Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Choice Of Options On New Toyota's

cviclark

Hi

I have a gen 3 Prius which is now four years old. Over many years of mainly company cars I have owned most marques and types of cars but my last three, since retirement, have been Lexus IS 200 Prius Gen 2 and Prius gen 3. I love the hybrid technology mainly because it is so smooth and quiet. Both Prius models were a compromise. I had to fight to get rev sensors and wheels and tires I wanted and a spare wheel. Both were the first cars in over 15 years not to have folding mirrors. To get in and out of my garage I have to walk around the car and fold them in. I have learned the hard way that low profile tyres ruin the ride, are prone to damage the wheels, expensive, noisy and do not wear well. They spoiled the Lexus. Reflections on the glass have been a problem for me on both my Prius. I now aim to change to the new Auris Estate (sorry Sport Hatch). The dash on the ICON petrol I tried had worse reflections than the Prius and the seats were too hard and short so I am waiting to try the EXEL. The problem is I do not want 17" wheels, or privacy glass I can have 15" or 16" on other specs but not the EXEL. There is space for a space saver so I hope my Prius spare will fit but why not offer one as standard, I have yet to meet any experienced driver who trusts repair kits. The official fuel consumption figures are a joke anyway. I will miss my head up display. All the cars I have liked best I was able to slide across and get out the passengers door. Why do we need a center consul on an Auto? Same with the rear seats, SAAB, Volvo, Citroen, Merc used to make a flat floor from lifting the back seat and locking the rear seat back forward. This stopped heavy loads sliding forward.

For me the cab of my Gen 2 Prius was nice but the Gen 3 goes better. I just hope I like the new Auris .On paper it looks good. but with all the parts in Toyota's bin why cant we pick the spec we want rather than what Toyota dictate? And the colour choice makes me glad I am not fussy about colours

Hello Ian - welcome to TOC.

Think the issue with car specifications is common to most manufacturers of mass produced cars - the manufacturer decides which features go into whichever spec, presumably based on past experience and what sells. The specs of mass produced cars are a compromise targeted to suit the majority of people, and the amount of tailoring to individual requirements does tend to be limited

Most manufacturers are adopting the repair kits in preference to supplying spare wheels, supposedly to save weight - although I'm sure the majority of owners would prefer to stick with the spare wheel.

Looking at the Auris brochure (the estate is the Touring Sports), re the seats the main difference between the specs is the covering (although the Excel spec does have electric lumbar support on the driver's seat). So if you find the seats in the Icon too hard and too short, the same may well apply to the Excel.

Manufacturers have no choice but to use the EU fuel consumption tests in their literature, advertising, etc. Although a recent ASA ruling against Audi will require manufacturers to insert something into their adverts around the fact that the EU fuel consumption figures will probably not be attainable in real life.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links