Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Touch & Go Internet Search

Jan R

Hi,

I`ve successfully connected my Windows Phone 8 mobile to the car via bluetooth.

I`m unable to download map directions via the phone as shown

The error is "Unable to connect, check your phone".

Have anyone else got internet connection/tethering working via Windows phones?

Update: Just found http://www.toyota-europe.com/own/bluetooth/bluetooth_connect.tmex and see that "Connected Services" isn`t supported on Nokia Lumia Phones. However, I also tried with my wife`s Galaxy S2 which is supported, but I get the same error. Internet sharing for bluetooth is enabled on the phone. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Be careful you are not just PRESUMING your Touch and Go has the facility to do that which you are PRESUMING, Jan.......I presumed mine could receive texts.....it doesn't. I also presumed mine had voice commands.....you guessed it......doesn't.

There seems to be a vast array of does and does not with these machines, and you only find out when you have bought the car.

Big Kev....and welcome to the Forum of the bewildered.

Be careful you are not just PRESUMING your Touch and Go has the facility to do that which you are PRESUMING, Jan.......I presumed mine could receive texts.....it doesn't. I also presumed mine had voice commands.....you guessed it......doesn't.

There seems to be a vast array of does and does not with these machines, and you only find out when you have bought the car.

Absolutely correct Oh Wise BK. My Lumia Windows phone connected no problem and it works a treat as a phone. On first use I was also pleasantly surprised to find that the few music tracks that are on the phone also played through the car system and in random sequence as well. So pleased was I that I loaded a goodly further number of tracks from my iPod file onto the phone in anticipation of using it wirelessly rather than having to wire up the iPod.

Sod's Law has kicked in however and now I can no longer get random play and the stereo will only play whatever album is selected on the phone. I've tried every combination of buttons/commands on the phone & the head unit to no avail. The phone still works a treat though so I suppose I shouldn't grumble.

I'll just wire up the iPod, I suppose..................F**k*ng technology!

Absolutely correct Oh Wise BK. My Lumia Windows phone connected no problem and it works a treat as a phone. On first use I was also pleasantly surprised to find that the few music tracks that are on the phone also played through the car system and in random sequence as well. So pleased was I that I loaded a goodly further number of tracks from my iPod file onto the phone in anticipation of using it wirelessly rather than having to wire up the iPod.

Sod's Law has kicked in however and now I can no longer get random play and the stereo will only play whatever album is selected on the phone. I've tried every combination of buttons/commands on the phone & the head unit to no avail. The phone still works a treat though so I suppose I shouldn't grumble.

I'll just wire up the iPod, I suppose..................F**k*ng technology!

I suspect the main problem is the rate of evolution of mobile phones. When I bought my XT5 ( 2008 with a 9004 head-unit ) Toyota published a list of compatible phones. Within about 18 months just about none of them were available. Now if we changed our headunits as often as we changed our mobiles the problem might not be so great - but that is an expensive option. I've not come across a 2DIN head-unit with updateable software, I suspect that they don't exist, but despite the "universal" nature of Bluetooth(?) this seems the only way newer mobiles could be accommodated. My solution was to keep my old Sony Ericsson K800i and leave it connected in the car with a PAYG sim in it. Not everyone's preferred solution - but it works for me.

Thanks. I won`t use more time on trying to get this to work. It`s not that often there is a need to download routes from the internet...when planning for example routes for a vacation it`s ok to just copy them to a USB-stick and copy them to the car.

To allow Internet access on Samsung galaxy S3 I have to enable bluetooth tethering on the phone. On my phone this is done by accessing settings, then more settings, then tethering and portable hotspot , then tick bluetooth tethering. Once I have done this the car can use my phone to connect, from what I can find it is not the car but the phone which will only allow A connection if I enable it.

To allow Internet access on Samsung galaxy S3 I have to enable Bluetooth tethering on the phone. On my phone this is done by accessing settings, then more settings, then tethering and portable hotspot , then tick Bluetooth tethering. Once I have done this the car can use my phone to connect, from what I can find it is not the car but the phone which will only allow A connection if I enable it.

Hi Lee,

you also need to check the conditions of your mobile data contract - some of them don't allow tethering even if the phone is capable. DON'T ASK - I found out the hard way!