Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen Washer Problem

jambbie

My 2004 Avensis window washer won't function. I have pulled the 25A fuse and there's no problem with that. There's no noise trying to force the water out when I press the stalk inside the car and its not leaking. Any help appreciated.

Hi Jambbie,

I had the same trouble with my windscreen rear washer. so i set about fixing it. I checked a few things first before I dismantled the mudguards and sheets under the wheel arch on driver side. i took the rear side cieling trim off to make sure the pipe was not out or anything like that. That was silly since there was no noise i should have guessed that it is less likely never the less, it was worth checking as car had broken a hinge in the boot so required putting the tail back on after fix. Now, mine is a 1.8vvti liftback I did the following steps to fix it.

1. Take driver side front wheel off.

2. Take the trim off from under the wheel arch. If you are worried about knocking some plastic fasteners off, dont sweat i got mine off Amazon and these are called push rivets and are dirt cheap.

3. Once off, You will see the filler bottle for the washer liquid. It has two pumps attached to it. These are also dirt cheap with a used one from local scrap yard costing £5. I found that out of the two, one to the left was the rear one and right one was the front one. I tested it by disconnecting and got my brother to run the washers. You can wiggle the pump out BUT remember to be gentle and not break the seal where the pump sits. I have a picture or two and i wonder if i can attach them. anyways good luck. Oh and managed to attach images. Image 1163 is of a connecter for front fog lights i think, if you have them it wont be dangling and if you dont, this is what you are looking at.

Regards,

Waqar

post-127745-0-23775700-1376666547_thumb.

post-127745-0-24157000-1376666562_thumb.

post-127745-0-79642700-1376666571_thumb.

Thanks for that Waqar, appreciate it. I have a red plug dangling ie not plugged in, I have front fogs but they're working. I can't find a "socket" to plug the red cable in. I recently had my front shocks done I'm thinking the guy who did those unplugged the washer for some reason. He's away on holiday so can't contact him.

Was it working before?

Also, i dont know why you have nothing to put the red plug in. That is very odd. I know off cars (Toyota Glanza Namely) that have a Y junction pump. So thats like one pump for front and back. Oh that begs the question do you have a rear wiper. If you dont, that explains that red plug dangling as its there as standard wiring and you can leave it there. Its the one next to it that is your front one and thats the one that is not working. get somebody to try the wipers on when you are down there and if no noise wiggle the plug (black one) if still nothing you have a faulty pump. I personally wouldnt spend money on a new one as these things rarely go wrong and can be found very cheap at local breakers.

Keep us posted as to how it goes.

Regards,

Waqar

I have no rear wipers. I'll strip it back again and mess around with other connectors. If I cant sort it I'll have it looked at. Thanks for both your replies. Very helpful.

Yup red wire is redundant 100%. Your front pump is bad.

When mine went wrong, I tested the motors by reversing the connections to find the fault. This only works with the hatchback/estate, not the saloon with only one pump. I got a pair motors from the breakers. Good photos from Waqar. A simple tester used on the terminals of the pump plug will confirm there is power.

To remove the pump use a flathead screwdriver or similar to release retaining catch between pump and the reservoir, lift the white collar clip off the pump/s.

You may need a bucket if the reservoir is full to catch the washer fluid when you pull the pump away. (you probably knew this already).

Refit is reverse.

Good luck.

Konrad

• 1 year later...

I have a 2005 T4 T25 Avensis estate. Front wipers work, pump does not.

A question - just to confirm, does the bumper need to be removed for pump access, or can the pumps be accessed just by removing the wheel arch lining/cover/trim?

Thanks

Avenger

Thanks Gazza.

I'm assuming thefore that there are two ways to access the pumps on the Avensis:

Method 1. The way shown in the video for the Corolla, namely remove bumper (leaving wheel arch lining in place).

OR

Method 2. remove the wheel, removing the wheel arch lining (not removing the bumper) then access that way - I think is suggested by waqar_lionheart in the earlier post.

Unless anyone can see major issues with either, i'll give it a go (probably method 2) after I receive the pump I ordered.

Many thanks and look forward to hearing if anyone feels one method is better than the other.

• 3 weeks later...

Swapped it for a £10 pump off eBay and it works a treat. I removed wheel lining and undid a couple of screws on the bumper to prize the bumper (essential) away from the washer bottle.

Not sure whether full or even partial removal of the wheel arch liner was strictly neccesary, and don't think complete removal of the bumper is essential.

The pump needed a firm prizing with use of a screw driver to pop out of its groove.

Much better than £160 odd at the dealers.

Thank you for your advice.

• Like 1