Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 Rav 4 - Fuel Consumption

Lozboz

Hi,

I took delivery of a 2013 Rav 4 Invincible - auto in April this year. It has the standard 2.2 150bhp diesel engine.

In the main I am delighted with the car. It joins two other Toyotas (2013 Auris Excel and a 1990 MR2)

I have issues with no spare wheel, the TRK and (optimistic?) promises from Toyota to sort me out with a space saver by December !

My main issue is the fuel consumption which my dealer seems to think is average.

I have driven just over 3000 miles since new and on a 400 mile run this week-end with 95% on traffic free motorway and A roads, the on-board display gave me just 36.3 mpg. Without getting anal about it, brim to brim fuelling seems to support this calculation.

Speed was always below 75mph and for 90% of the time was with the cruise control engaged. Two passengers and nothing on the roof, I even had the Eco button switched on.

My question is whether this is normal/average?

I'm not heavy footed and my previous two cars with more powerful diesel engines and auto boxes consistently returned 52mpg (Mercedes) and 45 mpg (Audi).

Thanks

Spot on mpg, Laurie, and at only 3000 miles exactly what you should expect. Once loosened off a bit, it will......probably return exactly the same....!!!!!! Sorry.....

Since this is yer first post, one presumes you didnae have a wee look / research on here re the mpg to expect....?

Well documented ad nauseum......muchos welcomos to The Club anyway....and the real world of the 2AF engine.

Big Kev :thumbsup:

36MPG from the 2.2 with Auto and D-CAT? You clearly are driving in an economic way.

PS.... Try without the cruise - if the latest RAVs programming of the cruise control is like the previous one, you might find you are gentler on the throttle then the CC is ;)

I find CC a bit erratic to be honest, fine on long level stretches of road but as soon as any hills appear I turn it off, as Hoovie says, I think my right foot does a better job

You could always stick a chip kit on it, my GM's RAV has benefited from one on it

Kingo :thumbsup:

Your GrandMa got a Rav.....?

General Manager or Genetically Modified.........take your choice :D: :D:

Mpg is the new Rav's Achilles heel.

I would not consider buying one until it is improved. I hope / expect the usual new engine change mid-life will sort this out. (BMW engine perhaps?)

In the meantime we have to accept it lags well behind some of the competition.

I hope / expect the usual new engine change mid-life will sort this out. (BMW engine perhaps?)

Toyota are only taking the 1.6 and 2.0 versions of BMW engines, and it will be be at least a couple of years IF they ever go in a RAV

Kingo :thumbsup:

36MPG from the 2.2 with Auto and D-CAT? You clearly are driving in an economic way.

PS.... Try without the cruise - if the latest RAVs programming of the cruise control is like the previous one, you might find you are gentler on the throttle then the CC is ;)

Oops.....good point about it being a Nottymatic, Hoovie...........I totally missed that...........36mpg+......? Driving in yer bare feet is dangerous, Laurie.......LOL.

I can't get 36 unless going down hill with a following wind.

Hi,

Thanks to all who have replied. Apologies for resurrecting an old topic, I really thought that I'd searched and found nothing specific, I may have been looking for the new model. Really sorry it annoys me on other forums when a newbie brings up something that's been debated to death.

So....I've bought a gas guzzler ! ...bum! Luckily I don't do a high annual mileage now that I'm a retired old g*t ! I'll try not using the cruise control and may even try the Sport button....

Still like the vehicle, just need to sort out the space saver ( fat chance!)

Thanks for the info and being kind to a newbie.

Has anyone installed a rear accessory socket in a 2013 model yet. How could they get that so wrong?

Cheers

Laurie

Apology no in the least required, mucker........they have let me stay on for years, so you are totally safe. You have bought a cracking car, but FFS tell me.......are you saying there is no 12v outlet in the back of yer Rav.....? (Or should ah do a search.....LOL........?)

Are we talking rear or boot.....or god forbid......both?

Guy has asked about a socket in his 4.4. There may be a wire behind one of the panels that is used for other markets or if not a feed can be created.

Hi Big Kev,

The 2013 Rav4 has just one accessory socket in the dash and that's it.

Nothing in the back of the vehicle for cool boxes, dog box fans etc.

Also that one front socket is not live unless the ignition is on.

I have yet to have a root around to see if there is any lead lurking behind a panel. I wondered where the auxiliary power for a tow socket would be connected?

Cheers

Usually at the front. They don't put anything that heavy at the back and so go up to the Battery. I wouldn't rule out something lighter duty at the back though. You might need to do some digging!

One word .... Lindop tuning kit .... Well ok 3 then ...

I think your MPG is quite good for what is a large estate car ..

Trouble is people read the publicised figures and expect something like which rarely happens.

In all honesty I think the 2.2 engine is not perhaps the most frugal unit in a modern car and it goes back to 2006 but in comparison to say a CRV or a Kuga it's on the ball...

London tuning kit in my car has paid for its self without doubt.. Add the far nicer power curve and driving experience and I wonder why everyone does ent get one..

I am looking to change to an Auotomatic quite soon so the tuning kit will be sold which of course means getting a chunk of the outlay back.. New car will be getting said kit bought and installed as its first add on ....

Not unless they have come up with a new one Charlie. Kev's T180 kit played havoc with his SR150. I've never heard a noise like it.

The king of pies might have something special by now.

Not unless they have come up with a new one Charlie. Kev's T180 kit played havoc with his SR150. I've never heard a noise like it.

Didnt make off noises, but the new Lindop chip I tried on my SR150 caused the car to keep going into Limp Mode as soon as the accelerator was pushed down :(

The problem with Kevs was it was the older kit programmed to the new vehicle. Ive had no problems with the new adjustable kits on the new models, my GM won't have a car without one now, has saved him a load of money in fuel too

Steak & Onion :thumbsup:

Methinks the more recent adjustable wans will be able to cure the problem,Don min, but if I recall correctly, Hoovie tied a chip kit on his 150 SR in its early days and he "had some issue" therewith.

Edit......overlapped with both above postments......spooky.

Mr Hoover did indeed have an early kit too, it was some time ago. Things move on very quickly in the chip world :D:

Can you make a 3 cylinder Aygo more fuel efficient Kingo? My Sirion has the same engine.

im a new rav4 2.2 icon owner -- so far 46mpg .. 1400 miles on the clock

Manual or Auto though?

yes the manual, what mpg is every1 else getting?

around the town with a/c on, it was getting 37, now with normal country driving 46 mpg .. wonder if it could get 50+ with motorway? (2.2)

lovin the new icon :p