Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen 7 Celica Rough Eingine Noise At 3000 Rpm?

Adam R

Hi there,

when accelerating and de-celarating past 3000 rpm I hear a rough whirring noise from the eingine.anything before or after the eingine sounds smooth.

Can anyone impart in knowledge on this?

As you have a pre face lift 140, has the engine been using any oil?.

Thanks for the reply

It is quite good on the oil front,doesnt drink to much,wasn't having the noise prior to the service I put it in for.

Would you suspect they may of put in the wrong grade of oil in?

It's possible 10W40 may have been used instead of 5W30, as it's cheaper..so it's worth asking whoever serviced the car what viscosity was used. A 10W takes longer to reach the top of the engine on cold start, which causes damage over a long period of time.

You could be lucky and just have a loose heat shield above the exhaust which is vibrating around 3000 revs. This is quite common on the Gen 7, and easily rectified. Without listening to the noise, it's difficult to diagnose.

Ok ill look into that.

Thanks for ur feedback mate,very helpful.

Is there there a link on here to correct the heat shield issue?

Also ive had a look and the metal shield behind eingine which I assume is a heat shield is cracked and vibrates when revved.

Would you diagnose this as the problem?

Could you advise on how to correct this problem?

Normally, Adam, the shield rusts around the bolt holes, and the vibration is resolved by removing the shield and fitting larger washers between the securing bolts and the shield itself. Spray the bolts with penetrating oil, the day before you plan to undo them..and hopefully this will cure the vibration you are experiencing.