected will do some sort of a reset ... Cars have do much computing power now and it's like re booting a computer.. Worth a try at least ??

MANY Thanks to all who have replied and tried to help, I have tried the reset but to no avail, my RAV is a 2 litre model so may have a worse record than the 4.3? I have found a good mechanic who is going to test drive it to see what he thinks? The consensus of opinion is if we keep the RAV we should have the work done sooner rather than later! I must admit if I did go for another car I wouldn't go for another diesel RAV maybe a Petrol version depends on the MPG I would get? Or I might look for something different any suggestions??

Could the judder be caused by something else? Thrown wheel weight for instance?

Could be a Possibility have to check tracking preferable to DMF replacement if it is!!

Do us a favour and fill your vehicle details into your profile. After trawling back through the posts I see you have a 2008 diesel. It is a 2.2 not a 2.0 and as Charlie says, DMF failure is extremely uncommon.

Anchorman have filled in more details as suggested anything except Clutch/DMF failure would be a result!!

Anchorman have filled in more details as suggested anything except Clutch/DMF failure would be a result!!

You still haven't answered my question as to whether or not you have the noises one would associate with a DMF handing in its notice ?

Many many things could give a judder.. From a simple filter starting to get blocked to say a driven plate getting out of true or a DMF giving notice.. It really could be one of quite a lot of things..

Its a right royal game trying to diagnose problems over the net but we are happy to try but good information and as much as can be given will help us help you.....

• Like 1

Haven't had any other symptoms other than the slight juddering just as you approach the 2000 revs, I have noticed the Fuel consumption has reduced from 49 mpg to around the 45 mpg despite doing some long distance driving.Clutch is fine no troubles with the gears, engine is little noisy at start up not sure whether any more than usual noise I put down to engine warm up. Originally thought it was associated with dirt or water in diesel ie carburettor issue. Two mechanics who took it out didn't notice any problems only the service guy spotted it then put it on computer for a check and couldn't sort the problem. So they took great delight in telling me the DMF was probably going and told me the costs with pound notes rolling in their eyes.

45 MPG ????? Really ???? 49 is out of this world even 45 is quite amazing.....

There are No carburettors on your 2.2 Diesel in fact there has never been a carb on any diesel ....

Im no ace mechanic but unless there are noises or something more prominent than a slight judder as you aproach 2000RPM Its a fair bet it aint DMF related..

Thanks for the correction on the carb but I was trying to explain the sensation and yes the reading was 49.5 which I assume is the mpg so shows the engine is in good nick if that is a true reading

Thought I would give you an update on my visit to the mechanic today he took it out for a run and replicated the problem, in his opinion he thought replacing the DMF would be a waste of money. He couldn't put his finger on the problem but was leaning more towards a fuel related issue such as the injectors. He said that it felt like the engine was misfiring in part but definitely a REV related issue so he gave me a bottle of liquid to put into the diesel called Forte Advanced Diesel Treatment. I need to put this into the next tank of good quality diesel from Shell, BP and see if it clears it up? Watch this space!

You NEED to replace the diesel fuel filter ... As said so many times before the fuel filter must be the first port if call !!! If your mechanic has not done this and advised putting in additives first then you need a new mechanic..

I am not being cynical here but that filter is and has been in the past responsible for so many similar issues its mad !!

You could be right there I have gone back to the Mechanic and suggested this ??Did wonder whether if there was muck in the system it would be worth changing after the FORTE??

Also found this on this site may be applicable??

you must to consider the following reasons:

- EGR clogging/partly clogging;
- SCV might to play;
- MAF sensor is dirty;
- fuel filter is dirty;
- water in diesel (sensor on the fuel filter);
- lack of signal on the injector control ;
- poor injection (over fueling or one/two cylinders);
- engine air filter
- error stored in ECU
start to investigate and revert with outcome
cheers / Igor