Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Spot / Driving Lights

jolly-friar

Has anyone fitted spot / driving lights to their RAV4.3.5 ?

How did you fit them ?

Did you notice any difference when driving at night ?

The "boys" want me to fit some to my RAV,

I found this picture to illustrate one way of attaching them.

gallery_56959_1575_29801.jpg

They wanted to fit this, but I told them definitely NO...

gallery_56959_1575_205729.jpg

I fitted the official Toyota Spots to my RAV4.2 - fitting in my case was by attaching to the nudge bar, but I think they could be attached direct to the bumper as well

I thought the spots were small, but they DID do the job and I certainly noticed when they stopped working (after the relay failed).

I did fit them after I upgraded the bulbs in the main headlamps and that is the first thing to do IMO as that makes a BIG difference.

I think the lights on that first picture for the red RAV look really good actually :)

I fitted the official Toyota Spots to my RAV4.2 - fitting in my case was by attaching to the nudge bar, but I think they could be attached direct to the bumper as well

I thought the spots were small, but they DID do the job and I certainly noticed when they stopped working (after the relay failed).

I did fit them after I upgraded the bulbs in the main headlamps and that is the first thing to do IMO as that makes a BIG difference.

I think the lights on that first picture for the red RAV look really good actually :)

Interesting... thanks David.

The last vehicle I had spot lights on, was a XR3i... so just a few years ago.

Yes, I am beginning to like the first picture too now... until I find out the price of it !

+1, looks really good.

I forgot to add the pic of my RAV4.2 with the lights ...

RAV3Large.jpg

They look good... very bright.

Is your grille different ? don't think I've seen that style before...

Before you even baulked at the possible financialities, Liz, I had already thought that it really isnae financially viable unless you live extremely rurally and do a hellya (HELLIA.....get it......?) lot of night time / anti social hours FULL BEAM driving. (with few fellow drivers on the road.....) Otherwise they just sit there looking as if you lost yer way somewhere between Paris and Dakaar.....unused. Just my honest opinion as per yoojull.....

BTW.......that wee grille conversion for 4.2 available on ye bay....made in Polandshire methinks....

• Like 2

Save your money Liz. Osram nightbreakers are as good as any driving lamps and in any case, the cops will have you for that knee breaking device.

• Like 1

Before you even baulked at the possible financialities, Liz, I had already thought that it really isnae financially viable unless you live extremely rurally and do a hellya (HELLIA.....get it......?) lot of night time / anti social hours FULL BEAM driving. (with few fellow drivers on the road.....) Otherwise they just sit there looking as if you lost yer way somewhere between Paris and Dakaar.....unused. Just my honest opinion as per yoojull.....

BTW.......that wee grille conversion for 4.2 available on ye bay....made in Polandshire methinks....

Kev makes a good point. I fitted mine when I lived down in Devon and mostly for appearance sakes. As I mentioned, I did find them VERY useful and effective once I had moved up to the Borders, especially in winter time, when there is only about 54 minutes between Dawn and Dusk, where the concept of street lighting has yet to make inroads and there are more pheasants on the road then there are cars.

I had fitted Philips Extreme bulbs to both main beam and spotlights as well :D

• Like 1

Agreed . . . Go for the Philips Nightbreakers . . . Amazon and elsewhere. Legal, tidy and MoT-able.

• Like 1

Kev makes a good point. I fitted mine when I lived down in Devon and mostly for appearance sakes. As I mentioned, I did find them VERY useful and effective once I had moved up to the Borders, especially in winter time, when there is only about 54 minutes between Dawn and Dusk, where the concept of street lighting has yet to make inroads and there are more pheasants on the road then there are cars.

I had fitted Philips Extreme bulbs to both main beam and spotlights as well :D

Completely agree with the above learned members,as with the amount of traffic on most roads, how often do you get to hit main beam?

I had a pair of Lucas Flamethrowers on my cars,when I did a little bit of club rallying, too many years ago to mention,and they did get used on and off the tarmac.

Depends on how much you value yer street cred,when you come down to it eh :ermm:

Del

• Like 1

Thanks guys... :) :thumbsup:

I do appreciate your honest comments.. :yes:

Like you say, probably wouldn't use them that much, so would just be mainly for show.

I do like the idea of changing the headlamp bulbs..

I think OH might use night breakers in his car... ( maybe I should swap them for mine when he's not looking..LOL )

A nice thing about the RAV4.3 is now easy and quick it is to change the headlight bulbs... About 5 mns for the pair. Some cars need bumpers removed even!

A nice thing about the RAV4.3 is now easy and quick it is to change the headlight bulbs... About 5 mns for the pair. Some cars need bumpers removed even!

French ones in partcular.............

French ones in partcular.............

Uh-oh! (My auto francais is ok though ;) )

Spoke to OH about nightbreakers for the RAV...

His reply was " I got you some of them just after you bought it, they must still be in the car somewhere..." :eek:

My reply was.. :censor: :censor: :censor:

I shall be arranging to have them fitted very soon... ( hopefully before his divorce papers arrive ! :D )

Thanks, reading through this reminded me I had some to fit, I fitted the H11 (dipped beam) last winter and needed to fit the HB3's.

Not a bad job but could have done with double jointed wrists for the right hand side behind/in front of the water bottle. :)

As an aside how do you get at the fog lamp bulbs?

Gus

Thanks, reading through this reminded me I had some to fit, I fitted the H11 (dipped beam) last winter and needed to fit the HB3's.

Not a bad job but could have done with double jointed wrists for the right hand side behind/in front of the water bottle. :)

As an aside how do you get at the fog lamp bulbs?

Gus

It's not easy... from what I remember last time I saw it done..

You have to separate the bumper & wheel arch liner behind the fog lamp..

Then squeeze your hand between the two, to get to the back of the fog lamp..

Hopefully one of the others might be able to explain better than me.. :blush:

Wee KTH (Kev Techy Hint......). Do not wait furra cold weather to start doing yer fog light bulbs.....tham thar wheel arch liners go absolutely bloody solid inflexible in winter, and spring back on yer digits like a Sumurai sword.........the main reason ma 12 string guitbox only has 10 strings.....LOL.

I admit to having hands like a midwife, but them arch liners have a nasty streak.......

I have recently fitted a pair of Piaa to my T180. I have them fitted directly onto the bumper with a pair of brackets behind the bumper to secure it. Make a lots of different when driving at night and I think it look good too :)

post-131129-0-78157200-1376358462_thumb.

• Like 1

I have recently fitted a pair of Piaa to my T180. I have them fitted directly onto the bumper with a pair of brackets behind the bumper to secure it. Make a lots of different when driving at night and I think it look good too :)

Suits the car. Nice :)

.........and IMHO, would look even better without their guards. If they are stone guards, PIAA must be legislating only for half bricks being thrown up.....LOL.

They look really good... :)

It is possible that the earlier front, with the bumper protector, suits the spot lights better than mine ?

Now I am Lizzy in a tizzy.... :crybaby:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links