Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Norton

vmail

for days I've been having probs with Norton AV 2004, had to manually remove it on the HardDrive and from the registry, I have deleted a few other things by mistake, now WIN+E doesnt work and when I click on a folder it opens the search window instead of opening the folder, I dont want to reboot just incase if I cant get in, the PC loads up loads quicker now that I am using Avast, and only using 10% of RAM instead of 35% at idle.

other stuff that I have got rid off and now using 3rd Party software

MSN

IRC

Kazza

Outlook

XP Pro(will upgrade in a few weeks)

Access (will upgrade to Oracle)

yeah since 2002 (i think) norton AV got REALLY bloated.

i had an older version that i'd had installed previously that used up hardly any resources that was compatible with the latest AV updates so all was good, cept i lost the disc, lol

hrm what else?...

latest zonealarm is bloated too, older versions used much less resources. its the new "skinning" engine that they use, pity u cant turn it off.

as for outlook, NEVER used that. its pants... heh

as for the search window problem have a go with ol regedit.

u cant do too much harm in there (just make sure u backup any keys prior to editing).

I think this' the branch that u'll need to edit as somehow u've messed up either the default action (open) and set it to serch. either that or deletd the open cmd.

..\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder

in case u need it here's mine exported as a reg file m8.

u can just click on it to merge it, and it should correct the actions.

FOLDER.reg

same here, i stopped using it this year. 2004 AV was way to slow and caused my pc to lock up a few times. Ive got a Dual pentium 3 box running at 800mhz, it took it 10 minutes to scan 2 50kb emails before sending them out.

ok, what should I use instead of zona alarm, the PCs, are networked x3, and only the main server is connected to the net (the other PCs uses the server as a proxy) the server is a FTP, IIS, Storage, and Games Server

well tbh as must as i dont like the fact zonealarm is a little heavy at times it's a must imo.

functionally its spot on and the advanced settings r second 2 none!

so i'd suggest u install that neways !

then the best thing to do is use something like this:

http://64.37.72.176/ZoneAlarmPro_Expert_Rules.htm

to get ur configuration started, then u'll be practing safe internet browsing. its all about safety nowdays! :thumbsup:

-Z

cheers, thats just what I deleted

looks complex, Ive only opened the ports on the XP firewall for the P2P software, still some traces of norton on the system, gonna blitz the hard drive now

while Im here, I have approx 10,000,000,000,000 files, some are same files but with diffent name

ie file A and B are the same size and contain the same data(byte by byte), just have different names

Is there a software that can find these duplicates for me

Now where its ment to say My Computer and Network Places it just says Folder, how do I fix it?

vmail Posted on May 5 2004, 10:47 AM

while Im here, I have approx 10,000,000,000,000 files, some are same files but with diffent name

ie file A and B are the same size and contain the same data(byte by byte), just have different names

Is there a software that can find these duplicates for me 

i used cleansweep to do this ages ago. not really had a need for something like this recently. i'm sure a quick google search will bring something decent up.

vmail Posted on May 5 2004, 12:59 PM

Now where its ment to say My Computer and Network Places it just says Folder, how do I fix it? 

Do u mean on the desktop? :unsure:

or is it somewhere else. i say this cos pretty much all this kinda stuff is defined in the registry just scattered about.

so if u tell me what bits r wrong i can help ya sort em out.

-Z

under explorer

recycle bin is buggered aswell

vmail - do the icons still retain functionality?

i.e. does the recycle bin work like the recycle bin?

Here's a reg file to correct the recycle bin...

if that works i'll do the same for My computer.

-Z

RecycleBin.reg

cheers, bin fixed now

with the 1st reg file it Renames "My Computer" and "My Network Places" to "Folder", messed with the Registry and now they both say "My Computer" how do I give My Network Places its own name?

do you know any thing about XP's HAL?

can't u just rename it on the desktop?

as for HAL basically is just some drivers winxp needs for base stuff such as for ur bios. depending on ur bios on install xp will usualy select the correct one for u. in my case w. my bios being acpi compatible it selected ACPI Uniprocessor PC. u can change it to Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC if ur feeling brave, but i was lazy on the current xp install. heh

-Z

got 2 XPs

XP1 Drive C Stripe Raid Array (HAL: Standard PC)

XP2 Drive D Mirror Raid Array (HAL: MPS)

so theres nuffin wrong with the BIOS

and when I try to update the drivers, it cant find the files, where are the files?

can't u just rename it on the desktop?

Doh!

dont worry about the update. i dont think it exists. i can't rem updating it once or finding an update for that matter.

-Z

I can fix the prob it I upgrade to Win2003, but that would be next week cos Im busy with uni work and saving money for other ppl (approx 12Gs)

I can fix the prob it I upgrade to Win2003, but that would be next week cos Im busy with uni work

tell me about it... i'm tied down like hell till the end of the month. :(

after that i'm scott free :)

-Z