Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Screeching Noise

nam-thip

2004Toyota Yaris T spirit Vvt-5DR A 1299CC

Can anyone tell me why I have a screeching noise when I turn my steering wheel at low speeds?

As an example into or out of a parking space or simply manoeuvring the car around a supermarket car park.,

It's recently been MOT'd so the tyres are in good order and the pressures are correct.

Any suggestions are appreciated before I take it to my service garage as a little knowledge is always helpful when discussing the problem with the mechanic.

Loose power steering belt. Either adjust or replace: see left of engine when you open bonnet.

(I assume it has hydraulic power steering and a fluid reservoir and not electric power steering)

Even with electric it could cause belt slip as it puts a hefty load on the alternator. That energy to turn the wheels still has to come from the engine.

Thanks guys but as far as the handbook says its electric and not hydraulic power steering.

After further inspection I found the nearside wheel arch is three quarters of an inch lower than the offside wheel arch.

Tyre pressures are spot on.

I found no visible sign of tyre wear or scuff damage within the wheel arch.

Check the front spring for breakage.

Hi guys

Update: I took the car into my local garage this morning for the mechanic to give it a once over.

Even though the screeching sound when the steering wheel is on hard lock does sound like the belt is slipping the mechanic after I mentioned the car was lower on the nearside than it was on the offside mentioned it could be a broken spring.

I've booked it in for him to check out the problem and correct it.

I'll post his findings when the work is complete.

Update.

Screeching belt now sorted: The garage mechanic found a small oil leak coming from the oil pressure switch that was dripping onto the belt at the base which was the cause of the belt slip and the screeching sound.

He renewed the oil pressure switch.

I mentioned the car was 1" lower on one side than the other at the front.

Sorted: He removed both front springs for inspection and found that one was weak and had an amount of rust which he said in time would become brittle then snap and at worse can end up smashing through the tyre.

I instructed him to renew both springs.

Thanks for your input guys, it helped me to understand the problem.

• Like 1

Good result :thumbsup:

Thanks for letting us know how you got on! :)