Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T22 - How To Take Out Indicator, What Bulbs To Use, Water In Trunk?

Mariius

Car: Toyota Avensis T22 2.0 D-4D Estate 2001.

First question: when I bought my car, left indicator leaked water in it. It is full of water write now, so I want to take it out and fix it. The problem is I don't understand how to take it out? Do you need to take out the whole front lamp in order to take out the left indicator lamp? In that case, do you need to remove front bumper? Did anybody tried to take it out? Any tips and tricks?

Second question: You know that bit in interior, where you can control AC and fan speed, temperature. There are three lamps which light up those 3 handles. The problem is, when I bought the car, those bulbs were removes. I have no idea which ones to buy now. Maybe you know their code, or something that would help me to explain, what bulb I do need in the shop?

Third question: in estate's trunk, there are two extra compartments, left and right, where you can store your tools for example. Here is the problem: it rained quiet heavily last week and those compartments contain water right now. I checked lamps, took them out, reassembled them back, and yet it still leaks water in my trunk. Do you have any idea what could cause this?

Thanks.

OK - use the search facilty

I Can tell you about water in boot even though I don't have an estate I suffer from the same problem. The cause is reportedly toyota unusual oversight with spot welding. If you take a closer look along the canals where the trimmings come together when boot is closed you might see that instead of spot weld, a decent paint job is relied on. Anyways having said that I am close to solving mine as I have started taking off the boot lining along the walls of my car boot and next time when I have some spare time and its not raining I Ann gonna remove the lining and take a bottle if water and pour it in suspected places and see what's causing this. As far as draining the water goes, there is a rubber bung in the spare tyre well as well as on the driver side compartment where the jack goes.

There is this topic already in the forum.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Waqar

Hi Marius,

With the bonnet open look behind the headlamp where it is next to the indicator unit, you will notice a hole in the front wing. Looking through the hole, you will see a tang catch which is part of the molding of the indicator unit.

To remove the front indicator unit, use a long screwdriver to carefully press on the tang and pull the indicator at the same time. This will release the indicator.

Don't pull to far as the wires are attached. Just twist the bulb holder to complete remove indicator.

The indicator unit has two breather holes, one high and the other lower than the bulb mounting. I think the lower breather hole is blocked! The unit itself cannot be taken apart.

I have had to change my bulbs because the orange paint came off the bulbs, so I have done this before.

Konrad

Hi again,

Regarding the Air-con/heater illumination, Frostyballs is correct about the type of bulbs.

The bulbs are the same bulb the illuminate the instrument panel, these should be easy to get. The bulbs are common with most makes of cars.

The water in the boot/trunk area is a known Avensis problem. There is a vent which lets the water in sometimes. This is supposed to be a one way vent. Waqar is on the case, so we should know what he has found out.

Now to change my wheel bearing and front brakes.

Konrad

Thanks. I successfully removed my front indicator. Now all I need to do is to somehow fix it...