Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake Squeak First Thing

sanzomat

I've noticed that when I'm pulling off my drive first thing in the morning the brakes seem to be rubbing and make quite a noticable squeal. This is obviously noticable because the 1st few yards are in silent EV mode so the squeal really stands out and slightly spoils the effect of gliding away. Once the engine kicks in you don't notice it anymore and by the next time the engine has turned off (presumably when its warmed up enough) there is no no sign of any squeal when either pulling away from rest or under braking. I'm guessing this is due to a small amount of corrosion forming overnight on the discs and this probably wears off the first time you brake (using the brakes, not regen) I've never noticed this on other cars though, either form inside or outside (e.g. when wife or son drive away) and my mortorcycle (that gets used a lot less so more chance of disc surface issues) just makes a gentle rubbing noise from the pads dragging as you push it out, no squeak/squeal. Is this common/normal? Has anyone else found a get around? Does it go once the car is a few months old?

Hmm.. not something i noticed on my car, it could be all this morning dew we had lately? I live by the sea so the air around here is more salty than most, but cant say i had any corrosion either (not that i would expect some so early).

Perhaps its the warm nights mixed with the cool mornings that is causing the pads to flex a bit so they are slightly out and cause a squeal till they warm up a bit more? ... really clutching at straws, my knowledge of cars is quite rubbish really.

Apparently it's quite a common occurrence in the US on the Prius V, which is their equivalent of the Prius Plus. It's mentioned on the Prius Chat forums. Mine doesn't do it, although I did hear it once just after I first got it, the discs were a bit rusty from it standing on the forecourt, but it hasn't done it again.

I have had a customer complaint of a noise from their brakes only when first pulling away, they described it as a bit like high pitched whale song. The noise goes very soon after driving away quicker if the brakes where applied. After speaking to Toyota I was given part numbers for a pair of modified rear calliper carriers and brake pad fittings. This cured the noise.

Recently Toyota released a technical service bulletin titled " Prius+ Howling noise from rear brakes" requiring one or both of the above repairs depending on chassis number. The bulletin reference is CP-0047T-0713.

• Like 1

I have had a customer complaint of a noise from their brakes only when first pulling away, they described it as a bit like high pitched whale song. The noise goes very soon after driving away quicker if the brakes where applied. After speaking to Toyota I was given part numbers for a pair of modified rear calliper carriers and brake pad fittings. This cured the noise.

Recently Toyota released a technical service bulletin titled " Prius+ Howling noise from rear brakes" requiring one or both of the above repairs depending on chassis number. The bulletin reference is CP-0047T-0713.

Thanks for the info. I'll put up with it till the first service and if its still doing it I'll ask them to check that bulletin. The high pitched whale song comparison is quite accurate (although I've never actually heard a real live whale, only recordings!)

• 6 months later...

Update: I've now had my 10,000 mile service and I mentioned the bulletin number from Devon Aygo for my whale song brakes. They had to order parts so it was a return visit but they seem to have replaced the caliper brackets and pads and it also looks like they have put new discs and new callipers on as they all look very shiny and new. It was a warranty fix so I didn't get any paperwork.

Anyway, I don't get any whale song any more, just a nice silent glide away!

So, thank you Devon Aygo - if I hadn't quoted the bulletin number to them they might have still been scratching their heads!

Don't know if its a different thing or its linked, but my brakes make a whining/squeaking noise when I apply them the same time as turning the steering wheel on the Yaris. The pads have been measured as 50% worn, so they will get replaced, or the dealer will as its getting part ex'd next month. Just never had it before in the Honda Jazz I used to drive so its a new thing for me.

Having now burned my first whole tank of petrol since getting the rear brake noise sorted I'm wishing I'd done it sooner. This tankful has been pretty much the same type of driving as usual and recently I've been stuggling to get more than 48 (computer) but this tank has come out at 56 (computer) I can't think of any other reason for this improvement so I'm thinking that the brakes may have previously been rubbing all the time. I've also noticed I can now maintain a steady speed on EV on roads that would previously have required the engine to fire up and also I can go much further on EV before I run out of charge. My thinking is that whilst running on electric power the available power is much less so a small difference in rolling resistance is more noticable than in petrol mode. I'll be watching the next few tankfulls with interest...

• 2 weeks later...

Having now burned my first whole tank of petrol since getting the rear brake noise sorted I'm wishing I'd done it sooner. This tankful has been pretty much the same type of driving as usual and recently I've been stuggling to get more than 48 (computer) but this tank has come out at 56 (computer) I can't think of any other reason for this improvement so I'm thinking that the brakes may have previously been rubbing all the time. I've also noticed I can now maintain a steady speed on EV on roads that would previously have required the engine to fire up and also I can go much further on EV before I run out of charge. My thinking is that whilst running on electric power the available power is much less so a small difference in rolling resistance is more noticable than in petrol mode. I'll be watching the next few tankfulls with interest...

thanks for posting this. I got a Prius + new in November and have been putting up with the brake noise as it was only in the morning and only for a very short time .

I have now booked it in for tomorrow and will quote the bulletin number ,hopefully they will put it right

i took the car in for the brake squeal and gave them the bulletin number.

they told me there is a new bulletin number and they are changing my discs on tuesday.

i will let you all know if this stops the noise

• 10 months later...

i took the car in for the brake squeal and gave them the bulletin number.

they told me there is a new bulletin number and they are changing my discs on tuesday.

i will let you all know if this stops the noise

I have a Prius+ and have also heard this noise. I'd be

interested to hear if this sorted your problem. Do you remember the new

bulletin number?

Thanks!