Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Location Of Diagnostic Socket

chubbles

Having re installed the ECU I am now trying to find the diagnostic socket. I can't find anything near the steering wheel, in the footwell, behind the ashtray, under the bonnet or even under the glove box. AM I MISSING something - or should I go back to Specsavers?

How old is your RAV? They were only fitted after a certain age (2003?) if fitted, should be on right hand side just below fuses IIRC

Hi Hoovie,

I totally forgot to mention the age of my Rav4 - it was registered in June 2001, maybe because of what you say it doe's not have one. Problem!!!!!!!!!!! how would a Toyota dealer diagnose any problems?

It will have one!

My RAV 4 is a September 2001 build and the socket is just below the dash on the far right hand side. Sit in drivers seat and go under hard against the body with your right hand.It's in there somewhere!

I have looked EVERYWHERE inside the car,right side, left side, in the dash, under the dash, every nook and cranny, maybe if I give it a whirl using my powerful LED lamp I might find one! What colour and how many pins, can I buy a scanner to DIY it myself?

It's there all right!

Put your hand up under the dash, just left of the bonnet release lever and you will feel a muli pin female socket end.

To see it, you would probably have to do a headstand in the footwell? but it is up there, clearly to be felt but not seen!

I will stop my description there, it could get to be "to much information!"

Sounds like I'll have to get my son to do the headstand - I'm too aul for gymnastics now. I'll let you know the results later - Thanks for the info

Get on your knees outside the drivers door , peer under the dash just to the left of the bonnet release and there should be a white double row connector. Trust me , it's impossible to miss!

Thank you for the tip - must get my prayer mat out!!!! At the minute someone has their car parked a wee bit too close for comfort - its a race for space here. I'll get back to you ASAP

Don't know the exact dates, BUT .... The diesels got the EOBD port later then the patrols (and by a number of years) so it is possible that one RAV can be older and have the connector then a connector-less newer RAV ;)

Eureka - I have found it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The socket was exactly in the spot you described. I did get a bit of help from the fact that the car which had been really close to my car was no where in sight The socket has 16 pins - would one of those Launch Creader V devices suit do you know? Many, many thanks for your help.

Should do. Looks to be a standard (slightly expensive) OBD II reader so don't see why not. If you look on the general forum there are many people who will quite happily read any codes you have , it's a pinned thread. You've not posted your location but there will probably be someone near.

Many thanks to all for your help and advice. Nice to know the are knowledgeable about whom I can turn to. Incidently I live in Northern Ireland. Cheers.