Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Warning Lights And Mots

RWH

Hi all,

As a new member this is my first post. I am about to buy a 2002 Rav4 from a friend. The vehicle is in excellent condition but one thing worries me. It has been pointed out that an orange/yellow light stays on which is I am told a High speed exhaust sensor light?. The vehicle has an MOT with a note about the light. Will the new MOT rules still allow a pass as the emissions are OK

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

The rules concerning engine management lights being on are currently going through an introductory consultation period so at present you will only receive an advisory about the light being on, it will however eventually become a failure, when we don't know but I think it getting towards sooner rather then later know.

So far as the light being on it is quite possible that the car has a faulty oxygen sensor as your friend has said, but be aware the light has is on because the engine management has detected a fault and without proper diagnosis it could be a simple repair but it could also be a nightmare you won't know. Perhaps get a diagnosis and repair cost before committing to buy

You need to know exactly what the light is, the tester has to identify what the light is for. Whats a High Speed Exhaust sensor, an O2 sensor?? They can fail now on warning lamps for braking-ABS, ESC etc or seatbelt/airbag along with the main beam and indicator tell tales that also have to work correctly but as said other engine management ones are in the pipeline; Good advice above to get it checked and hopefully sorted before you buy.

Good advice in the previous posts. My son has a Corolla which has just failed its MOT because it has a light for the airbag showing. This has been an intermittent fault for more than 5 years but with the new rules it now needs an expensive fix if it is to pass an MOT.

David

Welcome to the forum, another Scott!

Having just had engine warning light problems with my 2003 petrol auto, I would also advise caution. You need to know the fault code to confirm the problem. In my case, it was an O2 sensor, but I ended up replacing all 4. On the drive back to Spain, the EML came on again, this time it says its the cats!! However, the warning has been cancelled, and the light has stayed out, so fingers crossed for me! I personally think that, at the sort of age of our cars, things start to wear, and that is to be expected. However, the petrol cars are generally bulletproof, if not the most economical on the road! Expect around 30mpg if driven carefully, mine returned 33+ on the run through France to Spain.

Replacing the 2 sensors will cost you around £300 plus labor using OEM (Denso) parts, and the job is DIY if you are able. Toyota charge considerably more!

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for all your help and advice. I will let you know how I get on.

Regards,

I think this highlights a pitfall of buying from a mate.

If this car was in a garage you'd ask them to fix the problem or walk away - not so easy when it's a pal.

Hi, You have a point but the vehicle is in excellent condition just a pity about the light. I wonder if there is a way cut out the light by means of a fuse or some kind of re-set/ Thanks for your interest. *****.

The warning light will still have to show for other items if they go wrong on the car. The easiest way to get it out is to get the codes read and the issue sorted out properly

Alex

RWH, the warning light might be warning you of an imminent big bill - caveat emptor, etc.

OK you have convinced me. Get the code read and take it from there. Is this a service that somewhere like Halfords would do or is best to go to a Toyota Garage? Cheers, and thanks again for all your help.

Dear 5 star......buy yursell a cheapie on yebay.....dead pimps to use, and cancel your lights to see if they return. Make sure ye note any fault code numbers, and never plug the reader in with ignition on.......have key in your hand, plug it in, THEN switch on.

Edit.......2002 Rav may not have same Obd socket for plug in reader.....?

#####.

A lot of folks on here have code readers, so either shout out either in here or the general forum, I think there may be a code reader thread somewhere or you could buy one from about £15 on eBay, but the dealer may charge in excess of £60.

Gus

I seem to remember that you can short some pins together and count some flashing lights whilst stood on yer head or something like that. I would offer but a bit too far for me, then I would forget to pack the code reader :)

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/85601-members-with-obdiiobd2-code-readers/