Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Things To Check Before Picking Up My T180?

Disco_Mikey

Put a deposit down on a T180 D-CAT this morning. Gave it a decent run before commiting to it.

In the past, I have had a 130 GT TDi Golf, and a remapped (160bhp) Fabia vRS. Maybe I was just expecting a bit much, but I thought it would be quicker than the 180bhp would suggest... It drove smoothly enough, didn't notice much smoke when flooring it etc

The handbrake was stuck on, and the brakes were pretty smelly, but the car needs an MOT, and should be resolved for the MOT to be carried out. Can't see that affecting the performance that badly though...

Throttle response was a bit poor IMO, but having read the EGR cleaning thread, it would seem that this is a common issue, and the first place to start!

However, upon reading some more about them, it would seem that fuel pumps and injectors are fairly common on the 2.2 diesel, as is head gasket failure...

Is there any way to check for potential issues before handing over my hard earned?

Thanks in advance :)

Edited to add, I also had a look at remaps. According to the internet (which is normally a big fat liar!) a remap and tuning boxes are not advised to be used with the 2.2 engine? :disgust:

Never seen a fuel pump being needed seen a few injectors failing but nothing out of the ordinary.

The SCV valve can fail causing extended cranking and DPNR's can play up usually down to a blocked EGR or faulty 5th injector.

The single biggest issue is oil consumption which causes soot this in turn blocks the EGR, DPNR, 5th injector and causes head gasket issues. There is an extended warranty of 7years/111946miles to deal with these issues. So monitor the oil levels and if the car uses more than 0.5lt/621miles get it to a dealer.

Speak to partsking on here ref your tuning box he has had lots of good reviews and posts for his tuning box.

OK, I'm new to all this Toyota business. Normally play around with Land Rovers!

SCV valve?

DPNR?

And a 5th injector?

A bit relieved that fuel pumps and injectors are not all that common. Stupid Google scaring the bejesus out of me with tales of £3k bills!

At least I remember the header tank/expansion tank was spotless, and the level was OK. Will need to keep an eye on that...

SCV = Suction control valve, a valve on the fuel pump controlled by the engine ecu, used to control fuel pressure onto the common rail.

DPNR = Diesel particulate and NOx reduction, a filter in the exhaust to contain and burn diesel particulate matter by way of regeneration, the engine ecu monitors the flow rate through the filter and when it starts to reduce the ecu fires diesel into the filter via the 5th injector to raise the filter temp in excess of 500 degrees centigrade to burn off the diesel particulates. It also reduces the NOx emissions from the exhaust.

DPNR = DPF?

Can it be mapped out at all, ala VAG engines?

Yeah kinda, DPNR = DPF in toyota world. = why mpg isn't the best on the t180 - neat diesel being injected into the exhaust all to reduce emissions!

Anything is possible i guess re: remap, just needs time and money. I haven't come across a company who has spent the time and/or money to crack the denso ecu to remap it i'm afraid. Parts King has an excellent tuning box for the t180, a quick search on the forum will reveal a lot of good comments and one or two dyno results with the kit on a 2.2 180 engine (I don't think it was an auris).

So far as I am aware no one has cracked the Denso software to allow remapping. Hence the reason only piggyback ECU's exist to tune the engine.

Also becuase of the set up removing the DPNR puts the car into limp mode again with no apparent way around it yet.

The 2.2 D-CAT doesnt feel as potent as vag diesels, but its the way the VAG TDI's deliver their power...they give a big rush at low revs to give that sensation of speed. Watch some videos on youtube, SR180 was quicker in every gear than a Leon TDI FR 150 and the SR seemed to start to pull away after a while (as you would expect). But i have no doubt the 150 TDi 'feels' much quicker, but its a slower car in reality.

The Denso pumps CANNOT be cracked so a tuning box is the only way to go if you want more power

We do a kit, takes it to about 200 BHP and smoothes out the power delivery right the way through the rev band

PM me for more details

Kingo :thumbsup: