Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1998 Avensis 2.0 Td Intermittent Starting Problem

Lightningpass

Hi hope someone can shed some light on this...

If I turn the key it wont always start, or even attempt to turn over the engine. All of the lights, including the glow plug light come on and work fine every time. It takes me about 3 or attempts of turning it off an on again to get it to start up. When It does decide to start up it fires straight up and runs like a dream.

I have two keys and they both do the same, the central locking all works fine as well.

Please help :(

If when you turn the key it doesn't even turn the engine,i.e seemingly electrically dead then the first thing to check is whether there's a connection problem to the starter.

When you start it do you did you notice whether the dashlights or interior light dimmed or stayed on at a constant bightness ??

If you haven't noticed then try starting it with the lights on if it's at night or the courtesy light during the day,basically you're checking to see if the starter's drawing a current when you turn the key and it's failing to start.If it is drawing a current then the lights will noticeably dim and it suggest there's a problem with the starter motor and not the connection.

If the lights don't dim at all nor do the dashlights then the starters not drawing any current which suggests an wiring/connection fault.

One other effective but rather crude way to test the starter motor is to take a screwdriver and use it to bridge the two +ve and -ve terminals at the solenoid.If the screwdriver touches them both then it should spark like mad and turn slightly meaning the starters ok but be careful it's quite tricky to bridge both contacts and not touch any other part of the engine,body,frame and short it.As I said,effective but crude and not recommended if you haven't done it before.

Typically,with a wiring fault it'll be intermittent,it may be ok and connecting properly when you test it but only start to play up later when you try and start it so check all the main wiring connections from the Battery to the starting and charging curciuts looking for contacts that look loose or corroded or wires that are split or in bad condition but check all the connections and contacts first.Where the wires connect to the terminals are usually the weakest point,that or earths.

Thanks for the reply.

The Battery is fine - this was my first thought as my Estima did the same when it was weak. Ive seen that a faulty ignition switch would give the same symptoms and this is a common fail on the early avensis, I have ordered one today and will try this first, failing that I think youre right there is a dodgy connection somewhere which i doubt ill ever find so will commit to an auto electrician.

Based on the age of your car and the fact that it leaps into life when it does work I would suspect the ignition switch first or bad connections/earth. You can test the starter by taking a live feed to it straight from the Battery (with the ignition switch on so the engine can run). If the starter works like this then its probably your ignition switch - after all it is older than my step-son and probably works harder......

Hi LighteningPass,

There is a well documented article on ignition switch problem here on this form I dont know where search for ignition switch. Its a very very good how to guide kind of thing and I bet you can do it under 20mins. The fact that it starts straight up and doesnt as much as twitch otherwise suggests that It never makes the connection for ignition. I cant think of anyother reason why. Faults are always 2 kinds. Fuel or Electric. This is electric as it doesnt even crank.

Anyways thats why i think. Its a cheap fix.

oh found the link. hope it works. otherwise just search for ignition switch in avensis forum.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/44971-starting-problems-on-avensis-solution/

Best Regards,

Waqar

• Like 1

I was recently experiencing the same exact problem. The culprit? The stater motor. Bench test your starter motor, to see if its at fault. Mine now runs like a dream. You will also feel the difference when turning the key over at start ups, a lot quicker and start ups.

Fixed with a new ignition switch. Genuine toyota part says made in France on the box...no wonder they fail :)

• Like 1

I have had the same problem a few years back. It is a very common for the ignition switch to fail on Toyotas and other makes which use the same design of switch.

I changed mine in 20 minutes from first screw to the last.

I have seen on the forum a while back, that somebody added a press button to start the engine. This was without changing the faulty switch! It makes sense if you want to save petrol if you are in traffic a lot. It also saves where and tear on the switch.

I still have my old switch for those not familiar.

post-76861-0-62776400-1377162886_thumb.jpost-76861-0-21469900-1377162897_thumb.jpost-76861-0-56344900-1377162919_thumb.j

If you look at the centre of the white part of the switch, you will see where the end of the key goes in and turns the switch. The switch is screwed to the end of the ignition barrel.

Also on the black part which is the socket, you can see the legends to the pin-outs. There are 7 pins. This is vital if you get a non-Toyota part.

I did and the pin-out were in a different order, so it had to go back! I spotted the problem when removing the old switch and comparing. I installed a genuine Toyota part in the end.

Konrad

• Like 1