Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rusty Sump

pmb

Took Ravy in for yet another MOT the other day (which it passed) and mentioned about an oil leak. I was hoping it was a sump gasket and not the crankshaft oil seal (which sounds a nightmare). Anyway the local garage said the sump was very rusty and causing this. I was a bit surprised but its not a problem. They have sourced a new one , so the question is , anyone else had this?

Surprised that something with a gasket holding back OIL would rust, Paul....so are they insinuating the rust has caused it to distort and leak, or punctured........?

I had a similar problem on MOT with a Fiat Punto.

A 1998 model and apparantly it's a common problem on these. This sump wasn't leaking but was corroded and could have let go anytime!

My MOT man said Punto's use sumps made of crap steel! His technical diagnosis...................

It is common on a lot of cars, sadly Kev they rust from the outside in, I agree with the technical term..............crap steel :lol:

Kingo :thumbsup:

It is common on a lot of cars, sadly Kev they rust from the outside in, I agree with the technical term..............crap steel :lol:

Pig iron.....?

Thanks for the replies. I'm wondering if all the short journeys have contributed to it. New sump is about £120 and it's booked in for wednesday. I've had 2 oxygen sensors , a water pump , expensive handbrake cable and now this but I don't think it's bad for 11 years of ownership. I really need to do something with the 13 plate I bought at christmas but I'm just loathe to get rid of it (no , it won't be another Rav).

Well it's in at the local garage today for a £120 sump (should have pm'ed Kingo?) ($91 in the US) I was surprised at how small it is. Didn't realize that it doesn't have a sump gasket but just sealant. The patient is staying overnight so that the sealant cures and should be picking it up tomorrow. Will be interested to have a look at the old one.

Common fault on many early yaris's I believe and also I had a 2005 nissan terrano van which had same problem. My daughters 99 yaris was getting quite bad when she sold it for a iq.

£120?? Good bit better than the €300 I had to pay for a 4.2 sump several years ago. (I hit a rock.) Now €404 by the looks of it...

£120?? Good bit better than the €300 I had to pay for a 4.2 sump several years ago. (I hit a rock.) Now €404 by the looks of it...

£99.60 plus VAT at todays price

If you bought from the States, the carriage and import duty would not save you any money.

The Punto sump I referred to earlier, (remember, the crap steel one!) cost me £62:00 including the sealant, (black sticky stuff!)

Presumably its another crap steel one.....................? but the first one lasted fourteen years, so that will probably see the little super mini out.................

Actually it's been a very good little runabout with fuel consumption figures to die for, particularly when comparing with the RAV, though I guess we RAV owners don't buy them for good fuel consumption, it's all the other features which attract!

Where are those prices from? Kingo is spot on £99.60 + vat. Looking on toyodiy.com it says around 125 euros. The old one did look iffy in a couple of places I have to say. Anyway , I've s(t)umped up the money and got it back.

Prices do go down, as well as up! I seem to remember them being much more than £99

Prices do go down, as well as up! I seem to remember them being much more than £99

Possibility of being gasumped then.......?

• Like 1

Possibility of being gasumped then.......?

Too much :sick:

• 5 years later...

hi im new to forum and going through old posts. its common for sumps to rust and leak as ive fitted a few over the years ive recently bought a rav 4 d4d 55 plate and knew the sump was weeping before sale and thinking it was easy/cheap fix,thinking £50-60 plus oil and filter and an hours work.what a shock toyota want £330 plus vat for a foot of pressed steel!!!!!. im looking for a second hand one now

Because it's a relatively common problem - there's loads of aftermarket sumps for around £50 - just google Rav4 sump / oil pan. It's usually cars without engine under-shields that suffer the most - they get sandblasted with dirt, grit etc. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/28/2018 at 6:29 PM, gjnorthall said:

Because it's a relatively common problem - there's loads of aftermarket sumps for around £50 - just google Rav4 sump / oil pan. It's usually cars without engine under-shields that suffer the most - they get sandblasted with dirt, grit etc. 

thanks i got one off buycarparts .co.uk delivered (from germany lol) for £80 fitted perfect new oil and filter  sorted in an hour and a half

If you car leaked a bit of oil, it would never have rusted out 🙂