Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacement Tailgate / Spare Wheel Capability - Chapter5

jolly-friar

Introduction

As requested by a few members on this forum.

This is our account on how we replaced the tailgate on my RAV4 to the version which has the spare wheel mounting option.

Please understand that we are not mechanically trained, or qualified. So, any comments are welcome, especially if we have made any mistakes, missed anything important, or just require further info.

Chapter Five – Attach replacement tailgate

Tools required/used:

• Socket set
  • Torx set

Cost this chapter : £95

Cost to date : £1387

Install rubber grommets into tailgate, in the area where the hinges will attach, by gently pushing them into place.

Reunite tailgate to body. Insert the four bolts through the hinges and tighten up.

WARNING THE TAILGATE IS STILL EXTREMELY HEAVY.

gallery_56959_1576_664.jpg

Install check strap into tailgate, and connect restricting arm to vehicle body.

Carefully insert loom through entry hole into tailgate, and attach flexible rubber loom protector to tailgate.

Install bottom bump stop, by gently pushing and twisting.

Install interior light buffer switch.

Install support locator on the side of the tailgate using the two specific bolts.

Install locking mechanism using the three specific torx bolts

gallery_56959_1576_14794.jpg

Install top bump stop, by gently pushing and twisting.

Install wiper motor using the three specific bolts.

Install rear window : £15 - Local windscreen company.

There are three aesthetic rubber mouldings ( left/right side & bottom ) attached to the glass. These can easily be damaged when removing the window, so they were replaced with new ones.

• Moulding, back window Left : 75574-42020
  • Moulding, back window Right : 75573-42040
  • Moulding, back window Lower : 75575-42020

Once rear window had been fitted, the rubber gasket for the wiper motor spindle was installed.

gallery_56959_1576_8283.jpg

Install washer jet

gallery_56959_1576_5297.jpg

Prepare for spoiler by installing the three plastic retainers.

• Spoiler retainer : 90467-09196 x3

gallery_56959_1576_8199.jpg

Attach spoiler using the three specific bolts. Insert rubber grommet.

gallery_56959_1594_215.jpg

Prepare for garnish panels by installing the top/bottom retainers

• Grommet : 90189-06235 x2

gallery_56959_1576_980.jpg

gallery_56959_1576_6957.jpg

Prepare top right garnish panel

Install the retainer clips.

• Garnish sub-assy yellow clip : 76827-42020 x1
  • Garnish sub-assy blue clip : 75495-35010 x4
  • Garnish sub-assy red clip : 75397-35010 x1

Install the double-sided trim tape using a length in excess of what is required. This is so that the extra length of backing material can be used to aid removal after installing. Mount the tape just in slightly in from the edge and cut excess trim tape, but NOT the backing.

Install top right garnish panel.

Make sure that the garnish panel is underneath the lower rubber moulding on the rear window and the retaining clips are fully seated. Then gently remove the backing material from the trim tape

gallery_56959_1576_11897.jpg

Prepare top left garnish panel

• Garnish sub-assy yellow clip : 76827-42020 x1
  • Garnish sub-assy red clip : 75397-35010 x1

Install the double-sided trim tape using a length in excess of what is required. This is so that the extra length of backing material can be used to aid removal after installing. Mount the tape just in slightly in from the edge and cut excess trim tape, but NOT the backing.

gallery_56959_1576_9485.jpg

Install top left garnish panel.

Make sure that the garnish panel is underneath the lower rubber moulding on the rear window and the retaining clips are fully seated. Then gently remove the backing material from the trim tape

Install top garnish retaining bolt & washer.

• Bolts/washers from existing supplies x2 (picture shows top & bottom)

gallery_56959_1576_6164.jpg

gallery_56959_1576_8631.jpg

Prepare bottom right garnish panel

Installing the retainer clips.

• Garnish sub-assy blue clip : 75495-35010 x3
  • Garnish sub-assy red clip : 75397-35010 x2

gallery_56959_1576_9589.jpg

Install bottom right garnish panel

Make sure that the retaining clips are fully seated. Then gently remove the backing material from the trim tape

gallery_56959_1576_12555.jpg

Prepare bottom left garnish panel.

• Garnish sub-assy red clip : 75397-35010 x4

Install bottom left garnish panel

Make sure that the retaining clips are fully seated. Then gently remove the backing material from the trim tape.

gallery_56959_1576_10235.jpg

Install bottom garnish retaining bolt & washer.

• Bolts/washers from existing supplies x2 (picture shows top & bottom)

Prepare for wheel carrier

Install top/bottom locators.

• Wheel carrier top retainer : 90467-09077 x1
  • Wheel carrier bottom retainer : 76835-52010 x1

gallery_56959_1576_2199.jpg

gallery_56959_1576_5644.jpg

Attach wheel carrier using the four specific bolts.

gallery_56959_1576_8657.jpg

Prepare for wheel cover back plate

Install left/right retainers

• Wheel cover back plate retainer : 90189-06235 x2

gallery_56959_1576_525.jpg

Attach wheel cover back plate

• Bolts/washers from existing supplies x2 (picture shows left & right)
  • Wheel cover back plate trim clip : 90467-06020-CO x1

gallery_56959_1576_6787.jpg

gallery_56959_1576_442.jpg

gallery_56959_1576_5797.jpg

Attach spare wheel onto carrier, retain using three wheel nuts. Toyota new. price inc. p&p £18.

• Wheel nut : 90942-01033 x3

gallery_56959_1576_12862.jpg

Attach wheel cover front.

Install rear wiper arm onto wiper motor spindle, using specific bolt, and attach cover.

Install tailgate handle.

Position the handle backing plate inside the tailgate, on the opposite side of where the external handle is placed. Insert the door opening activation bar attached to the backing plate, into the door lock. The handle backing plate is held in position, by two claws at one end, and a retainer. Slightly angle the handle backing plate to engage the claws onto the tailgate, and then swing into place to engage the retainer into its hole on the tailgate. Tighten the captive torx headed screw on the handle backing plate, into the retainer.

Position the two handle gaskets on the outside of the tailgate.

From within the tailgate, hold the door opening activation arm, so as to allow it to engage with the outer handle leg. The opening activation arm is kept tensioned with a spring, so as to always pull the outer handle into the closed position.

Then put the outer handle legs, through the two holes in the tailgate. When flush with the gaskets, gentle push the handle towards the middle of the tailgate. This is so that the handle engages with the opening activation arm, and the pivot bar on the handle backing plate. The smaller part of the outer handle can now be put into position. Tighten the captive torx headed screw on the handle backing plate into it. The torx screw is accessed from the side of the tailgate. Push grommet into access hole when finished.

gallery_56959_1576_8973.jpg

Install loom fully and connect to.

• High level brake light
  • Washer jet
  • Heated rear window
  • Earth point
  • Relay
  • Wiper motor
  • Tailgate locking mechanism
  • Tailgate handle (if smart key system)

gallery_56959_1576_6540.jpg

Install sub-woofer blank plate

• Used 4 rivets from existing supplies.

Install plastic condensation cover

Install trim panels

Install external chrome badges. Toyota new. price inc. p&p £62.

• Logo : 75471-42050
  • Toyota : 75441-42050
  • RAV4 : 75431-42030
  • XTR : GBNGA-5E341

gallery_56959_1594_5669.jpg

gallery_56959_1594_1309.jpg

Well that's all folks... thanks for following.

• Like 2

Just brilliant !!!

Thanks Charlie... :)

Hopefully not too bad for a first tutorial...

The next one I've got planned, will have more pictures...

Just brilliant !!!

Surprised we haven't seen Junebug asking to borrow this :) good write up Liz

Gus

I'm surprised Mr T hasn't asked to borrow it too - as a reminder of how to build and supply a RAV in the UK....................

• Like 2

Surprised we haven't seen Junebug asking to borrow this :) good write up Liz

Gus

Thanks Gus...

Although, I must confess that it was a joint effort with OH.. :)

He does have his uses... and as a reward I let him drive my RAV occasionally..

Just brilliant !!!

>Surprised we haven't seen Junebug asking to borrow this :) good write up Liz

Gus

I'm surprised Mr T hasn't asked to borrow it too - as a reminder of how to build and supply a RAV in the UK....................

Silly question time... :blush:

Why did Toyota actually stop selling the 4.3 RAV's in the UK with the spare wheel ?

I nearly bought one from Ireland with the spare wheel, so it's not like they stopped it everywhere ?

I would have thought they were all made in the same factory.. not one factory for spare wheel, and one factory for not...

Confused... dot com :(

It all seems to be about emmisions and carrying weight. I personally would rather have a wheel and not give a monkeys how the press compare the brand with other makes. The factory would make sky blue pink and a cherry on top if TGB ask for it.

Maybe they should listen to customers and not the graduate experts that run BMW minis.

• Like 1

Looking back, it was the first step in morphing the RAV into the anonymous people shifter that the 4.4 has become......................

Looking back, it was the first step in morphing the RAV into the anonymous people shifter that the 4.4 has become......................

I would agree with you about that...

I was flcking through a certain monthly new car mag recently... and I noticed that Ford are releasing a small SUV based on the Fiesta..

And what did it have on the back door... an external spare wheel.

Which comes without a spare wheel only in this country because the clowns in the marketing dept think they know what the customers want when they missed a simple trick - ask them.

The clown department lets down an otherwise superb manufacturer. If they sacked them they could wipe the floor with the competition.

Which comes without a spare wheel only in this country because the clowns in the marketing dept think they know what the customers want when they missed a simple trick - ask them.

The clown department lets down an otherwise superb manufacturer. If they sacked them they could wipe the floor with the competition.

Oppps sorry... :blush:

That will teach me not to just look at the pictures...

• 2 weeks later...

Links to this entire five part thread are now pinned.

• 1 month later...

Just brilliant !!!

Best tutorial on the Forum... Having seen this car very close up it passes the extremely critical eye of Farley easily.....

Light was good but not sunny and the paint match and quality of finish is Top notch and no mistake !

Why Oh why did Toyota not think to add this on the options list ? Few will take on such a large job and thats a shame cos it makes a good car perfect.. I as posted looked closely into doing this very conversion but the estimated cost of £1500 (Which is what this cost) was a little to much for me given my practical skills in doing a conversion like this are limited...

Fabulous job ! Very well done ........................

• Like 1

Just brilliant !!!

Best tutorial on the Forum... Having seen this car very close up it passes the extremely critical eye of Farley easily.....

Light was good but not sunny and the paint match and quality of finish is Top notch and no mistake !

Why Oh why did Toyota not think to add this on the options list ? Few will take on such a large job and thats a shame cos it makes a good car perfect.. I as posted looked closely into doing this very conversion but the estimated cost of £1500 (Which is what this cost) was a little to much for me given my practical skills in doing a conversion like this are limited...

Fabulous job ! Very well done ........................

Thanks Charlie... :cheers:

Did you see the red warning light on the tailgate when open ?

Knowing my luck, I won't ever get a puncture again .. :)

Edited by jolly-friar
  • Like 1

FGS Oor Liz......have a word wi' yourself....... "Did ye see my little red light..... "

Usually Charlie would use Sat Nav, but having a wee red light in yer window.......? Nah......could be misconstructed.....LOL.

Seriously, do really admire what you and Mr. O'Hare (OH?) have done, but purely from an aesthetic point on MY car, I feel it would spoil its "lines", yet it looks perfectly at home on your red wan.......strange.......me ah mean.....but would admit carrying a spare in its wee bag inside the car on longer jaunts is a Royal PINTA. Usually forget anyways......

Meant to say.........check oot ma four stars, eh.....?

• Like 1

FGS Oor Liz......have a word wi' yourself....... "Did ye see my little red light..... "

Usually Charlie would use Sat Nav, but having a wee red light in yer window.......? Nah......could be misconstructed.....LOL.

Seriously, do really admire what you and Mr. O'Hare (OH?) have done, but purely from an aesthetic point on MY car, I feel it would spoil its "lines", yet it looks perfectly at home on your red wan.......strange.......me ah mean.....but would admit carrying a spare in its wee bag inside the car on longer jaunts is a Royal PINTA. Usually forget anyways......

Meant to say.........check oot ma four stars, eh.....?

Oppps... comment changed, past my bed time so probably not thinking.. lol

The spare wheel attached to the tailgate is perhaps a marmite thing ?

For me, either I had the wheel in the boot, and couldn't get to the storage things or, one time got a thorn in the sidewall of the tyre, and the spare was at home ! lol

Now you have four stars, do we have to call you Sir Kevin ? lol

Kev I actually think the presence of the wheel on the back adds to the looks.. Sort of a do all and I aint scared thing !

Doing these mods is not just about resolving a problem but the satisfaction from a job well done ? For me it was when I heavily into the bike scene where I spent much money and huge amounts of time building the bikes I enjoyed fir so many years and endless track days and racing..

I just cant find the same enthusiasm that I had with the bikes to use on cars ....

Liz I hope you dont have a puncture............. But if you do ................

Where once my enthusiasm was spent............

Picture017.jpg

Picture044.jpg

Picture022-2.jpg

Picture161.jpg

garden007.jpg

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b95/bonydal/Picture137.jpg

• Like 1