Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Accelerator Problem With 2012 Scion Iq

Sensha

We had several instances where the acceleration with our automatic transmission iQ would suddenly stop. You could push the throtle to the firewall, but the engine just would not accelerate.

I took it in one time to the dealer, but they examined it and found no fault. Several weeks later, the same problem appeared again, so I again made an appointment to have it evaluated. This time, the problem continued all of the way into the dealer, and as I entered a parking lot enroute to the dealership (this due to having to take a short cut because of our one way highway access roads in the Houston area, the traction control light and the check engine light came on at the same time. (Previously, the car had not thrown a code.)

After accessing the code, the determination was made that the accelerator unit (the pedal and the dual rheostat device that sends the throttle signal) was defective. A replacement was ordered, and it is due to be installed tomorrow.

Stay tuned.

• Like 1

Sounds like this could be a candidate for another safety/non-safety..recall/non-recall issue.

Will this instance prove to be isolated, or the start of a trend?

(Assuming it is not the later EGR valve starting to behave like the old ones...joy)

• 5 years later...

I have a 2013 Scion IQ (auto/cvt). I had the 'check engine' and 'trac control' lights come on a few years ago..  I was driving on city streets. All I noticed was that the car didn't respond as it should when I gave it gas. ( nothing drastic )  I ran the codes.  It said the gas pedal was the problem.  I removed the pedal assembly. (it's easier to unplug it that way.

I unplugged it and looked at the inside of the plug.  All looked fine.  Plugged the pedal back in and all was good then. (I'm sure I avoided a  $500 bill )

Same problem just occurred a few years later. I didn't bother running the codes. I just unplugged/re-plugged the pedal.  Saved another $500.   

Here's a scary one.  I was driving the car the first light snow of the year.  On a city street, going slow on level road.  Just maintaining speed..... not slowing ..... not speeding up...... not turning. All of a sudden the car snapped sideways and I'm heading towards the curb.  The damn stability control had a brain !Removed! and applied the brakes in such a fashion as to throw me sideways !!!!!!!!!!   Luckily it released the brakes in time for me to save the car.  Of course the dealer thought I was full of it.  They recommended I put new tires on it  ( only 15K on them ) 

If I was on the highway or my car sent me into oncoming traffic ,  the results could have had deadly results. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links