Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dunlop Bluresponse - New Tyre On The Block

cootuk

Looks like Dunlop Bluresponse is getting some really good reviews in the German magazines.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Dunlop-Sport-BluResponse-Launched.htm

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?s_p=Dunlop-Sport-BluResponse-205_55-R16-91V&details=Ordern&typ=R-231971&cart_id=15331948.110.12072&ranzahl=4&Breite=205&Herst=Dunlop&Quer=55&Felge=16&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=20&Transport=P&F_F=1&dsco=110&Cookie=zanox-18475992C98538813&sowigan=So&m_s=3&x_tyre_for=PKWSo&rsmFahrzeugart=PKW

My Cinturato P7 are at about 2-3mm on the front with mainly city driving, so I might be tempted by these as they are the same price or even slightly cheaper (swapped to 205/55/16).

As an added bonus Dunlop are giving £10 per 2 tyres fuel vouchers with some retailers, though tesco petrol.

Promotion is available between 1st July 2013 to 30th September 2013

(a) 2 x qualifying Dunlop Tyres speed rated H or V and receive a £10 Fuel voucher

( 4 x qualifying Dunlop Tyres speed rated H or V and receive a £20 Fuel voucher

They do look like an interesting option - quiet and B-rated for rolling resistance. Sadly they don't appear to be available in the Gen3 17" size.

I fitted the BluResponse tyres on all four corners about two weeks ago for my Gen 2 Prius T4. I got them at Kwik Fit for £101 per corner. BlackCircles were quite similar in price at the time. They were chosen for their wet grip primarily but the fuel economy and noise labels also played their part. I have covered over 1000 miles on them now and can testify that their dry and wet grip is very good.Just as well as I, and a hundred other cars, had to do an emergency stop in the wet on the M61 yesterday after a Range Rover drove into the back of a Jag on the fast lane, and despite minimal damage, it was there they then decided to park up and exchange details!!! Anyway, the previous tyres were Jinyu YH12 tyres put on by Arnold Clark when I bought the car second-hand. These were cheap tyres and were pretty poor in the wet, despite being labelled C for wet grip and E for fuel economy. In fact, the tyres were so poor in the wet that the Prius traction control would kick in when leaving from the traffic lights in the rain. The BluResponse tyres are a lot quieter, have far more grip, and have better handling. They also give me about an extra 3+ mpg on the motorway. I tend to set the cruise control at 75 mph on my regular (hilly) trip between Glasgow and Manchester. Having just returned from Manchester today my trip computer says 470 miles at 57.4 mpg. I know that it isn't accurate but it's still up over 3 mpg on previous trips (done in hotter drier weather) so I am pretty pleased about that.

Overall I would recommend the BluResponse tyres. I used to have a Gen 1 Auris Hybrid T-Spirit and found that the original tyres (Michelin?) squealed around some bends and never returned great mpg on the motorway despite being energy savers. Although that may be to do with the Gen 1 Auris shape and the extra 90kg in kerb weight it has over my Gen 2 Prius.

Hmm.. first tyres i seen better than C

Think i will keep them in mind when i need to change, looks like they do mine "225/45R17"

Hmm, don't make them for my Yaris tyre sizes...

Still, quite happy with my Conti Premium 5's so far :)

Yes I got these Dunlops recently for my Gen 2 (see previous thread!) and I immediately noticed how much quieter they were.

My MPG seems to be about the same or slightly higher.

Not enough rain to test that side of things yet(!), but I am definitely happy with them.

• 2 months later...

I was thinking of buying Dunlop blueresponse,but ended up buying Yokohama c2 drive.I would like to ask you is what was your tyre spec especially speed rating is it H or V.mine I bought is 195/55/16r/H

Your speed rating will be on either the driver or passenger B pillar next to the air pressure. Remember you can go up in ratings not down from the manufacture specification

Think they are H rated from factory

Alex

I was thinking of buying Dunlop blueresponse,but ended up buying Yokohama c2 drive.I would like to ask you is what was your tyre spec especially speed rating is it H or V.mine I bought is 195/55/16r/H

I got: 195/55 R16 87V

• 2 weeks later...

Your speed rating will be on either the driver or passenger B pillar next to the air pressure. Remember you can go up in ratings not down from the manufacture specification

Think they are H rated from factory

Alex

Hi Alex

Any idea why you can't go down please?

I've often wondered why the speed rating needs to be so high when the car's software limits the top speed (99/106/112 mph in Gen 1/2/3 Prius respectively). Of course, if you ever reached these speeds, you'd see a much higher indication on the speedometer (probably about 120 in a Gen 3), thanks to EU meddling than makes accurate speedos illegal! - Buy a Prius in Japan or USA, for example, and they're dead accurate.

It would seems logical to me that as long as the rating exceeds the car's capability, it should satisfy both legal and insurer requirements, and for that matter safety.

We posed this very question to Toyota officials in advance for the Prius 10th anniversary bash at the Heritage Motor Centre Warwickshire in 2007, but the answer "to cope with the extra torque provided by the electric motor" caused more than a little scoffing, given that very heavy braking on a grippy road surface must surely be more demanding than acceleration.

OK, so for a Gen 3 Prius with a limited 112 mph top speed, perhaps S rating (112 mph) might be a bit too close for comfort (and safety margin), surely a T (118), U (124), H (130) and V (149) are OTT?

What am I missing?

regards, PeteB (2012 Prius T3)

It not really to do with how fast the vehicle can theoretically go as anything above 70 is illegal and we would only need low rated tyres.

It is to do with acceleration and braking forces transferred through the tyres taking into account the vehicles weight and power. Thats why you can also get a heavier load rating on tyres as well if for instance you are towing regularly.

Alex

• Like 1

It not really to do with how fast the vehicle can theoretically go as anything above 70 is illegal and we would only need low rated tyres.

It is to do with acceleration and braking forces transferred through the tyres taking into account the vehicles weight and power. Thats why you can also get a heavier load rating on tyres as well if for instance you are towing regularly.

Alex

Thanks.

It's a shame they can't come up with a more meaningful rating name the "speed" then.

As you say, there's a legal limit, but I see plenty of people doing well over 70 on the local 40 limit road, never mind faster roads. (Plus, living in Norfolk, I have to drive a long way to see a motorway!)

I have had these tyres in 205 width fitted to my car for a few months now and am very pleased with them. I got them through Black Cirles and worked out at around £250-260 for the 4 if i remeber rightly which was a lot cheaper than the main tyre dealers. Excellent grip in wet and dry and very quiet. Fuel economy showed in mid 50's during the warm wether but now back to the mid 40's, but still better than what was there before.

Would definately recommend.

Thanks to those that have commented on the Dunlops - they were on my short list, but it helped me to decide to go for these - I've ordered two to replace the front tyres on my Prius T3 when it goes in for its 20k service next week.